John Fox strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agreed with Fox.

At the time we were struggling badly and down 13-0..... then we hit Sanders for 7 to get back in the game. All I wanted at that point was to make a stop and go into HT with just a 6 point deficit and the momentum and hopefully to come out in the 2nd half and play much better.

I was confident we would turn a 6 point deficit around, I think Sanders going out so early in the 2nd half killed us.

Comment

If we weren't going to call timeout after first and second down in order to try to get the ball back and do something on offense, why did we take that timeout after 3rd down? If we were so worried about being conservative, why take the chance of a muffed punt or something? Our special teams are a liability. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

I've been critical of Fox's clock management, like when we played KC earlier this season, and he did not stop the clock when we may have needed some time to make a final drive. Fortunately our D held, and we did not need the time.

But in this case, I do not blame him for not stopping the clock, given the situation. If we stop the clock on 2nd down, and they end up moving the ball, we might give them another 3 or even 7 points. When you are down by 6 late in the half, and they have the ball, I don't think you want to get aggressive that way. Try to stop them, and don't give them more time.

Bottom line, he was fine by me on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
          I agreed with Fox.

At the time we were struggling badly and down 13-0..... then we hit Sanders for 7 to get back in the game. All I wanted at that point was to make a stop and go into HT with just a 6 point deficit and the momentum and hopefully to come out in the 2nd half and play much better.

I was confident we would turn a 6 point deficit around, I think Sanders going out so early in the 2nd half killed us.
          Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          I've been critical of Fox's clock management, like when we played KC earlier this season, and he did not stop the clock when we may have needed some time to make a final drive. Fortunately our D held, and we did not need the time.

But in this case, I do not blame him for not stopping the clock, given the situation. If we stop the clock on 2nd down, and they end up moving the ball, we might give them another 3 or even 7 points. When you are down by 6 late in the half, and they have the ball, I don't think you want to get aggressive that way. Try to stop them, and don't give them more time.

Bottom line, he was fine by me on that one.
          Although i don't agree with not calling a timeout, I get where y'all are coming from. IMO, you have to take that shot. It's obvious we don't trust McManus, and if you're going to take away another avenue to at least try and score points, then you have to have that dog mentality to get 7.

With no run game and no kicking game, it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the conservative approach. The drive in the Seattle game is fresh on my mind. We struggled offensively that game as well, but with a minute left, with 2 or 3 timeouts left, we managed to march down the field and put 8 on the board to go into OT.

I thought history could have repeated itself, but.........oh well.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Conner13 View Post
            If we weren't going to call timeout after first and second down in order to try to get the ball back and do something on offense, why did we take that timeout after 3rd down? If we were so worried about being conservative, why take the chance of a muffed punt or something? Our special teams are a liability. Doesn't make sense.
            They did rush the punter, the idea was to try to block the punt, and if I remember correctly they almost did block it.

If the punt gets blocked using the timeout looks genius, because the Broncos are setup with an easy field goal just before half. Its another situation where its looks dumb if it doesn't work and looks smart if it does work.

Comment

Terrible decision. Momentum was on our side, we had just scored and forced a quick stop. Fire him please.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                They did rush the punter, the idea was to try to block the punt, and if I remember correctly they almost did block it.

If the punt gets blocked using the timeout looks genius, because the Broncos are setup with an easy field goal just before half. Its another situation where its looks dumb if it doesn't work and looks smart if it does work.
                But why didn't they use it before that? would have stopped the clock if they forced incompletions on 3rd down.
                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                  But why didn't they use it before that? would have stopped the clock if they forced incompletions on 3rd down.
                  Let's break that drive down:

1-10 on STL 18 (2:16) A 12 yard pass moves the Rams to the STL 30. With plenty of time and passing the ball it looks like the Rams are going to try to get into field goal range.

1-10 on STL 30 (2:00) No gain on a screen pass. Rams still look like they're going to be aggressive

2-10 on STL 30 (1:18) This is the first chance to use a timeout, but with it being 2nd down it would definitely be a risk. St. Louis maybe playing a game of cat and mouse let the clock run down, maybe hoping the Broncos would gift them with an extra timeout and give them a reason to be aggressive again. Without a timeout called the Rams run for 6 yards, who knows if their strategy changes if Denver uses a timeout here.

