Archie: Peyton struggling with decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    If he's struggling that much, then he needs to hang it up.

Peyton is already becoming a shell of himself, now imagine a Peyton that is only half in. Could get ugly.
    Could not agree more. Had the same thought as I read the article. It seems to play this game, a player must not have any doubt they want to play. If he is struggling, then that tells me that a part of him doesn't want to play anymore. If you're not all in...it could get ugly as you said.

Comment

If Manning is as concerned about his legacy as he appears to be, he needs to retire. If he comes back and blows chunks, he will get roasted and vilified.

Either that or he needs to tell dad to keep his mouth shut. This only sets up bad for Peyton if things don't go right next season. He will get blamed for all that goes wrong because of this apparent indecision.

Either he wants to play or he doesn't. He shouldn't be struggling with that part of the decision to come back or retire. Any indecision is probably about other things and if that's the case, he should probably retire.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

If I was Peyton, I'd retire. There isn't anything left to prove. Because in all honesty, i dont think Denver will win the super bowl next year. So why comeback? To make stats look even better?

Let Os start and experience a full season and see what he can do and see if another option should be looked at if Os fails.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
          If Manning is as concerned about his legacy as he appears to be, he needs to retire. If he comes back and blows chunks, he will get roasted and vilified.

Either that or he needs to tell dad to keep his mouth shut. This only sets up bad for Peyton if things don't go right next season. He will get blamed for all that goes wrong because of this apparent indecision.

Either he wants to play or he doesn't. He shouldn't be struggling with that part of the decision to come back or retire. Any indecision is probably about other things and if that's the case, he should probably retire.
          I don't understand your post at all. How will him taking time to make a decision have any impact on how he plays next season. I'm confused. You said, "if things don't go right he will get blamed for his apparent indecision." What does one have to do with the other? I don't get it.

Also, any indecision might be about other things...I might buy that. Let's see, I think those things may include:

1. Whether he feels he can still be effective after having an injury.
          2. Whether he can be effective in a new offense?
          3. What will the new offense be and what will his role be?
          4. Does he want to take the time to learn a new offense under new coaches at this stage in his career?
          5. Whether it was Father Time or was it the injury that caused such a dramatic drop off? Therefore, he will need to wait and make sure the injury is completely healed in order to make that assessment.
          6. Does he have the willingness, desire and wherewithal to go through another physical season and will his body hold up throughout it.
          7. The need to sit down with the coaching staff and watch tape to see what went wrong, what could he improve, will he be able to improve and how Kubiak and Dennison will work with him to improve.

So, these are just a few things off the top of my head that I think Manning is evaluating. These are important considerations and take time to review. I'm sure there's more that I haven't even thought about.

But again. I don't know how taking time to make a thorough assessment has any impact on whether things go well for him or not down the road.
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Playing football is like riding a motorcycle...if you start being scared of injuring yourself, it's time to walk away.

I give Peyton a huge amount of credit for even coming back from the neck surgeries in the 1st place...to know that one big hit could put you in a wheelchair and still put that fear aside and excel as he has shows incredible bravery. We are lucky to have had him the past 3 seasons, but if he's starting to doubt himself relating to injury, he needs to hang up the cleats.
            "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
            PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
            LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
              Playing football is like riding a motorcycle...if you start being scared of injuring yourself, it's time to walk away.

I give Peyton a huge amount of credit for even coming back from the neck surgeries in the 1st place...to know that one big hit could put you in a wheelchair and still put that fear aside and excel as he has shows incredible bravery. We are lucky to have had him the past 3 seasons, but if he's starting to doubt himself relating to injury, he needs to hang up the cleats.
              Well, like I posted above there are several issues that he probably is assessing including how much of his decline was Father Time or injury. And if it was injury then he needs to see what he feels like when his injury is healed first before he can make an informed decision.

Comment

I read some of Vic Lombardi's comments after his talk (or referecing an interview) with Manning.
                I really don't think the health issue is it. The neck by all accounts is fine, and obviously the thigh is just a muscle issue.

I think the main reason for Manning's deliberation are his family and his future beyond being an active player.
                He may be considering how continuing to play may affect his wife and kids...mostly kids. Do they want to stay in Denver or move on? Also, we've heard the rumors about Manning's potential involvement with the Tennessee Titans. Maybe that "opportunity" is presenting itself and he's mulling that over. IN his comments to Lombardi, he said he could "run any offense in the Deleware T".....That's pretty lighthearted. I don't think ANY of his deliberation is based on anything that happened with the coaching changes or money, or even health.

I think it's all about the future....and does he want to move on with that NOW or wait another year.

Comment

By the way........He'll be back, gut feeling, but I can't see him going out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    I want him to come back to see what happens with a coaching staff that knows what the heck they're doing.
                    Ditto. It's an experiment worth testing because it could get us over the hump at last.

