John Fox strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Fox strikes again

The Broncos head into halftime with a 13-7 deficit after an absolutely atrocious half of offensive football and coverage breakdowns in the secondary.

But perhaps the most mind-numbingly poor usage of time and misunderstanding of situational football once again reared it's head at the end of the half when John Fox decided to be John Fox.

The Rams offense was at it's own 30 with two minutes left in the half when Malik Jackson blew up a screen on 1st down to set up 2nd and 10. With three timeouts remaining, Fox decided to let the clock run on 2nd down which set up a 3rd and 4 and exactly 31 seconds left.

When the Broncos forced a stop on 3rd down, John Fox THEN decided it was the right time to call a timeout with all of 23 seconds remaining in the half.

After a nice punt to the Denver 17, Manning and the offense rolled up to the line and you guessed it....took a knee.

Good clock management?

Nope

Understanding of situational football?

Nope

St. Louis is far from a juggernaut on defense. A blown coverage allowed the Broncos to score deep from about midfield.

The fact that Fox failed to call a timeout on 2nd down and then called one on 3rd down means at best that he is indecisive. He blew a golden opportunity at another scoring drive knowing his team would get the ball to receive the 2nd half.

If you think I'm a John Fox hater, which I've been accused of (and rightfully so--I cannot stand his brand of conservative coaching) then perhaps you'll listen to Peyton Manning who was fuming mad about the misuse of time before the end of the half.

Will Petersen @PetersenWill
    Follow

With my own eyes: A fuming Peyton Manning on the sideline yelling at John Fox for no timeout after second down. Wow.
    He's mad because he understands football folks....too bad for the rest of us Mr. Magoo is running the team.

Hopefully the Broncos can pull out a victory despite John Fox's feeble efforts.

Originally posted by JesseH View Post

The Broncos head into halftime with a 13-7 deficit after an absolutely atrocious half of offensive football and coverage breakdowns in the secondary.

But perhaps the most mind-numbingly poor usage of time and misunderstanding of situational football once again reared it's head at the end of the half when John Fox decided to be John Fox.

The Rams offense was at it's own 30 with two minutes left in the half when Malik Jackson blew up a screen on 1st down to set up 2nd and 10. With three timeouts remaining, Fox decided to let the clock run on 2nd down which set up a 3rd and 4 and exactly 31 seconds left.

When the Broncos forced a stop on 3rd down, John Fox THEN decided it was the right time to call a timeout with all of 23 seconds remaining in the half.

After a nice punt to the Denver 17, Manning and the offense rolled up to the line and you guessed it....took a knee.

Good clock management?

Nope

Understanding of situational football?

Nope

St. Louis is far from a juggernaut on defense. A blown coverage allowed the Broncos to score deep from about midfield.

The fact that Fox failed to call a timeout on 2nd down and then called one on 3rd down means at best that he is indecisive. He blew a golden opportunity at another scoring drive knowing his team would get the ball to receive the 2nd half.

If you think I'm a John Fox hater, which I've been accused of (and rightfully so--I cannot stand his brand of conservative coaching) then perhaps you'll listen to Peyton Manning who was fuming mad about the misuse of time before the end of the half.

He's mad because he understands football folks....too bad for the rest of us Mr. Magoo is running the team.

Hopefully the Broncos can pull out a victory despite John Fox's feeble efforts.

Call the timeouts IMO, give your offense a chance. Who knows, maybe a two-minute drill would have been the spark they needed

On the flip side, the offense didn't really inspire any confidence in anyone Sunday...
    Don't give up... Don't ever give up

Comment

John Fox acts as if the Broncos are coating to the Super Ball.

The Broncos have been unprepared the last 3 games, yes, even against the hapless Raiders. The coaching staff should make a serious effort and prepare the team to "play football".

John, there are a lot of good coaches in the NFL. When they play the Broncos they prepare their teams accordingly. Don't be embarrassed again by having other coaches show your lack of effort. Get your team ready. Keep your head in the game. If you are tired or burned out, go and enjoyed the game from a press box, next to John Elway, have a hot dog and a soft drink and let the coaching staff run the team.

John, you look confused and surprised walking up and down the sidelines chewing your gum! You got the tools to go to the super ball, used them or let someone else use them!
      Last edited by jrod48; 11-18-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Where is the super ball held, jrod?

Can't wait to see how many people still say Fox is a good coach. Get him out, now.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

Comment

Calling a timeout gives the other team an opportunity to call a better play. There's no guarantee that calling a timeout after 2nd down would have benefited the Broncos.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
            Calling a timeout gives the other team an opportunity to call a better play. There's no guarantee that calling a timeout after 2nd down would have benefited the Broncos.
            It's one of those calls that he's darned if he do and darned if he don't. Rams get a big play and score again, then everyone is saying the opposite.

Look, my "like" of him is starting to wane just as much as the next fan's is. But I can't get on that bandwagon about the timeouts. Now I'll agree about the end of regulation with 2 timeouts remaining in the 2012 Div Playoffs all day. But this wasn't a situation with favorable odds and the timing wasn't absolutely critical.
            #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
              It's one of those calls that he's darned if he do and darned if he don't. Rams get a big play and score again, then everyone is saying the opposite.

