• Show
Clear All

• Gase "Really Frustrated" With Run Game

Adam Gase "really frustrated" with Denver Broncos' running game
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 11/06/2014 09:04:00 PM MST| UPDATED: 9 MIN. AGO

Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, right
    Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, right (John Leyba, Denver Post file)
    There will be blocks.

Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase did not mince words Thursday about his disappointment in his team's running game.

"Anytime your two best runs were the last two runs of the game, that's probably more than a disappointment," Gase said. "I was really frustrated with the fact that we did not run the ball better. We do need to find a way to do it better. It's something we have to keep working on. We have to find a way to get these guys covered up (blocked), get our backs back to the line of the scrimmage and see what they can do.

"It's hard to make any ground when you're getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. That's where it starts. It starts with those front five guys making sure we've got guys covered up. Then it's the backs' job to find the hole and hit it."

Up front, it appears there will be changes. Right tackle Paul Cornick was limited with a shoulder injury Wednesday and was held out completely from practice Thursday.

That's not a good sign for playing Sunday. If Cornick can't play at Oakland, there are two ways the Broncos can replace him. The simplest would be to reinsert Chris Clark at right tackle, where he started the first five games of the season.

"Whatever my job is this week, I'm going to do it to the best of my ability," Clark said.

Another option would be to shift Louis Vasquez from right guard to right tackle. A guard by nature, Vasquez moved out to play his first game ever at right tackle last season in place of Orlando Franklin, who was sidelined with sprains to his left knee and left ankle.

Moving Vazquez to right tackle this week, though, would also mean inserting backup center Will Montgomery or starting center Manny Ramirez at right guard. Montgomery or Ramirez, then, would stay put at center.

Either way, the Broncos are serious about improving their running game. Running back Montee Ball is getting close to returning from his groin injury. Even with Ronnie Hillman running well in his first three starts, the Broncos rank only 27th in the 32-team NFL with an average of 94.1 yards rushing per game.

And last weekend against the New England Patriots, a quality opponent, the Broncos had only 28 yards on 15 carries until C.J. Anderson came off the bench to gain 8 and 7 yards on the final two run-out-the-clock carries of the game.

"We've got to man up and start blocking better," Gase said.
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...s-running-game

Hope it sees an improvement fast. Not having a running game could be our downfall this season. The return of Ball should help, I hope Juwan gets more chances too.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Between this article and the article about Elway having a meeting with the team, it doesn't seem like Dove Valley was a happy place this week.

I like it.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

You can tell that they don't respect the Raiders that much to be shuffling the o-line like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
        You can tell that they don't respect the Raiders that much to be shuffling the o-line like this.
        it has nothing to do with the Raiders. it has to do with the inability to run the ball............
        sigpic

Comment

At this point, it's not going to happen this year unless they get some new guys up front that can block. Gase is reaping what he sowed by running Alex Gibbs off.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDiver View Post
            At this point, it's not going to happen this year unless they get some new guys up front that can block. Gase is reaping what he sowed by running Alex Gibbs off.
            Yea I was disappointed when that happened. Too bad, too. We will need a much better running game when Manning retires.
            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDiver View Post
              That's not true. Before the NE game we were seeing consistent improvements. They can improve, it's just a matter of the coaches nuttin up and making the right calls.
              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                That's not true. Before the NE game we were seeing consistent improvements. They can improve, it's just a matter of the coaches nuttin up and making the right calls.
                And we'll see how they play with re-shifting the line again. Hope this helps.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                  They won't improve much without a change in philosophy and talent. they are bottom of the league in attempts even though they are winning most games by enough to be running the clock out. it just isn't very important to them to run the ball. if it was, they would do it more often.
                  sigpic

Comment

Gase can be frustrated all he wants. The run game won't be anything special until they get better run blockers on the line and better running backs.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      They won't improve much without a change in philosophy and talent. they are bottom of the league in attempts even though they are winning most games by enough to be running the clock out. it just isn't very important to them to run the ball. if it was, they would do it more often.
                      That's what I mean. Our coaches and a lot of our fans think that we should just be able run the ball when we decide to do it. If you want to run the ball, you have to commit to it!! You have to run in practice, run in TC, and run in the games. We have zero commitment to it and our oh so bright OC is shocked that we don't have a run game.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                        Gase can be frustrated all he wants. The run game won't be anything special until they get better run blockers on the line and better running backs.
                        We'll see what happens when Ball gets back. He claims to have a new fire in him and that he's lost some weight.
                        Frankly we haven't had a good run blocking OL since Shanny was the head coach and it doesn't help that our backs are just running right into the line instead of being patient and looking for a new lane. Watch any of the successful backs, if their line can't produce a hole, they find a new lane and hit it.

Our backs don't do that, they just run and they are soft. These aren't the kind of backs that's looking to run over defenders and blast their way to the 1st down maker or beyond.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

According to SB Nation the Broncos are considering a shake up in the o-line. They are speculating that the Broncos are going to move Vasquez to RT, ManRam to RG, they are going to start Will Montgomery at C.

I think the Broncos are realizing this line has some major problems. I can't say that these changes are going to do any good but I guess we will see what happens.

Maybe this shift will help with running the ball better.
                          sigpic
                          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Wonder why Schofield isn't an option
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                              Wonder why Schofield isn't an option
                              Because our coaching staff would rather sit the young guys on the roster and let them develop on the bench instead of grow through the growing pains like how Seattle does. They buried Irving, green, and others like Harris until they were forced on the field due to injuries.

Comment

Working...
                              X