Report: Broncos may not want Manning back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
    This is business. You never show all your cards. As another poster said, Tebow was the starting QB and then traded 2 weeks later.

Do you really think Elway is going to come out and say "Yeah PM lost a step. Hes not worth 20 million to us. We may just cut him if he wont renegotiate."

He would never get another FA to come play here again. He is playing the game. Saying all the right things so he can still be the good guy to the fanbase. Like it or not, there is a large segment of people who just pay attention to Names. OHHHHH We have PM as QB!. ... Gee neat... that might have been cool 7 years ago. PM is also a proud QB who is loved by the media. He has to tread lightly in any discussions with him.

You asked for evidence the team may not want him back?

I can think of many reasons.

Firing the head coach makes him would most likely make a guy on the fence about coming back think twice.
    Firing the OC would most likely make a guy on the fence think twice about coming back.
    Changing the offensive Scheme and or philosophy..
    Possibly not retaining personnel that manning has his chemistry with (DT/JT etc...)
    This upcoming meeting with the FO "prior to him agreeing to come back"

I really don't think this is as much a lock as people feel it is. I really think Elway is going to put the screws to PFM. He will use examples like tom brady taking a team contract to make it possible to win. "I don't want to cut you, but we need the cap space" "do you want to part way mutually?" " time to retire so we don't have to cut you?" "you know we could fail you at your physical" that sort of stuff.
    If Elway didnt want Peyton back, he wouldnt have said "we want him back". It would have been more along the lines of a non-committal "it's up to him".
    sigpic

Comment

People are very misinformed.

The guy reporting this is writing Elways autobiography.

It's real.

I think they want him to restructure.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

It's real.

Yup, it's real. What is your gut saying Cory? Do you think he restructures and stays, goes to another team or retires? I'm asking as I think you have good instincts.
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
          Sounds like another reporter trying to make a name for themselves. No sources named, only rumors.
          Bleacher report...I don't care that it's part of CBS Sports now...Bleacher report is all I had to read to know this was just worthless clickbait.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Larryh View Post
            I would seriously doubt that Elway would ever cut Peyton Manning, He has too much class for that. If this article is true and I certainly don't know if it is or not, JE will go to Peyton and say, "I think it is time you hang them up and we want you to retire." At that point Peyton will have a choice, he can either retire or decide he wants to go to another team. Quite frankly, I can't imagine him going to another team, I think he would retire and move on the the next part of his life. I doubt if we will hear the last of Peyton Manning in football circles. Either way, I will be a happy Bronco fan and I look forward to whatever the future holds.
            See I am totally on the other side with Elway. Everyone knows that there was a difference in opinion between him and Fox about what we need to do to win, and I think that we all know that it was about PM. BUt I think that Fox was the guy that wanted to stick with PM. He is a players coach, always has always will be. He was never going to step off the Jake Delhome train. I find it very hard to believe that he wouldnt do the same for PM. I think Elway knows that PM is done. He knows that PM has no shot at a SB, and is ready to move on. All feelings for PM aside. We have some huge pieces due contracts this year and next. We need the money allotted to PM to keep them here. PLus we need to see what Oz can due before we have to sign him to his second contract and pay him as a starter sight unseen. Elway is to smart to trade away any chance of a SB for the 9-12 regular season wins and quick playoff exit that we are sure to get with PM
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
              Yup, it's real. What is your gut saying Corey? Do you think he restructures and stays, goes to another team or retires? I'm asking as I think you have good instincts.

He's going to play one last season here, I believe.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Let's go Brock!

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                  See I am totally on the other side with Elway. Everyone knows that there was a difference in opinion between him and Fox about what we need to do to win, and I think that we all know that it was about PM. BUt I think that Fox was the guy that wanted to stick with PM. He is a players coach, always has always will be. He was never going to step off the Jake Delhome train. I find it very hard to believe that he wouldnt do the same for PM. I think Elway knows that PM is done. He knows that PM has no shot at a SB, and is ready to move on. All feelings for PM aside. We have some huge pieces due contracts this year and next. We need the money allotted to PM to keep them here. PLus we need to see what Oz can due before we have to sign him to his second contract and pay him as a starter sight unseen. Elway is to smart to trade away any chance of a SB for the 9-12 regular season wins and quick playoff exit that we are sure to get with PM
                  The problem with this theory is what Elway said about wanting Manning to come back. He's boxed himself in. He wasn't non-committal like he was with Tebow. If he's changed his mind, it's going to be hard to let Manning go without it looking like he was pushed out.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

This upcoming meeting between Manning, Elway and Ellis, is probably about what we are dancing around with here.
                    Public posturing will be put aside and the 3 gents can sit down and truly see what all parties really want. The BS would stop and the reality will reveal itself.
                    If Elway indeed wants to move on, then that's what will happen.

Let's take a different tact here. Let's say that Elway wants to be rid of Manning. Will Peyton retire, or would he want to play elsewhere? He's working out with the intention of continuing, so let's discuss the possbility of him continuing his career elsewhere. Is that a possbility? Where?
                    If we assume that he wants to play 2 more seasons, the one place that sticks out to me is Houston. They have a solid defense, a weak division, and NO quarterback. Could that happen?
                    What would Denver fans think?
                    If Manning is not playing for Denver in 2015, do yoy want him to retire, or would you have no problem with him playing elsewhere?
                    My impression is that the majority of you want him gone from your team, which is fine, but would you feel betrayed if he was released and DIDN'T retire, but continued to play?

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

It's real.

