X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' Demaryius Thomas: I'm better than Calvin Johnson

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...185#f35d167e28

Didn't see anyone discussing this yet.

"Of course, I'm going to go with myself," Thomas said. "But I can say this -- coming up my first year at Tech, the only person I really looked up to was Calvin because I didn't really play football in high school. I think we do two different things, but I have to say that I'm better than Calvin right now.

"Other people will say different, but I'm the best Georgia Tech wide receiver."
    I've seen a lot of idiotic people saying he's not even in the same league as Johnson and he's only got the stats he does because he has Manning throwing to him.

One point I would like to make is only about half of what he's done is on Manning.
    2014 Yards 1,255 YAC 564
    2013 Yards 1,430 YAC 704
    2012 Yards 1,434 YAC 538

Thomas is yearly up towards the top of the list for YAC, of his 4,119 over the last the last 3 seasons 1,806 of that came after the catch. Meaning Manning got him part of the way but his feet and talent got him the rest. I think it's safe to say that he is better than Calvin this year, overall no, not yet but he will be someday. I was amazed at how many people were selling this kid short. He is easily top 3 in the league right now.
    sigpic

I completely agree. He may not have the ball skills that Calvin Johnson has but in terms of being the most explosive WR it's DT. He's the best WR who can score on any short pass, outrun any defender deep, can compete for jump passes and has become much more reliable and consistent with his catches.

Health is also a part of talent. CJ has played 1 full season in the last 4-5 years. Even though DT started out rough as rookie he has put 3 1/2 years up.
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

GT could have used those guys last night.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I disagree but at least it wasn't said in a negative, arrogant way such as the cutler, my arm is stronger than Elways.

He merely said he was picking himself and brings back college too. Hopefully he signs long term, with his hometown discount and is totally right :thumb:
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...185#f35d167e28

Didn't see anyone discussing this yet.

I've seen a lot of idiotic people saying he's not even in the same league as Johnson and he's only got the stats he does because he has Manning throwing to him.

One point I would like to make is only about half of what he's done is on Manning.
          2014 Yards 1,255 YAC 564
          2013 Yards 1,430 YAC 704
          2012 Yards 1,434 YAC 538

Thomas is yearly up towards the top of the list for YAC, of his 4,119 over the last the last 3 seasons 1,806 of that came after the catch. Meaning Manning got him part of the way but his feet and talent got him the rest. I think it's safe to say that he is better than Calvin this year, overall no, not yet but he will be someday. I was amazed at how many people were selling this kid short. He is easily top 3 in the league right now.
          I could make that arguement about Calvin for Safford. PM spreads it around so DT gets his share of plays when he can get open and when his number is called on a specific play. However, for years when watching Lions highlights I have seen Stafford to Johnson constantly to the point where sometimes I'd think to myself "Is he the only reciever on the field". Obviously this year that has changed and so has Calvins numbers. Imo its a lot easier to put up monster numbers when you are the only weapon being thrown to a good majority of the time. Not trying to take anything away from CJ he is definitely one of the best, I'd love to have him.
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
            I could make that arguement about Calvin for Safford. PM spreads it around so DT gets his share of plays when he can get open and when his number is called on a specific play. However, for years when watching Lions highlights I have seen Stafford to Johnson constantly to the point where sometimes I'd think to myself "Is he the only reciever on the field". Obviously this year that has changed and so has Calvins numbers. Imo its a lot easier to put up monster numbers when you are the only weapon being thrown to a good majority of the time. Not trying to take anything away from CJ he is definitely one of the best, I'd love to have him.
            Sure. It's similar to the Cutler/Marshall connection that produced some records IIRC.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I'd like to see more consistency out of DT before hearing such claims. Yes he's athletic, yeah he's a freak on the field at any given time. However there are times when DT just absolutely disappears or just doesn't fight for the ball. Calvin is a constant presence every game he is in.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                I'd like to see more consistency out of DT before hearing such claims. Yes he's athletic, yeah he's a freak on the field at any given time. However there are times when DT just absolutely disappears or just doesn't fight for the ball. Calvin is a constant presence every game he is in.
                It was an inflammatory article on the part of NFL.com It wasn't a Richard Shermanesque "I'm the best player in the game" Knowing his personality and the way this was worded he was probably half joking and said "of course I'm going to pick myself" Regardless he's a top 5 WR in the league if not top 3
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  It was an inflammatory article on the part of NFL.com It wasn't a Richard Shermanesque "I'm the best player in the game" Knowing his personality and the way this was worded he was probably half joking and said "of course I'm going to pick myself" Regardless he's a top 5 WR in the league if not top 3
                  DT and CJ would be an interesting tandem to watch in the ProBowl

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                    DT and CJ would be an interesting tandem to watch in the ProBowl
                    Two of the best in the league, it would be incredible to see them on the same team.
                    sigpic

Comment

I love DT. He does not high point the ball and attack it as good as megatron, DT also doesn't not run as hard as he should, especially for a guy with his size, strength and speed. Calvin runs harder.

I think Calvin is better
                      So far:
                      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

It's part of a player's job to promote themselves. Especially in a contract season

DT might have better stats "right now" but he still needs to get more physical imho

Use that god given body more plz
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I have no problem with this, he was siding with himself, the fact they know each other from Ga. Tech likely makes it that he was just taking a shot at a friend. What's funny is the media still thinks that Johnson, Bryant, Jones, Green, Harvin and White are all better than Demaryius Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            GT could have used those guys last night.
                            They could have used smelter. Wouldn't picking him up in the draft

Comment

Working...
                            X