X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Offseason Plans - Denver Post/Mike Klis

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...restock-roster

A look at the Broncos' three offseason keys:

Their own free agents: Demaryius Thomas is by far the top in-house priority. The Broncos can resume contract-extension negotiations that broke off last July by slapping an estimated $12.7 million franchise tag on their top wide receiver anywhere from Feb. 16 to March 2.

This would pretty much allow the Broncos to maintain Thomas' rights through the 2015 season, although the expectation is he would hold out from organized team activities and minicamp until a new deal is reached. The Broncos also are expected to try to re-sign center Will Montgomery and backup tight end Virgil Green, who will command raises without taking up much veteran budget room.

Next up among the Broncos' free agents are tight end Julius Thomas, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, safety Rahim Moore and offensive lineman Orlando Franklin.

The Broncos would like them to return, but not at the top-of-the-market prices they will command.

It's unlikely that slot receiver Wes Welker returns.

The status of linebacker Nate Irving, tight end Jacob Tamme and defensive lineman Mitch Unrein is unclear.

Free agency: The Broncos' No. 1 offseason priority is to find a right tackle on the offensive line so Louis Vasquez can move back to his all-pro position at right guard. The Broncos haven't given up on Michael Schofield, a third-round draft pick last year. But he didn't dress for one game as a rookie, so he probably will need another developmental year before he emerges as a starter.

The switch to a 3-4 defense will cause the Broncos to add depth to their inside linebacker position — especially with Danny Trevathan and free-agent Nate Irving coming off season-ending knee injuries — and a true nose tackle if Knighton gets a lucrative deal elsewhere.

If the Broncos are unable to re-sign Julius Thomas, Moore and Franklin, they will need to acquire a receiving tight end, a safety and one more offensive lineman.

The draft: The Broncos have to get better here, especially in the second and third rounds. Aside from cornerback Bradley Roby and defensive tackle Sylvester Williams, their past two drafts were disappointing.

In fairness, the Elway regime proved it could draft well in 2011, when the Broncos had the No. 2 pick and wound up with the likes of Von Miller, Moore, Franklin, Irving, Julius Thomas, Quinton Carter and Green.

It's no coincidence the Broncos' draft slump began when they didn't pick until No. 36 (Derek Wolfe) in 2012, No. 28 (Williams) in 2013 and No. 31 (Roby) in 2014. The Broncos again won't select until No. 28 this year, but they are also expecting multiple compensation picks starting in the middle rounds.
    The article also mentions some possible free agent targets as well as plenty of QB speculation. Definitely worth the read.

Mods, if you feel this is better suited for Draft, Trades, and Free Agency or News Wire please feel free to relocate it!

Aside from sly ? He's been OK for a guy drafted in rounds 3-5 but not round one

Thanx for the article although no real insider news..... The broncos want their FA's back if affordable.... That's pretty obvious

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
      Aside from sly ? He's been OK for a guy drafted in rounds 3-5 but not round one

Thanx for the article although no real insider news..... The broncos want their FA's back if affordable.... That's pretty obvious
      I thought Williams showed real promise at the end of his rookie year. Disappointing he didn't improve upon that in year two. Still too early to throw in the towel on him, but I am curious to see how he fits into our new defense.

Yeah some interesting speculation for sure. The only real news in it is that they are expected to re-sign Montgomery and Green. Hardly surprising considering Montgomery played in a very similar offense with the Shanahan's and both should be relatively affordable.

Comment

Happy to hear about Green.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
          http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...restock-roster

The article also mentions some possible free agent targets as well as plenty of QB speculation. Definitely worth the read.

Mods, if you feel this is better suited for Draft, Trades, and Free Agency or News Wire please feel free to relocate it!
          Von Miller's draft class was an excellent draft for the Broncos. I did not realize Denver got all those starters from one class.

I like the front office's approach to our Free Agents. I don't think Moore, Franklin, or JT are worth top dollar in the league. They're not worth peanuts either just somewhere in between.

I like most of the Free Agents Klis lists and some more than others.
          If Denver should get one free agent that is mentioned I hope it's either Bulaga or Newton. We need oline help.

Comment

2012 was an excellent draft, WTH?

Trevathan - starter
            Malik Jackson - Stud and should be starter
            Wolfe - good starter
            Bolden - ST ace and looks to be ready to step up
            Hillman - contributes
            Brock - Back up QB right? Who know how much more he will be.

That is a damn good draft
            Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

The Broncos again won't select until No. 28 this year, but they are also expecting multiple compensation picks starting in the middle rounds.
              I wonder if the Broncos package up some of those lower picks to go for Quality over Quantity this season.
              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                I wonder if the Broncos package up some of those lower picks to go for Quality over Quantity this season.
                you can't trade 5th-7th round picks for much. maybe one pick might be a 3rd or 4th. They might trade one or two and move up in a round but that would be about it, imo
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post

Trevathan - starter
                  Wolfe - good starter
                  Hillman - contributes

People don't look at it that way, sadly a lot of people look at it like if you didn't get an all pro player in every round then it's a failure, meanwhile a team would look at getting a guy in round 4 and him being a solid contributor for the team for 5+ years as a complete home run.

