Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julius Thomas wants to be among the highest-paid tight ends in the league

Per Rotoworld: Link
    According to ESPN's Jeff Legwold, free agent Julius Thomas has made it clear to the Broncos he wants to be among the highest-paid tight ends in the league.

When healthy, Thomas has shown he can be a dominant mismatch creator -- especially in the red zone. But he's been injured in three of his four NFL seasons, often hampered by cumbersome ankle issues. And with the Broncos shifting to more of a run-based attack under Gary Kubiak, it would be a surprise if they ponied up the cash to re-sign Thomas. So look for Thomas to hit the open market in March and get overpaid as a player that benefited greatly from Peyton Manning's presence. Julius will be asking for something just below the four-year, $40M deal Jimmy Graham got in July.
    I can't see us investing that type of money into someone who can't stay healthy.
    sigpic
    2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Here's my synopsis of what Mark Schlereth and Antonio Pierce on NFL Live. They first showed how much Gronk, Graham and Vernon Davis makes and the question was, "would you pay him at these salaries?" Both said, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Called him one dimensional, soft, doesn't want to get his fingernails dirty. Great matchup problem, but is not available. If he's not 100% he's not available. Only plays well in space. Not willing to block like Gronk, Vernon Davis.

Would let him walk and doesn't compare to DT's value to the team and said we need his salary to pay DT, for Oline and a better TE.

If he comes between him and DT, they were like, see ya, bye, go get your money somewhere else.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Sad to see this article. It's a shame the Broncos find a guy who has this kind of potential ... draft him .... develop him .... wait for him through his injuries .... and now see this.

LIke B<3 said, he's not TOP tier TE. He's close. He's a top tier pass catcher and route runner, but not an all around TE. If opponents don't have to worry about his blocking, how much of a threat is he really?

I'm kind of torn on this to be honest. Because he is home-grown so to speak, I want the best for him. But I want what's best for the Broncos 'now on' more.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

He bought himself a Falcon (like that State Farm commercial) . I think that is where JT will end up, Atlanta Falcons.

Comment

JT, gain 20 pounds of muscle and learn how tobblock and we can talk

Comment

IMO he is only a matchup problem against teams not good enough to win the Super Bowl

Teams with talent and good coaching can shut him down and the resources required to shut down JT does not leave holes in the defense for other players to make plays like it does when teams scheme to shut down Gronk or Graham.

Had a feeling from various clips I have seen that JT was going to go down this path.

Fine let him walk and lets get a 3rd or 4td round comp pick for him.

Like I been saying over and over JT will make more money but more teams will want Green and that is who we should sign. Pretty sure he will do what Kubiak/Dennison offense will require from a TE in all aspects...blocking and catching.

JT could be the TE who deserves this kind of pay in 2-3 years but right now I do not see the commitment to improve all aspects of his game that I saw from Sharpe who had similiar issues to what JT does now.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Ideally, if DT signs a long-term deal, we would franchise him.
              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
              I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Would rather bring in Owen Daniels. He might not be a match up problem for defenses like Gronk or Jimmy. But he is very well rounded and versatile. Good blocker, decent hands, decent speed. Could excel in this offense with Manning or with Oz. He's last QB was Flacco.

And unlike Orange Julius, if Daniels can play hurt, he will play hurt.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  IMO he is only a matchup problem against teams not good enough to win the Super Bowl

Teams with talent and good coaching can shut him down and the resources required to shut down JT does not leave holes in the defense for other players to make plays like it does when teams scheme to shut down Gronk or Graham.

Had a feeling from various clips I have seen that JT was going to go down this path.

Fine let him walk and lets get a 3rd or 4td round comp pick for him.

Like I been saying over and over JT will make more money but more teams will want Green and that is who we should sign. Pretty sure he will do what Kubiak/Dennison offense will require from a TE in all aspects...blocking and catching.

JT could be the TE who deserves this kind of pay in 2-3 years but right now I do not see the commitment to improve all aspects of his game that I saw from Sharpe who had similiar issues to what JT does now.

That's probably the most succinct and accurate way of portraying JT's play.

I, like some others, am torn with JT. He is a great passing TE; he's fast, has good hands, and generally runs good routes.

It seems everybody recognizes his problems blocking but him with the way he's quoted about wanting to be among the highest paid TE. As much as I would love to keep him, because I think he can improve with the right coaching, the attitude suggests he may believe in his own greatness. That's too bad.

Somebody will pay him, that is for sure, but unless he learns to put in the hard work - outside of a receiver - as a true TE, he'll never achieve what he thinks he already has.

I don't see us using the franchise tag on JT. Going in to next year that would give him leverage to demand even more.

Comment

Happy trails, Julius. He's not what I would call a "tough" player. He's not even a mediocre blocker. If he became a mediocre blocker next season, that'd be a vast improvement. The guy's basically a big WR.

Let him walk and get that money elsewhere. He'll fall into obscurity in just a few seasons.

Comment

First of all, DEN just cannot afford him... even at 8 mil per year. DT is the priority, and just as lethal a RZ target. They're almost redundant.

Secondly, JT has been hurt 3/4 seasons... Has played in what? 36 games in 4 seasons? He has chronic ankle problems. There's no way DEN will invest 4/40 and cross their fingers here.

Thirdly, we have Virgil Green and will compliment that with a TE like Owen Daniels, and will draft one if we feel it's a priority in the Kubiak offense.

Finally, JT is a matchup problem... a freakish athlete... But he's also a product of Peyton Manning; and if we have a solid OL that gives Manning time... Then we'll find TEs to get open.

This will be like Decker. He'll go somewhere and post solid numbers. We would've preferred to keep him... BUt we will move on. This is why we selected Lattimore, no? To replace Decker... I like that WR/TE from Michigan... We will hopefully find another replacement...

Comment

There's at least one really good TE prospect in the draft. I don't study college football like some of you guys but saw a video recently showing some dude who looked pretty awesome. JT isn't quite as unique as he might think he is. And he should remember that Manning is partially responsible for his numbers.

Like someone mentioned, if we can sign DT to a regular deal, that would leave the tag for someone else. That might be the perfect situation for JT. This way it's just for a single year, one year - to see Manning through to the end. He'll earn more than he's worth that way but it'll only be for one season. Maybe that's the best situation.
                        Last edited by dizzolve; 02-12-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

JT should definitely be a high paid mistake for some other team. If he could block then he'd be worth it.

As for DT, great guy and great player but I hope we get a nice hometown discount. Paying high $ for WR's doesn't seem to do much IMO. It seems to stunt teams rather than get them to the next level. You can get 2-3 high paid linemen that have an impact on every play for the kind of money WR's get.

NE, no over the top paid WR's and when WR's have asked for money in the past they've let them go. Seattle had Percy, got rid of him, and still made it to the SB without him and had they just run the ball they'd probably be champs again.
                          Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

And I want to be among the highest paid Fiber Splicers in the world, doesn't mean it's going to happen though.

Personally, I smell RAIDER-BAIT.........
                            #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                              And I want to be among the highest paid Fiber Splicers in the world, doesn't mean it's going to happen though.

Personally, I smell RAIDER-BAIT.........
                              I used to splice copper and fiber for AT&T ......... those glass splinters are the worst

Comment

Working...
                              X