Report: Broncos may not want Manning back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larryh View Post
    Just for curiosity sake, I decided to find out what I could on my own about attendance figures and what I found when I examined home attendance was quite interesting. Denver has consistently been number 5 in the league in home attendance but here are the attendance figures for the years 2006 to 2014

2006 - 610,776

2007 - 612,888

2008 - 604,074

2009 - 600,928

2010 - 599,264 - Tim Tebow started 3 games as a rookie

2011 - 602,618 - Tim Tebow became full time qb in the 6th game of the season.

2012 - 613,062 - Peyton Manning arrives and Tim Tebow is traded.

2013 - 614,977

2014 - 615,517

Average yearly increase in attendance after Peyton arrives: 11,920

It is clear that when Peyton arrived so did more fans. Now outside of being interesting this is not by any means a reason to keep him. But those people who are suggesting that the Broncos attendance is the same no matter what are clearly not seeing the whole picture. To argue that cutting Manning will have no effect on the bottom line is not an effective argument in my opinion. JMHO
    I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not but just to be clear, I have said no such thing - on the contrary;

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
    As long as he's healthy (Manning), he's worth every buck and more. Fans might not care but the added revenue and brand exposure alone more than makes up for what we're paying him - by a large margin too.

These are things that factor into Ellis' decision, like it or not.
    As for the attendance figures, keep in mind that they are just that. Broncos still sold out throughout that period.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not but just to be clear, I have said no such thing - on the contrary;

As for the attendance figures, keep in mind that they are just that. Broncos still sold out throughout that period.
      True but believe me I was not referring to anyone in particular. It is just that over the past year or so I have read many posts that have said that the Broncos would not miss a thing (in the pocket book) if Peyton was to leave. This reference of course is always referring to his salary and his hit on the cap. If you think I was targeting you please accept my apologies.
      Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

True but believe me I was not referring to anyone in particular. It is just that over the past year or so I have read many posts that have said that the Broncos would not miss a thing (in the pocket book) if Peyton was to leave. This reference of course is always referring to his salary and his hit on the cap. If you think I was targeting you please accept my apologies.
        All good, no apologies necessary. You quoted my post earlier so I wasn't sure.
        Adopted Poster
        AZ Snake Fan

Comment

All good, no apologies necessary. You quoted my post earlier so I wasn't sure.
          Actually I quoted them because I thought they were very interesting and I just got curious about what the stats had been earlier. Perhaps I could have been clearer....best wishes
          Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

Those attendance numbers have no effect on income.

Those numbers you quoted for attendance numbers you linked are not actually linked to profit from ticket sales. That entire time before Peyton we sold out as well as during Peyton we sold out. The difference is that more people showed up. Regardless though about the same amount of tickets were sold. Ticket sales don't fluctuate when attendance does when your stadium is constantly sold out. It just means less peoples tickets went to waste. However I do think that Peyton does have some bearing on selling merchandise and concessions. Denver doesn't actually directly get the money from merchandise and the difference in concessions is probably negligible at best. Also though if this team keeps winning without Peyton I don't think you will see a massive decline in attendance. However if Peyton leaves and they start to do bad then the facts show very obviously that attendance drops.

Comment

The problem Manning has is that his arm strength is diminished and is arguably the weakest arm in the league. Coupled with his nil mobility, his threat is more cerebral than actual. Because of this defenses can cover less field. Less coverage means tighter coverage. Joe Montana made a career out of short passes; hopefully Manning can be successful at that also; but I am of the opinion it will be an uphill climb for him and not one I am sure he will be successful at. I also do not think it is a $19-M risk worth taking.
              Last edited by Rancid; 02-12-2015, 06:17 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                The problem Manning has is that his arm strength is diminished and is arguably the weakest arm in the league. Coupled with his nil mobility, his threat is more cerebral than actual. Because of this defenses can cover less field. Less coverage means tighter coverage. Joe Montana made a career out of short passes; hopefully Manning can be successful at that also; but I am of the opinion it will be an uphill climb for him and not one I am sure he will be successful at. I also do not think it is a $19-M risk worth taking.
                The last few times teams bottled up Manning and forced him to look short and quick, he got antsy and and tried to take a bunch of deep shots.