I think we want him to restructure as well. Not trying to get in a debate with anybody, but if Elway is serious about getting DT and JT locked up, I can't see him being content with losing DT or JT because a QB that has one year left with us is making to much money for us to get deals done.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                        I think we want him to restructure as well. Not trying to get in a debate with anybody, but if Elway is serious about getting DT and JT locked up, I can't see him being content with losing DT or JT because a QB that has one year left with us is making to much money for us to get deals done.
                        I believe to restructure would mean Manning's terms would be extended. If he is guaranteed $19M then restructuring could look something like $30M over two years; thus reducing the $19M. Elway could have that conversation with Manning without all the posturing of failing the physical.

Going public with the failing the physical almost seems like a warning shot over the bow. I am a little surprised by this tactic considering the two guys it involves.
                        sigpic

Comment

Elway has said he wants PM back and I trust Elway more then any internet writer.

Want to say I saw Kubiak say he wants PM back but can not remember the source.

I do think people are probably thinking is PM coming back best for the team and considering all options but one thing about this coaching staff and front office is I feel I can trust what they say 100%

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                          Thinking as a fan, I don't want Manning back. I'm ready to move on. I don't believe we can win a championship with him. Considering the new coaching staff and new system, I'd rather speed up our long-term plans which must include the evaluation of Osweiler. Without Manning, Kubiak won't have to bend his system and beliefs to fit a fading star that likely won't last beyond this season. I understand we may struggle to get back to the playoffs and each win will be a hard-fought battle again, but I'm ready for it because we will soon have to deal with this anyway.

Thinking as Elway and Kubiak, I can see why they would want Manning back. Elway needs a good season in 2015 to prove we have a championship roster and Fox was just riding Manning's success. Kubiak needs a good season to prove Elway right, to prove we needed better coaching to get to the next level. There will be a lot of pressure and a bad feeling if we go from 12-4 to 8-8 without a playoff spot. Manning can win in the regular season. Elway and Kubiak would rather get to the playoffs and then see what happens. Once Manning is gone, we will start a quest (which can be quick or take a long time) to find the proper replacement.

I really like our current coaching staff. I really like Kubiak's offense, I think it's the beautiful Broncos football the fans are used to. I just don't like the idea of bringing a new coaching staff and make them look like the previous coaches because Manning is still running the show. I want the head coach to run the show, with all players buying in.
                          This is a great post and very close to the way I feel.

One exception...if PM is fully on board to run Kubiaks offense (which I am sure will have tweaks for PM) then I am all for PM staying another year. IMO this includes accepting the fact we will be a run first team. If PM dedicates himself to a run first team the way Elway did his last two years then I am cool with PM staying.

I worry PM wants more stats...he wants more records...and if this is his motivation I personally want to show him the door.

In Denver the only thing we chase are Rings and wins. We do not pad stats here. Every player + coach needs to be on board with this. Every player needs to reconize the best way to getting a ring MAY be to let another guy be the man but to be ready to be The Man should the situation ask for it.

I personally do worry PM is not able to allow the running game to be featured but be ready to pick up the passing game when needed like Elway did his last two years.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtofManning View Post
                            This upcoming meeting between Manning, Elway and Ellis, is probably about what we are dancing around with here.
                            Public posturing will be put aside and the 3 gents can sit down and truly see what all parties really want. The BS would stop and the reality will reveal itself.
                            If Elway indeed wants to move on, then that's what will happen.

Let's take a different tact here. Let's say that Elway wants to be rid of Manning. Will Peyton retire, or would he want to play elsewhere? He's working out with the intention of continuing, so let's discuss the possbility of him continuing his career elsewhere. Is that a possbility? Where?
                            If we assume that he wants to play 2 more seasons, the one place that sticks out to me is Houston. They have a solid defense, a weak division, and NO quarterback. Could that happen?
                            What would Denver fans think?
                            If Manning is not playing for Denver in 2015, do yoy want him to retire, or would you have no problem with him playing elsewhere?
                            My impression is that the majority of you want him gone from your team, which is fine, but would you feel betrayed if he was released and DIDN'T retire, but continued to play?
                            Who's the betrayer in this scenario?

I don't see how it could be Manning. Let's not forget that, legacy-wise, Manning is a Colt. If the Broncos let him go, he can't really be looked at as having betrayed Denver by going to play somewhere else.

How funny would it be if he went to Houston, where the coach that rejected him there in 2012 is now in Denver? How bad would it be for Elway if the Texans or whoever make the playoffs the next two years and the Broncos don't?
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

First , please understand this isn't some Internet writer with no credibility. This is someone with intimate knowledge of the broncos, in as much as he's writing the vice presidents autobiography.

If he leaves, I'd assume he'll play in Tennessee.

If he won't restructure, cut bait and move on. He's not a
                              19 million dollar QB. If he's serious about winning, let's see the proof.
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                                Who's the betrayer in this scenario?

I don't see how it could be Manning. Let's not forget that, legacy-wise, Manning is a Colt. If the Broncos let him go, he can't really be looked at as having betrayed Denver by going to play somewhere else.

How funny would it be if he went to Houston, where the coach that rejected him there in 2012 is now in Denver? How bad would it be for Elway if the Texans or whoever make the playoffs the next two years and the Broncos don't?
                                I doubt that would have any bearing on what Elway does. The Broncos fill the stadium (I've been told) no matter how the team does, so a down year or two would have a negligible affect on attendance and revenue.
                                So there is no real risk in releasing Manning. The fans will show up no matter what the product.
                                Besides, from what I've gathered, the team was a perennial SB contender before Manning got there anyway. Him leaving certainly won't change that.

Comment

Working...
                                X