X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archie: Peyton struggling with decision

Peyton Manning really struggling with decision, says father Archie
    By Kyle Montgomery  @MileHighReport on Jan 29 2015, 3:08p

Will he stay or will he go now? Peyton's father Archie Manning doesn't know, but expects an answer "maybe in the next week or two."

First, the positives. Peyton Manning's leg is getting rest and getting better, Peyton's father and Pro Football Hall of Famer Archie Manning told Woody Paige and Les Shapiro on The Denver Post's Sports Show. He and Peyton like Gary Kubiak, and it doesn't sound like Peyton has any concern about returning under a new regime.

"I don't think that's a big consideration," said the elder Manning.

Now, the negatives - or more accurately, the unknowns. That all doesn't necessarily mean Peyton is coming back. According to Pops, he's still mulling his decision. One outlet even put it this way -

Derek Togerson @DerekNBCSD

Just talked to Archie Manning. Told us Peyton has not decided if he'll play or retire yet and is really struggling with the decision. #NBC7
    11:15 AM - 29 Jan 2015

Archie told another outlet, WEEI, that we can expect an answer sooner rather than later.

"I don't think he'll go a long time and take this thing to March, or anything like that," said Archie Manning. "He's got it on his mind, and I think he'll make a decision."

This is certainly the biggest blurb or nugget we've heard since Manning spoke himself about his uncertainty of coming back. Until this, everything we've heard has lent itself to Manning's return.

No matter how many "trustworthy sources" Woody Paige cites, father knows best. Either Peyton and family are keeping his thought process very close to the vest, or Manning really is struggling with his decision to return or retire.

Mile High Report
    Last edited by Rastic; 01-29-2015, 10:31 PM.

I can't believe he would retire. It wouldn't be the same without Manning.
    Bowlen: "no competitive advantage" in salary cap violations.

Comment

wow crazy. now i think he will retire.

went from ill be back if denver wants me to i dont know to ill be back if healthy from physical to struggling with decision.

i just 1 one more try

Comment

Originally posted by The Donkinator View Post
        I can't believe he would retire. It wouldn't be the same without Manning.
        Im kinda excited either way.If he comes back I wanna see how we go with Peyton plus an improved coaching regime in just about all facets of our game(team not just Peyton) and If he doesnt I will be excited watching Brock under a good playcaller in Kubiak who will suit Brocks game exponentially.Either way Im excited.

Comment

I want him to come back to see what happens with a coaching staff that knows what the heck they're doing.
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I think he can still play and with Manning here playoffs are almost a guarantee. On the other hand it would be nice to see what we have in Brock. I think he would do just fine in that west coast offense. He has a strong enough arm where he could do the boot legs and throw the ball across the field. Either way I am excited for next season and have high expectations regardless.

Comment

Just retire, kick your feet up and wait for the Hall of Fame to call.
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

If he's struggling that much, then he needs to hang it up.

Peyton is already becoming a shell of himself, now imagine a Peyton that is only half in. Could get ugly.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  If he's struggling that much, then he needs to hang it up.

Peyton is already becoming a shell of himself, now imagine a Peyton that is only half in. Could get ugly.
                  Kinda have to agree with you here. If he isn't comming back whole heartedly then he'd be better to not come back at all.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's good Elway knows well enough to not have let Manning make his decision right after that last game. Elway didn't even want to hear it - he said 'take 3-4 weeks and think it over' Then get back to us and we'll see how you're feeling about it.
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

It's a big decision to make. I don't think anything odd of taking the time to make the one which is best for him and his family.

Comment

How could he not come back? Doesn't he know we have someone with fire now, an apparent expert at going down kicking and screaming*?

*It should be noted that fire and going down kicking and screaming was a 2-11 mid season firing. Those quick to defend will point out that Kubiak had a QB that played poorly and an injured RB. He also had a health scare. It's hard to find another example of when a coach had so much go wrong in one season. There was this one coach that lost over half his starting D, all pro left tackle and had heart surgery mid season...in comparison he only made it to the Superbowl. The next year that same coach had a HOF QB that was hurt and instead of using that as an excuse he tried to balance his offense and tried to continue winning. However, his desire to continue winning was not seen as having fire or going down kicking and screaming. He was in fact replaced because he was seen as the exact opposite and replaced with a coach that was better at going down kicking and screaming. The afore mentioned Kubiak that went down with a 2-11 record. While this seems like an awful record imagine what it could have been with a coach without fire and kicking and screaming ability.
                        Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
                          How could he not come back? Doesn't he know we have someone with fire now, an apparent expert at going down kicking and screaming*?

*It should be noted that fire and going down kicking and screaming was a 2-11 mid season firing. Those quick to defend will point out that Kubiak had a QB that played poorly and an injured RB. He also had a health scare. It's hard to find another example of when a coach had so much go wrong in one season. There was this one coach that lost over half his starting D, all pro left tackle and had heart surgery mid season...in comparison he only made it to the Superbowl. The next year that same coach had a HOF QB that was hurt and instead of using that as an excuse he tried to balance his offense and tried to continue winning. However, his desire to continue winning was not seen as having fire or going down kicking and screaming. He was in fact replaced because he was seen as the exact opposite and replaced with a coach that was better at going down kicking and screaming. The afore mentioned Kubiak that went down with a 2-11 record. While this seems like an awful record imagine what it could have been with a coach without fire and kicking and screaming ability.
                          If anything I think the coaching staff change would probably be a positive. Manning on at least one occasion hinted that he wouldn't mind a coaching change. I truly think he is trying to evaluate his health and if he can last an entire season.

Comment

I am on board with Manning hanging it up but when you look at the number over the last 3 years....statistically the greatest QB stretch in the history of the NFL it's baffling to think we are talking about it:

40 wins, 15000 yards, 131 TD, 36 Int, 68% completion, roughly a 109 QB rating over all 3 years...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                              If anything I think the coaching staff change would probably be a positive. Manning on at least one occasion hinted that he wouldn't mind a coaching change. I truly think he is trying to evaluate his health and if he can last an entire season.
                              I'm not opposed to the change. I just don't buy the fire/kicking and screaming rhetoric. It's silly talk.

I'm excited to see what Kubiak has but am not misty eyed about it. I would prefer he gets to come in and do his thing but fear he won't be able to unless PM hangs it up. If PM comes back then we get some kind of mutant offense that will be broken. But, who wants to put a nail in the coffin of PM? A guy like PM has to do it himself.

I think Kubiak is perfectly capable of losing ugly and has done so many times. All coaches do. So, it'll be interesting to see all of these posters reaction when that happens. Someone better have the suicide hotline on speed dial.
                              Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Working...
                              X