That, and, I don't understand why people think Manning's game is so cerebral anymore. Sure, he can read the defense at the line with the best of them, but after the ball is snapped he's going to throw 1 of 4 passes.

Quad injury or not, Manning was prone to fluttering, rainbow, murderballs already. The next time we see him he'll be a year older. I don't care if he's working out with a guru, this that and the other. Another year on a body that has been encased in concrete for a few years now. I'm honestly concerned he'll be able to hand the ball off outside of the tackle box without a gimmick, which will severely limit his role in the offense.

He's the best chance we have at winning in 2015, but for how long? He'll come out on fire for 4 or 5 games and everyone will be screaming "TOLD YA SO" and then something will happen, Manning will fade, and the excuse parade will be trotted back out.

I really, really hope I'm wrong.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  The last few times teams bottled up Manning and forced him to look short and quick, he got antsy and and tried to take a bunch of deep shots.

That, and, I don't understand why people think Manning's game is so cerebral anymore. Sure, he can read the defense at the line with the best of them, but after the ball is snapped he's going to throw 1 of 4 passes.

Quad injury or not, Manning was prone to fluttering, rainbow, murderballs already. The next time we see him he'll be a year older. I don't care if he's working out with a guru, this that and the other. Another year on a body that has been encased in concrete for a few years now. I'm honestly concerned he'll be able to hand the ball off outside of the tackle box without a gimmick, which will severely limit his role in the offense.

He's the best chance we have at winning in 2015, but for how long? He'll come out on fire for 4 or 5 games and everyone will be screaming "TOLD YA SO" and then something will happen, Manning will fade, and the excuse parade will be trotted back out.

I see it the same way you do. I might go on to say that Manning is the football equivalent of Stephen Hawking at QB. I think the offensive scheme can be adjusted to be more accommodating, but why should it be? The answer might be he is viewed by Elway et al. as our best chance considering we draft 28th or Elway feels compelled to honor the commitments he made to Manning when he brought him here. Whatever it is, it is not worth $19-M.

I think back to those 49'ers offenses ran by Montana and remember thinking what a geezer looking offense it was-- yet he was successful at it. Thinking this way gives me hope and makes me feel better.
                  sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=BANJOPICKER1;5154083]Whats with all these negative waves Moriartie? The bridge will be there, its a beautiful bridge! and it will be there!

This is a Quote from Odd Ball in the movie Kellys Heros and I think it fits here..

Have faith baby!:thumb:

One of my favorite movies, lol cps

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!![/QUOTE]
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

indy didnt force him to throw short. they forced him to throw the sidelines and deep. they dared him to do it. so both him and gase did it. 10x and didnt hit one.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

I hope you are wrong too, but I have all of the same concerns as you. Manning's play was declining well before he injured his quad. In my opinion he hasn't looked like himself since the New England game. Yeah he threw five TD's against Oakland, but it was painful to watch and the stats didn't tell the whole story.

Manning also did something this year that he historically has never done. He struggled against 4-3 defenses. Seattle showed everyone the blueprint to embarrass our offense, and St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis did the exact same thing to us and made it look easy.

I'm a huge fan of Peyton, and like every year I will be optimistic if he comes back... but I'm ready for a new era of Denver football.

Comment

• Originally posted by JT24Champ View Post
                          indy didnt force him to throw short. they forced him to throw the sidelines and deep. they dared him to do it. so both him and gase did it. 10x and didnt hit one.
                          And that's the rub. He cannot throw a 30-yard pass with zip. He can float them out there as 'murderballs', but his radius of throwing balls with authority is the smallest in the NFL. Teams know this and play a shorter field against him-- making tighter coverage. The only threat he has is the route creativity and the deception. Teams are wising up and realizing the hype is over-stated. But, Montana was exactly the same through much of his career. He murdered teams with 5-yard passes and then would hit Rice or Clark for 20. Manning can do this.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X