I think he's simply waiting for the official end of the season after the SB, to give himself approximately a month to get over the playoff loss, and will probably make an announcement in the next two weeks.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

And.....to be fair (I never said Peyton was perfect)......He's being a bit of a drama queen here.
                      I think he "wants to be appreciated" and might have a little bit of the hurt feelings thing going on.
                      Seriously. He wants big John to have a little comfy talk and assure him that "Denver still loves you Peyton" type of thing.
                      I honestly think this is part of it. All of these QBs have big egos, and fragile ones to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtofManning View Post
                        I read some of Vic Lombardi's comments after his talk (or referecing an interview) with Manning.
                        I really don't think the health issue is it. The neck by all accounts is fine, and obviously the thigh is just a muscle issue.

I think the main reason for Manning's deliberation are his family and his future beyond being an active player.
                        He may be considering how continuing to play may affect his wife and kids...mostly kids. Do they want to stay in Denver or move on? Also, we've heard the rumors about Manning's potential involvement with the Tennessee Titans. Maybe that "opportunity" is presenting itself and he's mulling that over. IN his comments to Lombardi, he said he could "run any offense in the Deleware T".....That's pretty lighthearted. I don't think ANY of his deliberation is based on anything that happened with the coaching changes or money, or even health.

I think it's all about the future....and does he want to move on with that NOW or wait another year.
                        That isn't what I took from the press conference, to me it seems like he is more worried of if he gets hurt, is he going to become a burden rather than helping. Chances are at his age he will get dinged up somehow, it's just a matter of how he can perform with it.

Honestly it is a legit concern too. No coach is going to bench Peyton, even if he is limping. He wants to play, but doesn't want to be that qb that stuck around for a year too long and wasted a year for the Broncos, he has to know he can contribute.

Comment

If you're not 100% in, retire.

If the opposite, come back.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                            That isn't what I took from the press conference, to me it seems like he is more worried of if he gets hurt, is he going to become a burden rather than helping. Chances are at his age he will get dinged up somehow, it's just a matter of how he can perform with it.

Honestly it is a legit concern too. No coach is going to bench Peyton, even if he is limping. He wants to play, but doesn't want to be that qb that stuck around for a year too long and wasted a year for the Broncos, he has to know he can contribute.
                            Sorry, I haven't seen it yet, just going off some quotes etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtofManning View Post
                              And.....to be fair (I never said Peyton was perfect)......He's being a bit of a drama queen here.
                              I think he "wants to be appreciated" and might have a little bit of the hurt feelings thing going on.
                              Seriously. He wants big John to have a little comfy talk and assure him that "Denver still loves you Peyton" type of thing.
                              I honestly think this is part of it. All of these QBs have big egos, and fragile ones to boot.
                              Couldn't disagree with you more. Elway has been clear that he wants him back. Many of his team mates have been clear that he wants him back.

Peyton has always been extremely thorough and weighs out everything. He is very calculating and will look at decisions from all angles.

I'm not sure why people feel he needs to rush and make his decision quickly or right now. Elway told him to take several weeks off, not to make any decision right now, get away from it and then after a few weeks, think about his options. There are several issues he needs to consider, and these issues are important considerations and are not to be made lightly.
                              Last edited by broncoslover115; 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...take-some-time

Straight from Manning himself. Besides him not making a decision yet, he stated that he's not allowed to talk football yet with the coaches, per NFL rules, Elway has been busy hiring coaches, Manning is on vacation, Elway is going on vacation and they really haven't had time yet. So, it's more of a product of timing than anything else so far.

Peyton Manning has no concerns about passing his yearly physical on March 9, which will activate a $19 million salary for the 2015 season.

Instead, his decision regarding his future is purely mental. "I haven't made a decision. I'm still trying to take some time to evaluate some things," Manning said Friday morning at the Bart Starr Award banquet.

Manning said playing in new coach Gary Kubiak's offense will not be a detriment, and that he's comfortable playing in any system except for the Wing T. He added that the season-ending loss to the Colts would not be a factor, either.

At this point, Manning seems to be in the exploratory phase, especially with Denver welcoming a new coaching staff. Manning met with Kubiak already and plans to sit down with Broncos exec John Elway when he returns from vacation. He wants to find out how he would fit into the scheme and if it's in his best interest long term. His ouster would obviously force Denver to scrap any existing plans on the offensive side of the ball.

As expected, he said his decision would hinge on his ability to "help the team win."

The short-term intrigue has provided an interesting subplot to one of the most anticipated Super Bowls in a decade. Many figured Manning would be here playing, which might also weigh on any eventual decision. Might he want one more Lombardi Trophy to seal his legacy, especially if Tom Brady wins a fourth?

On Thursday, Manning's father, Archie, said that a decision would come soon, but not before Manning had some time to detach himself from the game and truly ponder his options.

"I don't see this thing lingering. I am not into anything dramatic," Peyton said.

Since he's at the Super Bowl, still in the thick of things, that might mean we have to wait a little longer.
                                Last edited by broncoslover115; 01-30-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X