Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Decker pitches Jets to Demaryius Thomas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...book_atn_shook

Eric Decker's first season in New York wasn't pretty, but that isn't stopping him from trying to improve things.

The Jets wide receiver recently spent a few days in Arizona shooting a commercial for Courtyard by Marriott, and during the downtime between takes, gave his best sales pitch to former teammate Demaryius Thomas, an upcoming unrestricted free agent.

"I've been pushing for the entire year now," Decker said in a telephone interview with The New York Post. "It was just another opportunity to talk to him about it. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

"I think it would be tough for Denver to let him go. So whether they franchise-tag him here in the next month or give him a long-term deal, he's just one of those premier players in this league. If he happens to make it to free agency, I would love to sign him because playing alongside him for four years and especially the last two years made it a lot of fun and made it a lot easier. He's just one of the great players in this league."

When Decker says playing on the same field as Thomas made it a lot easier, he wasn't kidding. Decker had his best season as a pro when lining up with Thomas in 2013, hauling in 87 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns as part of a record-setting Broncos offense. His output made him one of the hottest free agent targets, something the otherwise-frivolous Jets took advantage of when they signed him to a five-year, $36.25 million deal in March.

Decker finished with 962 yards receiving and five touchdowns on 74 receptions, statistics all down from his last two seasons in Denver. While Thomas is likely to stay in the Mile-High City -- either via franchise tag or a new contract, as Decker said -- the Jets wideout decided he'd at least make a pitch to bring a former comrade to the East Coast in hopes of reviving a New York offense that finished in the league's bottom-third in total yards in 2014.

With new GM Mike Maccagnan promising to be "very active in free agency," it couldn't hurt to try
    Stay the hell away from our WR Decker!
    sigpic

Didn't Decker say he was depressed in NY this season?
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

DT would get slaughtered by the NY press. He's already getting a lot from the Denver press

If we lose DT, I dunno..... he's not the perfect receiver. He has strengths but he also has weaknesses. It'd be a big loss but we could probably get tougher at that position with the right acquisition.

Mixed Feelings
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
        DT would get slaughtered by the NY press. He's already getting a lot from the Denver press

If we lose DT, I dunno..... he's not the perfect receiver. He has strengths but he also has weaknesses. It'd be a big loss but we could probably get tougher at that position with the right acquisition.

Mixed Feelings
        Lol! We lose DT, it would take another 5-7 years before we found a WR that could match his production and attitude. Almost the same amount of time it took to find him after Rod Smith retired. Players like him don't appear every draft, or even every 2-3 drafts. And find me a WR that will play the way he played in the SB last year with a SEPARATED SHOULDERS, while still getting abused by the SEA defense, then I'll concede that it's worth the risk to let him go.

I honestly don't understand this DT is soft nonsense. You people need to get over one game, that we had no chance of winning. And if we did have a chance, it sure wasn't lost because he dropped 2 bubble screens.

One of the best in the game, shredding Franchise records, in the prime of his career, one average game, and ya'll want him gone.......... I hope u all get your wish.
        #swapping

Comment

We survived without Brandon Marshall, who in his prime was a better WR than DT. I think we would be fine without DT. Tomorrow we will watch a Super Bowl without a premier WR. Baldwin, Kearse, Edelman, LaFell, Amendola... Both teams have a group of receivers that work well together and their QBs distribute the ball. We don't need a premier WR, especially in today's NFL where the rules help the offense so much. Elway will probably find a way to keep DT, but his departure would not break the offense.

We need to bring a different breed of players, one that is not afraid of going to New England. Coaching matters, but professional players should not depend on inspirational speeches to have a high level of confidence. I can understand John Fox wanting more say in personnel when our front office brings players that are not motivated for a playoff game and don't want to travel to enemy territory.

If we stop signing soft players, we won't need coaching to make them tough.
          Last edited by -Rod-; 01-31-2015, 01:09 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Look, I know DT brings mostly positives. I just want to see more physicality. If you don't see the lack of physicality you're looking through DT colored glasses.

Even with his desire to not run through a tackle(but to run around one or go down voluntarily or go out of bounds) he still brings too many positives for me to think we'll just let him go. Especially when Manning is looking at 1 maybe 2 season left. The years leading up to these(this) final season(s) with Manning have a lot of value to the years to come with Manning

I truly believe DT could be THE BEST in the NFL if he just played a bit more physically. With his body size you'd think he's impose his will more. He imposes his will with athletic prowess -not with straight up physicality. And to make it to the last game of the year, a team needs more players that can be impose their will physically than we have right now.

Like I said and I'm just being fair and honest I think - DT brings a LOT to this offense. And I agree losing him- it wont be easy to replace. However we could get more physical at that position sooner rather than later. We'd still be losing more than we gain -sure.

Mixed Feelings
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
              Lol! We lose DT, it would take another 5-7 years before we found a WR that could match his production and attitude. Almost the same amount of time it took to find him after Rod Smith retired. Players like him don't appear every draft, or even every 2-3 drafts. And find me a WR that will play the way he played in the SB last year with a SEPARATED SHOULDERS, while still getting abused by the SEA defense, then I'll concede that it's worth the risk to let him go.