Look, my "like" of him is starting to wane just as much as the next fan's is. But I can't get on that bandwagon about the timeouts. Now I'll agree about the end of regulation with 2 timeouts remaining in the 2012 Div Playoffs all day. But this wasn't a situation with favorable odds and the timing wasn't absolutely critical.
              i agree but this is why you absolutely call a timeout after it becomes 2-10 off a screen.

STL is looking if denver will over pursue, try to make a play before the half, press. 2-10 they are running for three reasons, keep the clock going, dever use a TO and ball security on their side of the field.

let's say they pick up a few now it is 3-7 and a definite passing down, or is it? STL is on their 33 and want to take at least a time out away from denver, but this is the clincher-their QB. this is situational football and my instinct says he will not be as prepared as your typical starter and press. there is a reason he is 3rd on the chart.

denver could very well be getting the ball with an TO due to an incomplete pass and plenty of time. remember what happened at the end of the seattle game when denver was forced to make some plays, but really was passing against a soft zone D and the D never got to change it's look therefore PFM had it in the palm of his hand.

you have von miller and chris harris on 2-10, three timeouts and PFM as your QB you lean on to get back on track.

you call the time.

Comment

Seems like Fox is getting lazy, they don't look like they are aggressively game planning, adjusting, etc. on offense or defense, the coaching staff seems to have a lackadaisical attitude these days?

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                  i agree but this is why you absolutely call a timeout after it becomes 2-10 off a screen.

STL is looking if denver will over pursue, try to make a play before the half, press. 2-10 they are running for three reasons, keep the clock going, dever use a TO and ball security on their side of the field.

let's say they pick up a few now it is 3-7 and a definite passing down, or is it? STL is on their 33 and want to take at least a time out away from denver, but this is the clincher-their QB. this is situational football and my instinct says he will not be as prepared as your typical starter and press. there is a reason he is 3rd on the chart.

denver could very well be getting the ball with an TO due to an incomplete pass and plenty of time. remember what happened at the end of the seattle game when denver was forced to make some plays, but really was passing against a soft zone D and the D never got to change it's look therefore PFM had it in the palm of his hand.

you have von miller and chris harris on 2-10, three timeouts and PFM as your QB you lean on to get back on track.

you call the time.
                  I get all that. But like I said, the odds were not even 50/50 in our favor so it becomes a roll of the dice. Do u put faith in a struggling offense and a defense that has been getting gashed? Or do you hold out until halftime when u can properly install the adjustments? Either way it probably would've ended the same for us. It just wasn't our day Sunday.
                  #swapping

Comment

Fox's explanation for this was that he "didn't want to get to cute and make a mistake that would put us further in the hole"
                    sigpic

Comment

I really don't have a big issue with Fox NOT calling a timeout after that 1st or 2nd down play. As others have said, damned if you do damned if you don't. Although we did have some momentum and Peyton Manning. Chances are that we would have at least gotten into field goal range, although that doesn't mean much with McManus kicking them.

What I really have a problem with is him calling time out with 20 some odd seconds left on the clock after the 3rd down play. What in the world was that all about? You have arguably the worst special teams in the league that has shown time and time again an inability to do anything with a punt and you decide to force the punt with 20 seconds left? The best case scenario is exactly what happened, the ball is fielded cleanly and Manning takes a knee. It's not like we had Devin Hester back there returning punts. To me that call speaks volumes about Fox's heat-of-the-moment coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post

I know Fox has his problems, but this is definitely a situation where he looks bad either way.

Remember the 49ers game, on 3rd and 17 with 2 minutes left Fox calls a timeout, the 49ers convert and then score a TD with 17 seconds left on the clock, everybody complained then about Fox calling the timeout and giving the 49ers more time. This time when he doesn't call a timeout, everybody still complains.

It can't be both ways, either gamble and use your timeouts hoping to make a stop, or play conservative and let the clock run out.

Personally, I would've liked to see the timeout used when it was 3rd and 4, at that point it was clear that Fisher was content on letting the clock run out, with a stop we get the ball back with about 1:00 and one timeout, certainly enough time to get into field goal range.

By using the timeout though you run the risk of them converting, then maybe changing their strategy to try to score because they were gifted a free timeout (49ers game).

Comment

Exactly, I forgot about that one! Can't have it both ways.
                          #swapping

Comment

The only way I see Elway replacing Fox is if we become an average, 8-8 team after Manning retires. There will be a transition period after Manning anyway. Until then, I think Elway will preach stability for a team that has won the division three consecutive years (possibly four).
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jermz79 View Post
                              Fox's explanation for this was that he "didn't want to get to cute and make a mistake that would put us further in the hole"
                              The Titans took a shot against the Steelers on MNF before the half and went into the locker room with the lead. They had a rookie playing QB as well, and still didn't opt to take a knee/run the clock out.

Comment

Working...
                              X