Fans also like to look at it like "yeah you may have drafted this guy who is solid but you missed out on this player who went somewhere else and is a star" completely overlooking draft strategy, coaching scheme, coaching style,etc. which may have meant that star that every team but one passed on may not have been that in a different place.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post

Trevathan - starter
                    Wolfe - good starter
                    Hillman - contributes

And don't forget about guys like Aaron Brewer and Steven Johnson. We got them as UDFA's from that class and they turned out to be good contributors (Brewer as our LS and Johnson as a good ST/back up ILB).
                    RESTORE THE ORANGE CRUSH!!!!
                    :smash

LONG LIVE THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                      If you mean the comp picks, those can't be traded.

Comment

The draft: The Broncos have to get better here, especially in the second and third rounds. Aside from cornerback Bradley Roby and defensive tackle Sylvester Williams, their past two drafts were disappointing.
                        First off it is easy to cherry pick two rounds, ignoring the rest of the draft work, and say a team needs to improve...but ok lets do it

2nd - Rahim Moore - starter when healthy. Could be better but there are allot worse safties. His mistake against Balt in playoffs definitely haunts his overall perception.
                        2nd - Orlando Franklin - Starter at RT and Guard. People talking about we may not be able to afford to keep him...that sounds like a success to me.
                        3rd - Nate Irvin - slight disappointment but was having a good 2014 until injured.

2nd Derek Wolfe - one of the best run defenders at his spot in the NFL. Had injury setbacks in 2013 and did not come back as strong in pass game in 2014 imo but was still an elite run defender.
                        2nd Brock Osweiller - has been riding the bench because of PM
                        3rd Ronnie Hillman - was underclassman and small size when drafted. 2014 finally started to look good before injury.

2nd Monte Ball - Disappointment imo, book still open (on all 2013 and 2014 picks imo)
                        3rd Kayvon Webster - Allot of CBs on roster, talk or move to safety in 2015

2nd Cody Latimer - allot of WRs on roster...has not played much so far
                        3rd Michael Schofield - nothing to speak of so far

I know they ignored the 2011 draft but honestly it should be included to show when they had the chance to pick at top of the round they took advantage. It is allot harder to pick after 25-30 teams have picked.
                        Last edited by Hadez; 02-08-2015, 05:45 PM.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I think the draft just got weaker, as Brian Xanders departed. He drafted our best class, as he left, our drafts have definitely become weaker.
                          2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

This might be a little off topic - I couldn't really find a perfect thread to post this in.

NFL.com has released it's current power rankings as they seem to be right now. I'm disappointed to see the Broncos sitting at 10th, but how can I argue after the kind of effort we saw in POSTseason last year...

Anyhow, here's what was written under the Bronco name:

With all the questions surrounding Peyton Manning, I can at least answer one: The quad is fine. That's what Manning told me backstage at "NFL Honors," where he was showing support for the man who drafted him, Hall of Fame electee Bill Polian, and was completely classy. It was neat to see Peyton there for his old boss. If Manning does hang 'em up, appreciating the full breadth of his brilliant career will be difficult, mainly because he started right out of the gate -- and like Dan Marino, was outstanding in just his second year in the bigs. Speaking of second-year stars, people better appreciate C.J. Anderson. There was nothing fluky -- or Tatum Bell-esque -- about his production this past year. Couple his desire with the addition of offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, and we might be looking at a 1,350-yard campaign in 2015.
                            I think Harrison does highlight something all us fans have to look forward to. And that is CJ Anderson under the leadership of Kubiak's philosophy and Dennison at OC. Now obviously with Manning there, it's not going to be a pure Kubiak system but that's ok. Anyhow, this is one aspect I truly look forward to and I sincerely hope to see CJ take command of the RB depth chart. Montee Ball is not to be forgotten yet either. Injuries and lackluster performances that some could blame on the offensive line .... or more accurately the philosophy or lack of commitment to the running game. But even then, Ball wasn't able to carry the team on his back. Is that asking too much? Sure it is. For any normal player it is. But it wasn't too much to ask of CJ - and I'll leave it there. I believe there are good things still to come for Monte Ball, but CJ earned his chance to top the depth chart so long as he keeps it all up.

I saw the Bills signed Incognito. I only mention that because we all know the Broncos are going to be looking for some OL and his name was flirted with a LOT during mid season. I hope the Manning decision comes in soon so we can all have an idea of the direction of the Broncos for this next season.

These weeks here are the worst for NFL fans. It's the dryest part of the season. Deflategate isnt even anywhere to be found on the main page of nfl.com. So Denver, lets make some noise this offseason and create some more excitement for the upcoming run. I think Elway will do just that. And Manning will kick it all off with his announcement. I'm surprised I've done a complete 180 on what Manning would do. At the end of the Bronco's season, I really did think Manning would hang em up -with the coach firings and Manning's depressed statements. But now, with all these records so close to being broken, it's hard for me to fathom Manning quitting now. Not to mention Ware and Miller's statements suggesting Manning's return.
                            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Working...
                            X