I honestly don't understand this DT is soft nonsense. You people need to get over one game, that we had no chance of winning. And if we did have a chance, it sure wasn't lost because he dropped 2 bubble screens.

One of the best in the game, shredding Franchise records, in the prime of his career, one average game, and ya'll want him gone.......... I hope u all get your wish.

The bolded completely discredits the entire post.

A.) It would not take Elway 5-7 years to find a starting WR that can play with a similar skillset. The thought is just ludicrous to suggest that. It's not 2001 anymore.

B.) Production would be hard, but considering that Sanders already practically matched DT, and we're not going to get a repeat of the numbers without Manning, but we'd survive.

C.) Attitude.. lol good one. He's a good boy off the field. That's about it in the attitude department. He is the softest playing receiver on the team. Fought for the balls the least and completely disappeared during a few games.

I love DT as much as the next guy. But he's replaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                The bolded completely discredits the entire post.

A.) It would not take Elway 5-7 years to find a starting WR that can play with a similar skillset. The thought is just ludicrous to suggest that. It's not 2001 anymore.

B.) Production would be hard, but considering that Sanders already practically matched DT, and we're not going to get a repeat of the numbers without Manning, but we'd survive.

C.) Attitude.. lol good one. He's a good boy off the field. That's about it in the attitude department. He is the softest playing receiver on the team. Fought for the balls the least and completely disappeared during a few games.

I love DT as much as the next guy. But he's replaceable.
                Sanders didn't match....he exceeded. With 40 fewer targets, Sanders was only 200 yards behind DT in total yards.

We may actually be seeing a changing of the guard in the better type of WR for the modern NFL rules. For quite a while now people have been going for the DT/CJ types... 6-3 with speed, but lately it's the smaller, faster WR who are causing more damage and are harder to defend. Guys like Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, Sanders, Beckham, Cobb may be the better option now.
                Last edited by broncos SB2010; 01-31-2015, 02:14 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  Sanders didn't match....he exceeded. With 40 fewer targets, Sanders was only 200 yards behind DT in total yards.

We may actually be seeing a changing of the guard in the better type of WR for the modern NFL rules. For quite a while now people have been going for the DT/CJ types... 6-3 with speed, but lately it's the smaller, faster WR who are causing more damage and are harder to defend. Guys like Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, Sanders, Beckham, Cobb may be the better option now.
                  And you don't think that Sanders produced because teams were prepping to stop DT as the #1 target? You do realize that 3 of the top 4 WRs this year were 6'2" or taller, right?
                  "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Why would DT or any receiver go to the Jets. They have no real QB that can get the ball to the receivers and the weather conditions suck. Plus ... New York

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                      And you don't think that Sanders produced because teams were prepping to stop DT as the #1 target? You do realize that 3 of the top 4 WRs this year were 6'2" or taller, right?
                      who was #1? oh yea...Antonio brown. you do know that 6 of the top 10 were 5-11 or under, right? You do know that 5 of the top 6 in the postseason were 5-11 and under, right? 3 of the top 5 for 1st downs were 5-11 and under as well.
                      Last edited by broncos SB2010; 02-01-2015, 07:55 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think a lot of people are are more in love with DT's potential rather than his results.

He is an amazingly talented kid; but when most people think of him they think of dropped passes and lackluster effort as much as amazing 1-handed catches in the sky.
                        sigpic

Comment

He's gonna get tagged, so I'm not worried about next year.

DT has no toughness. He's arguably one of the most athletically gifted WRs in the NFL if not one of the most gifted athletes in general. He has no fight. All of that crap he was saying, he might as well have been saying it about himself. He was getting close, like he was going to turn the corner, but it's not happened. If he hasn't became a different player in 5 years, why would anyone think he's magically going to do it in the next 3.

DT is what he is. He's an athletic marvel who can often beat opponents on athletic ability alone. Punch him in the mouth though, and watch him shrivel.

Tag him and trade him two firsts for all I care. WR's are a dime a dozen in the NFL now. His production won't be matched, but for what he wants to be paid you could match that production over 2 WRs and another OL to help block for CJ Anderson, who doesn't shrivel when punched in the mouth.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Funny how 1 bad game and everyone flips. This time last year every single one of you were singing his praises. Especially after he was the ONLY player to show up at the SB and played through a separated shoulder, that happened early in the 1st quarter mind u. But soft, lazy, not that good, etc......is how we think of him now.

And it's hilarious because it's not like any other WR was able to do anything in that game either, especially Sanders. But that's okay, right?
                            #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                              Funny how 1 bad game and everyone flips. This time last year every single one of you were singing his praises. Especially after he was the ONLY player to show up at the SB and played through a separated shoulder, that happened early in the 1st quarter mind u. But soft, lazy, not that good, etc......is how we think of him now.

And it's hilarious because it's not like any other WR was able to do anything in that game either, especially Sanders. But that's okay, right?
                              I agree with this. Talk about not having heart? That's kind of a joke.
                              sigpic
                              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Working...
                              X