Report: Broncos may not want Manning back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Elway has said he wants PM back and I trust Elway more then any internet writer.

Want to say I saw Kubiak say he wants PM back but can not remember the source.

I do think people are probably thinking is PM coming back best for the team and considering all options but one thing about this coaching staff and front office is I feel I can trust what they say 100%

This is a great post and very close to the way I feel.

One exception...if PM is fully on board to run Kubiaks offense (which I am sure will have tweaks for PM) then I am all for PM staying another year. IMO this includes accepting the fact we will be a run first team. If PM dedicates himself to a run first team the way Elway did his last two years then I am cool with PM staying.

I worry PM wants more stats...he wants more records...and if this is his motivation I personally want to show him the door.

In Denver the only thing we chase are Rings and wins. We do not pad stats here. Every player + coach needs to be on board with this. Every player needs to reconize the best way to getting a ring MAY be to let another guy be the man but to be ready to be The Man should the situation ask for it.

I personally do worry PM is not able to allow the running game to be featured but be ready to pick up the passing game when needed like Elway did his last two years.
    God knows I hope Manning wants more than padding his stats. He NEEDS another Championship more than his next breath. I know I'm not by myself in this, but every time I think of Mannings Super Bowl Championship, I automatically think about Rex Grossman. That's not good.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtofManning View Post
      I doubt that would have any bearing on what Elway does. The Broncos fill the stadium (I've been told) no matter how the team does, so a down year or two would have a negligible affect on attendance and revenue.
      So there is no real risk in releasing Manning. The fans will show up no matter what the product.
      Besides, from what I've gathered, the team was a perennial SB contender before Manning got there anyway. Him leaving certainly won't change that.
      Um no, we were not a perennial SB contender before Manning got here. Since our SBs, we had a playoff game with Jake Plummer in 2005 or 2006, sorry, can't remember the year, and we won a playoff game with Tebow during that crazy season in 2011. IIRC, that's it's.

Let's be honest, the second Manning walked onto the field, that's when we became an instant contender and an automatic lock to be in the playoffs.

Sure, it hasn't exactly worked out the way we hoped but it was great that before the season even started, we all were talking about what would happen in the playoffs because we knew we'd be in them. Before he got here, we were wishing on a prayer and hoping against hope to be there.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        This is someone with intimate knowledge of the broncos, in as much as he's writing the vice presidents autobiography.
        Jason Cole is a little too big to actually be John Elway.
        "This is a terrible thread and I've negged the OP." -CoryWinget81
        "If the ACL is torn ... Von will in fact miss next year as well." -PFM2013

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          Um no, we were not a perennial SB contender before Manning got here. Since our SBs, we had a playoff game with Jake Plummer in 2005 or 2006, sorry, can't remember the year, and we won a playoff game with Tebow during that crazy season in 2011. IIRC, that's it's.

Let's be honest, the second Manning walked onto the field, that's when we became an instant contender and an automatic lock to be in the playoffs.

Sure, it hasn't exactly worked out the way we hoped but it was great that before the season even started, we all were talking about what would happen in the playoffs because we knew we'd be in them. Before he got here, we were wishing on a prayer and hoping against hope to be there.
          You don't say!!

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
            God knows I hope Manning wants more than padding his stats. He NEEDS another Championship more than his next breath. I know I'm not by myself in this, but every time I think of Mannings Super Bowl Championship, I automatically think about Rex Grossman. That's not good.
            No, he doesn't need that at all.
            There is a misperception that Manning NEEDS something to validate his career.
            Why? His "legacy" is whatever some fans say it is, in any given moment. Patriots fans for example, can't stand him, and love to rip on him at every chance. Other fans are less critiical, but it all goes with the territory.
            If he really is an over rated QB, then so be it. he'll retire with his multi millions, probably work his way into a partial ownership of an NFL franchise and go from there.
            People will remember him the way they choose to.
            Another SB would be great for him and his team, but it won't effect his future earning power or his family, one iota.

Comment

Originally posted by dbjeff View Post
              Jason Cole is a little too big to actually be John Elway.
              Funny, but okay.

