Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos going to a 3-4 ...?

Raj Sharan ‏@Raj_Sharan 11m11 minutes ago

[email protected] just told @CecilLammey he thinks the #Broncos are going to a 3-4 next year. With Von and Ware, I like that.

That's a pretty easy assumption considering the defensive coaches that are being brought in (Phillips, Herring)

Comment

I too, like the thought of it. Just not too fond of Phillips

Comment

I love Wade as a DC just not as a head coach.

Comment

Well then maybe you can help me be more optimistic of him. He has had some solid defenses but has a knack for not doing too well against elite QB's. If our goal is to win the Super Bowl, how do we do that with a defense that will underperform vs one?

Comment

The problem here is Terrance Knighton, is he going to want to play nose tackle? If not then he is as good as gone, although it does look very intriguing. Miller, Ware outside with the Trevor Pryce clone (Malik Jackson) and Williams on the ends with Knighton at the nose!

How awesome would it be to sign Suh and place him at end over Williams!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
              The problem here is Terrance Knighton, is he going to want to play nose tackle? If not then he is as good as gone, although it does look very intriguing. Miller, Ware outside with the Trevor Pryce clone (Malik Jackson) and Williams on the ends with Knighton at the nose!

I'd be pretty excited about that. Although, I don't think we'll be in the Suh sweepstakes.

With Von and Ware outside, Marshall and Trevathan inside. It eliminates our need for a starting LB. Not to mention Ware/Von will be at their natural positions.

Comment

The thing with Wade Phillips' 3-4 defenses is that they're 3-4s in basically name only. They're as much of a hybrid as anything we've seen recently. His most successful defenses haven't really had that archetypal nose tackle that you expect to see. His schemes have always shifted a bit to fit the strength of the players he has. Jay Ratliff and Sean Cody weren't huge guys, but they played their gap and got the job done. Even when he was successful here back in 89-91, Greg Kragen was well short of that prototypical 300+ pounder, and he was still a probowler in that defense. Terrance is well capable of playing the role, and I'd like to think he is a priority for this front office.

I can see Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe thriving as 3-4 DEs in this scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post

don't you think it would be Wolfe starting over Sly? Sly already lost his starting spot at the end of this past season.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sgriffeth78 View Post
                    Well then maybe you can help me be more optimistic of him. He has had some solid defenses but has a knack for not doing too well against elite QB's. If our goal is to win the Super Bowl, how do we do that with a defense that will underperform vs one?
                    That's why they're elite qbs. But Phillips has never had a secondary as good as ours particularly at cb

Comment

So it's a 3-4 for first downs, then as they switch to nickel and dime defences it goes to 4-2-5 and 4-1-6 defences. There will be very little change to the defense that Denver has been playing the last 3 years, the playcalling might be more or less aggressive and the coverage schemes could change but the actual way the defense lines up won't change that much. People thinking that the 3-4 will be some complete overhaul in scheme are going to be disappointed.

Comment

Teams can run on the 3-4. I hate seeing a guard knocking LB's out of the hole. We are built for the 4-3. We have no depth at LB. How are we gonna pull this off?

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          So it's a 3-4 for first downs, then as they switch to nickel and dime defences it goes to 4-2-5 and 4-1-6 defences. There will be very little change to the defense that Denver has been playing the last 3 years, the playcalling might be more or less aggressive and the coverage schemes could change but the actual way the defense lines up won't change that much. People thinking that the 3-4 will be some complete overhaul in scheme are going to be disappointed.
                          Not necessarily.

This could mean less TE/T double teams on Von as he wouldn't necessarily be stuck playing the strong side like he has in the Sam linebacker role. Von will still likely receive doubles, but potentially from RBs more often than TEs.

This would also put Wolfe and Jackson on the field together more often and with higher snap counts than they had last season individually. Provided we resign Unrein we could have a nice rotation of 5 techs to take pressure off of Von and Ware.

Wade likes to blitz his inside linebackers more than JDR and Fox so if we are effective on that area we effectively add another wrinkle to our defense. A Gap pressure is killer in both phases and it's something we've lacked for a long time.

Wade liked to play man whereas Fox and JDR would have a more mixed look. I don't think this will change as with mobile QBs you can't really afford to play straight up man or they will gash you... But perhaps it does and we adapt and put a guy like Ward as a Troy Polumalu spy type role.

JDR and Fox seemed real content with rushing four and dropping seven whereas Wade comes from a background of higher blitzing percentage and also of stunts and twists. Knighton could benefit from that especially as he does a good job of turning his speed into power on twists.

Things should be less vanilla, I can only hope anyways.
                          Denver Broncos GM
                          Originally posted by Mosk
                          Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by DieHard View Post
                            Teams can run on the 3-4. I hate seeing a guard knocking LB's out of the hole. We are built for the 4-3. We have no depth at LB. How are we gonna pull this off?
                            Von, ware, and McCray at OLB
                            Trevathan, marshall, Barrett, barrow at ILB
                            Wolfe, Jackson, Unrein, Austin, Sly at DE
                            Knighton(if he re-signs) at NT

That's a very good start. Add a FA or two plus a draft pick or two....looks pretty solid to me. Biggest need would be a NT.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              Von, ware, and McCray at OLB
                              Trevathan, marshall, Barrett, barrow at ILB
                              Wolfe, Jackson, Unrein, Austin, Sly at DE
                              Knighton(if he re-signs) at NT

That's a very good start. Add a FA or two plus a draft pick or two....looks pretty solid to me. Biggest need would be a NT.
                              Barrett would be better suited at OLB in a 3-4

Comment

Working...
                              X