3-4 on STL 36 (0:31) If a timeout is going to be called, this is the best place to use it, it would've left about 1 minute on the clock and 1 timeout for the offense. But a very make-able 3rd and 4 (especially with the way the defense was giving up 3rd down conversions) was certainly a risk. Rams covert and they're past the STL 40, only 20 more yards and they're in range of their iron legged kicked.

4-3 on STL 37 (0:23) The timeout is used here with the hope of blocking the punt.

Like I said in an earlier post, the time to use the timeout would've been before the third down play but its pretty risky, and obviously in the coach's mind it wasn't worth the risk
                  Last edited by Broncos-R-Great; 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conner13 View Post
                    agree! no kidding! he didnt want to get cute. getting cute is what he did and called a timeout on 4th down so we could field the punt and could have muffed it

Comment

Let's break that drive down:

1-10 on STL 18 (2:16) A 12 yard pass moves the Rams to the STL 30. With plenty of time and passing the ball it looks like the Rams are going to try to get into field goal range.

1-10 on STL 30 (2:00) No gain on a screen pass. Rams still look like they're going to be aggressive

2-10 on STL 30 (1:18) This is the first chance to use a timeout, but with it being 2nd down it would definitely be a risk. St. Louis maybe playing a game of cat and mouse let the clock run down, maybe hoping the Broncos would gift them with an extra timeout and give them a reason to be aggressive again. Without a timeout called the Rams run for 6 yards, who knows if their strategy changes if Denver uses a timeout here.

3-4 on STL 36 (0:31) If a timeout is going to be called, this is the best place to use it, it would've left about 1 minute on the clock and 1 timeout for the offense. But a very make-able 3rd and 4 (especially with the way the defense was giving up 3rd down conversions) was certainly a risk. Rams covert and they're past the STL 40, only 20 more yards and they're in range of their iron legged kicked.

4-3 on STL 37 (0:23) The timeout is used here with the hope of blocking the punt.

Like I said in an earlier post, the time to use the timeout would've been before the third down play but its pretty risky, and obviously in the coach's mind it wasn't worth the risk
                      They still had 2 timeouts, or am I mistaken?

Your last sentence highlights, the reason a lot of people don't like Fox. He's too conservative.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                        They still had 2 timeouts, or am I mistaken?

Your last sentence highlights, the reason a lot of people don't like Fox. He's too conservative.
                        Broncos had all 3 timeouts at the start of the drive.

There's basically 4 options I listed here based on the amount of risk in each:

1. Use a timeout at 2nd and 10, pretty risky because its only second down, a first down and they've given the Rams an extra timeout and they're only 20 yards from field goal range. A stop and the other 2 timeouts and the offense gets the ball back around the 20 with about 1:40 and no timeouts.

2. Use a timeout at 3rd and 4, a little less risky, but its only 4 yards to go, once again the Rams get a free timeout if they convert. If they're stopped, the offense gets the ball back with about a minute and 1 timeout. I would've called the timeout here if I was the coach, and told the defense make a stop at all costs.

3. Use the timeout on 4th and attempt a punt block, this was what Fox did.

4. Don't use any timeouts and let the clock run out, the ultra conservative approach.

Comment

Broncos had all 3 timeouts at the start of the drive.

There's basically 4 options I listed here based on the amount of risk in each:

1. Use a timeout at 2nd and 10, pretty risky because its only second down, a first down and they've given the Rams an extra timeout and they're only 20 yards from field goal range. A stop and the other 2 timeouts and the offense gets the ball back around the 20 with about 1:40 and no timeouts.

2. Use a timeout at 3rd and 4, a little less risky, but its only 4 yards to go, once again the Rams get a free timeout if they convert. If they're stopped, the offense gets the ball back with about a minute and 1 timeout. I would've called the timeout here if I was the coach, and told the defense make a stop at all costs.

3. Use the timeout on 4th and attempt a punt block, this was what Fox did.

4. Don't use any timeouts and let the clock run out, the ultra conservative approach.
                          The last 2 are ultraconservative. use one or two at least after the 2 minute warning, keep the last one if you really need it but Fox screwed over any chances of scoring again by wasting all that time before calling it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Fox does suck. I still haven't gotten past that playoff game against Baltimore. There are 5 ways he lost that game.

But yeah.. That whole ram game was just Murphy's law. If it could go wrong.. It did.

Comment

Working...
                            X