Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New playing surface for Sports Authority Field at Mile High...100% Kentucky bluegrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redneckrocker
    replied
    Surprised they don't go with that artificially "grassy turf" that so many teams from HS to the Pros have now. Especially now that they built that indoor training complex.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
    Originally posted by Rastic View Post
    Yeehaw!

Ive heard you Denverites are pretty good at growing your own grass.:thumb:
    I haven't lived there for a long, long time.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by JT24Champ View Post
    how? in the article i provided from last year. it says right in there from the field manager that the field is 100% real grass

Edit:

the quote was misleading. the grass is 100%. there some synthetic fibers

There's more you don't see: Running vertically through the root zone, and peeking out only about a quarter-inch above the soil, is the turf's deep-green secret: bundles of thin, polypropylene fiber. There is one four-fiber bundle in each square three-quarters of an inch — 30,000 miles of fiber throughout the field — to stabilize it.
    correct. I took a tour of the stadium and they talked about the structure of the field and the technology involved. It was pretty interesting. Underneath the grass/turf they have pipes that suck away all of the water during rains or melting snow. I forgot how much it will pull but it was quite a bit so the field stays relatively dry during games in the rain.

Leave a comment:

• simplistickhaos
    replied
    I used to live in Fort Morgan and I drove past Graff all the time. They even offered to sod our yard but we were in a rental. Their grass is top notch.

Leave a comment:

• AussieBronco76
    replied
    Yeehaw!

Ive heard you Denverites are pretty good at growing your own grass.:thumb:

Leave a comment:

• JT24Champ
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    It's actually a mix of real grass and synthetic.
    how? in the article i provided from last year. it says right in there from the field manager that the field is 100% real grass

Edit:

the quote was misleading. the grass is 100%. there some synthetic fibers

There's more you don't see: Running vertically through the root zone, and peeking out only about a quarter-inch above the soil, is the turf's deep-green secret: bundles of thin, polypropylene fiber. There is one four-fiber bundle in each square three-quarters of an inch — 30,000 miles of fiber throughout the field — to stabilize it.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Broncos Ditching Synthetic Field At Mile High

Broncos Ditching Synthetic Field At Mile High, Using Kentucky Bluegrass Grown In Colorado

February 11, 2015 3:07 PM

DENVER (CBS4) – The Denver Broncos have begun a major renovation of the field at Sports Authority Field at Mile High this offseason.

According to the Broncos, the organization has partnered with Sports Contracting Group and Millennium Sports Technologies to upgrade the playing surface.

The field was removed on Monday and the new playing surface is expected to be in place by early April.

“Sports Authority Field at Mile High is committed to providing state-of-the-art amenities to fans and teams utilizing the stadium,” Director of Facilities for Stadium Management Company Zach Myhra said in a statement. “After completing extensive upgrades to the stadium in recent years, our focus now is providing the safest and best possible playing surface at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.”

The new field will be made of 100 percent Kentucky bluegrass sod grown by Graff’s Turf Farms in Fort Morgan. It’s a switch from the synthetic blend surface that has been used at the stadium since it opened in 2001.

The Denver Outlaws will have the honor of being the first to play on the new field during their home opener against the Charlotte Hounds on May 3.
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/02/1...n-in-colorado/

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I think what they are laying down is 100% grass. Sure it has all kinds of "growth" and "health" aids used to make it grow better (anyone remember the talk of KFC and how it is not really chicken anymore?) but it does seem to be grass.

Kentucky bluegrass is the most commonly used cool-season grass. Most often, it can be found providing the landscape for golf courses, athletic fields, home lawns and parks throughout the United States. The popularity of Kentucky bluegrass is due to its ability to thrive in hot and cool temperatures, tolerance to a variety of mowing heights and need for only moderate fertilization and watering.

Kentucky bluegrass spreads through underground runners known as rhizomes. Its root system may grow to depths of up to one and a half feet, providing dense, lush turf characterized by high resistance to weeds.
    http://www.landmarkturfandnativeseed...cky-bluegrass/

From the place we got it from

http://www.graffsturffarms.com/comme.../gtf-bluegrass

GTF Kentucky Bluegrass Premium Sod

This is by far the most widely used bluegrass sod. Our 4-way blend has a beautiful dark green color, soft padding-like texture, and has aggressive growth habits. This sod grass has been utilized for many types of locations including Coors Field, Invesco Field at Mile High, Folsom Field, Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, golf courses, parks, and thousands of private residences.
    •Most compatible for yards with: •Dogs & kids
    •High traffic areas
    •Full sun
    •Automatic sprinkler systems

•Best characteristics about GTF Kentucky Bluegrass Sod: •Ability to repair itself from pet urine or heavy traffic
    •9 months of green
    •Early spring green up
    •Carpet like softness

This cool season grass will stay green 8-9 months out of the year and possesses excellent winter hardiness. During summer months, it thrives in sunny areas while maintaining the aggressiveness to handle the wear and tear provided by children and dogs. One little known fact about Kentucky Bluegrass is that it is a Xeric© grass and that it is long-term drought tolerant. The newer varieties used in our GTF blend are more disease resistant, fungus resistant, and insect resistant than other blends of Kentucky Bluegrass.
    Last edited by Hadez; 02-12-2015, 08:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by JT24Champ View Post
    its grass. there was an article about it last year. ill try to find it.

edit: do you mean turf as playing field? or as in grass or synthetic. because the word turf is now used as synthetic but can be used as playing field too

so its grass vs turf.

denver field is grass. here is the link. great article
    http://www.denverpost.com/homegarden...-about-players

quote from the article,
    "It's a great system, because it resists divots and tearing," he said. And it lets him boast that the Broncos play on 100 percent real grass.
    It's actually a mix of real grass and synthetic.

Leave a comment:

• JT24Champ
    replied
    Remember how the field looked during preseason? It is definitely turf.

I'm guessing they've chosen a different kind of grass that's either more resilient in warm to cold weather conditions or is hearty and recovers quickly to damage.

Any experts out there?
    its grass. there was an article about it last year. ill try to find it.

edit: do you mean turf as playing field? or as in grass or synthetic. because the word turf is now used as synthetic but can be used as playing field too

so its grass vs turf.

denver field is grass. here is the link. great article
    http://www.denverpost.com/homegarden...-about-players

quote from the article,
    "It's a great system, because it resists divots and tearing," he said. And it lets him boast that the Broncos play on 100 percent real grass.
    Last edited by JT24Champ; 02-11-2015, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
    I thought Denver played on grass. I wonder if this is a choice that Kubiak brings with him
    Remember how the field looked during preseason? It is definitely turf.

I'm guessing they've chosen a different kind of grass that's either more resilient in warm to cold weather conditions or is hearty and recovers quickly to damage.

Any experts out there?

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
    I thought Denver played on grass. I wonder if this is a choice that Kubiak brings with him
    doubt it. big decision like that requires more thought and planning than they have time for since his hire.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    it's legal here now....

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Yeehaw!

Too funny!

Leave a comment:

Working...