I assume he's assisting with the book. Not uncommon to have help on an autobiography.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I doubt that would have any bearing on what Elway does. The Broncos fill the stadium (I've been told) no matter how the team does, so a down year or two would have a negligible affect on attendance and revenue.
                So there is no real risk in releasing Manning. The fans will show up no matter what the product.
                Besides, from what I've gathered, the team was a perennial SB contender before Manning got there anyway. Him leaving certainly won't change that.
                While the sell out streak wouldn't necessarily be in jeopardy, Elway's legacy could be. He's already taking a risk by even being in the job. He fired Fox because he said the team didn't go down kicking and screaming and because of a difference in opinion on how to get to the next level. He then hired a coach, whom, by his record, it cant be proved that he's better than Fox. If Manning were to leave and play somewhere and have success, fans could turn against Elway.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

No, he doesn't need that at all.
                  There is a misperception that Manning NEEDS something to validate his career.
                  Why? His "legacy" is whatever some fans say it is, in any given moment. Patriots fans for example, can't stand him, and love to rip on him at every chance. Other fans are less critiical, but it all goes with the territory.
                  If he really is an over rated QB, then so be it. he'll retire with his multi millions, probably work his way into a partial ownership of an NFL franchise and go from there.
                  People will remember him the way they choose to.
                  Another SB would be great for him and his team, but it won't effect his future earning power or his family, one iota.
                  Maybe Peyton doesn't feel like he needs one, but I'm sure Denver fans would much rather prefer a SB than having a QB break meaningless regular season records.

Comment

Manning has one year left in the tank, maybe.

How long have the Broncos been in existence? How long will they continue to be in the NFL?

Letting Manning walk is better for the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                      Thinking as a fan, I don't want Manning back. I'm ready to move on.
                      I agree BUT consider the scenarios:

a. Peyton Manning retires this offseason, Brock lands the starting gig, and shows enough for us to re-sign him. What are the terms of that deal?
                      b. We have 18 for one more year, Brock's contract runs out as our lead QB retires, so we're in need of a new one and he's familiar with our system. It's possible he goes elsewhere but best bet is that he stays here. Again: terms?
                      c. We have Peyton Manning for two more years, Brock throws his hands up in the air. Doubt the FO lets this happen.

I'm thinking b. is what plays out best for us financially. None of the deals are going to be more than 2-3 years because he's going to want to prove he's worth more and land a big contact. But if it runs out before he even plays then it'll be dirt cheap. This is assuming, of course, he does have what it takes to make it. That's the advantage of him playing this year. That and getting him the reps. I'm just saying one more year of riding the bench could setup a Russel Wilson type value.

Comment

45 years and counting.

# 2 Denver Broncos
                        Hometown Crowd Rank: 5
                        TV Audience Rank: 4
                        Stadium Attendance Rank: 1
                        Social Media Rank: 4
                        Merchandise Rank: 2
                        Last edited by BroncosDivision; 02-11-2015, 08:36 AM.
                        Adopted Poster
                        AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                          I agree

I assume the only reason he would want more stats is to worry about his legacy. IMO regular season stats are not going to help him that much. Yea in the next 4-6 years they will look good but imo this league is headin into a direction where every single passing stat will be broken sooner or later. Luck is probably going to pass PM on allot of stats. Shoot do not be surprised if Cutler passes some of PM stats.

Honestly what do people remember about Marino? What do people remember about Kelly? When talking about the best of the best they get slid to the side for allot of qbs with rings.

The only stat that holds true through the test of time is Super Bowl wins. Yea PM will probably only get one more...slight chance he stays around for a 2nd...2 Rings looks better then 1 no matter what else you lookin at though and imo if he is willing to change how he does things to win another ring that also will say allot about his ability to play QB
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                            First , please understand this isn't some Internet writer with no credibility. This is someone with intimate knowledge of the broncos, in as much as he's writing the vice presidents autobiography.

If he leaves, I'd assume he'll play in Tennessee.

If he won't restructure, cut bait and move on. He's not a
                            19 million dollar QB. If he's serious about winning, let's see the proof.
                            I understand your point

and it is possible Elway has changed his mind

Last I herd Elway wants PM back. Does not matter if the source is the most trusted reporter/writer in the world I personally will take Elway's word

Also the report in the first post of this thread is not very details
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                              44 years and counting.

# 2 Denver Broncos
                              Hometown Crowd Rank: 5
                              TV Audience Rank: 4
                              Stadium Attendance Rank: 1
                              Social Media Rank: 4
                              Merchandise Rank: 2
                              Right. Mile High Stadium was sold out three years before the Broncos' first winning season.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFieldA View Post
                                Maybe Peyton doesn't feel like he needs one, but I'm sure Denver fans would much rather prefer a SB than having a QB break meaningless regular season records.
                                If he plays in 2015, he breaks yardage, and wins, and maybe completions.
                                There is a chance he gets a SB Ring.
                                If he doesn't play, he doesn't get any records or a SB Ring.

In either case, the records or the Ring are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Working...
                                X