• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade Phillips on his way to interview for DC position - 1/27

Per Adam Shefter, per Ed Werder.

Adam Schefter Verified account
    ‏@AdamSchefter
    Wade Phillips is visiting Denver today to interview for the Broncos defensive coordinator job, per @Edwerderespn.

Ed Werder Verified account
    ‏@Edwerderespn
    Wade Phillips is in Denver to interview for #Broncos defensive coordinator. John Elway and Gary Kubiak played for him when he was DEN HC

Better than Mike Smith I guess >.>

This may mean we've given up on prying away Vance Joseph from the Bungles.
    Last edited by theMileHighGuy; 01-27-2015, 07:21 AM.

The Broncos are interviewing Wade Phillips for their defensive coordinator vacancy.
    The 67-year-old Phillips is the best candidate remaining on the market. His most recent defensive coordinator work came in Houston under new Broncos coach Gary Kubiak, where he inherited the league's No. 30 unit in 2011 and turned them into an annual top-7 unit. Phillips also has ties to Denver, as he was John Elway's head coach from 1993-94. He should jump at the chance to work with a talented group headlined by Von Miller, Chris Harris, Aqib Talib and DeMarcus Ware.

Related: Broncos
    Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
    sigpic

Comment

Wade Phillips may be placeholder DC for Vance Joseph

Douglas LeeJan 27, 2015 9:17 AM

If the Broncos can't pry Vance Joseph away from Cincinnati, they may just have to wait out the last year of his contract. According to multiple reports, Wade Phillips is interviewing for Denver's DC vacancy on Tuesday. Alex Marvez suggests Denver may hire Phillips for the 2015 season, with the intent of making Joseph their DC in 2016, and shifting the Son of Bum to an advisory role that year.

Joseph coached defensive backs for the Texans from 2011 to 2013, when Gary Kubiak was head coach and Phillips was DC.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...r-vance-joseph

Comment

I was wondering whether or not Vance would run a 4-3 or 3-4. If we are willing to roll with Wade for a single year, then I guess that answers that question.
        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

I like the approach if true.

We can't make CIN give us Vance, so we hiring Plan B (Wade)for 1 season to transition the D to a 3-4 in an organized manner (as he has proven to do).

Then next year move Wade to Defensive Consultant and hire Vance as DC. Wade can mentor Vance for the first year to get him accustomed to the role of a DC.

This way, we are not forcing a first time DC to transition a title contending team from 4-3 to 3-4 in his first year, we get our guy (Vance) next year and our guy next year gets a great mentor to help him fall into his new role.

As long as Elway is clear and up front with Wade during the interview, and not pretending he wants him long term in the role.

win-win-win - That's ELWAY style!

GB2

Comment

We need a DC I agree and maybe there is no one better but doesn't Wade have a history of coaching players to the same level of mentality that Fox did?

IMO we should get someone like Schwartz and his attitude for defense.

Not sure if Elway would hire someone for a year but maybe who knows

Like I said maybe there is nothing else better out there at the moment.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              We need a DC I agree and maybe there is no one better but doesn't Wade have a history of coaching players to the same level of mentality that Fox did?

I'm shocked that we're not looking at Schwartz for the DC job....smh
              I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

I will contend that the D was not the issue last season. In fact our D played extremely well given the failing O. Yes, would we like rah rah, ya I would. However, that comes from personnel more so than coaches IMO.
                What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 34m34 minutes ago
                  Wade Phillips is meeting with #Broncos but understands #Bengals Vance Joseph the first choice if Cincy relents
                  Here is a more recent update.

Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
                  I'm shocked that we're not looking at Schwartz for the DC job....smh
                  Im not. His defense was stacked in Buffalo. Look how much Detroit's defense improved after Schwartz left. Pretty much the same roster, but the defense was remarkably better with Austin running the show.

Comment

My concern with Phillips are two things:
                    1. He's unemployed for a reason and
                    2. His defenses are notorious for stinking it up against elite QB's. If our goal is the Super Bowl and to not only get there but win it, how do we do this with a defense that will choke against the elite QB's in the league. Whom of which we would be playing if we get there? I understand he's probably the best from what's left but someone give me a reason to be more optimistic

Comment

Originally posted by sgriffeth78 View Post
                      My concern with Phillips are two things:
                      1. He's unemployed for a reason and
                      2. His defenses are notorious for stinking it up against elite QB's. If our goal is the Super Bowl and to not only get there but win it, how do we do this with a defense that will choke against the elite QB's in the league. Whom of which we would be playing if we get there? I understand he's probably the best from what's left but someone give me a reason to be more optimistic
                      Elite QBs are that for a reason. Winning against them is difficult. I personally feel like Phillips hasn't had this kind of personnel before from top to bottom, and one thing Wade's defenses always do is cater to the strengths of the players within them. One thing to be optimistic about will be a lot less of our premier pass rushers dropping into coverage.

If Wade is the hire, I'm cautiously optimistic. If anything, he is a great defensive mind and teacher of the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X