Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning meets with Elway

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...sion-announced

"Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning met with general manager John Elway at the team's Dove Valley headquarters Thursday afternoon.

Manning left Thursday evening, but was not ready to make an announcement on whether he will play in 2015.

Broncos president Joe Ellis boarded owner Pat Bowlen's plane Thursday morning and flew to New Orleans to pick up Manning, who had been spending time in his hometown, visiting family and getting in a few workouts to help measure his physical condition.

The meetings Thursday were an encouraging sign Manning will return as he said Jan. 30 following the Bart Starr Award banquet that he wanted to meet personally with Elway and Ellis before making his decision. Manning, though, has always been the type who takes the necessary time to process all information before making any type of significant decision.

If Manning decides to play in 2015 he would have to pass a physical exam that would be administered between Feb. 23 and March 5. If Manning is on the Broncos' roster on March 9, his $19 million salary in 2015 would become fully guaranteed.

Advertisement

That Ellis flew more than 1,000 miles to pick up Manning and bring him back to the Centennial Airport (landing at 2:43 p.m.) for the meeting speaks to what the quarterback means to the organization.

Manning, who turns 39 next month, has justified the Broncos' investment and then some since he signed with the team in March 2012. In his three seasons with the team, Manning has averaged 43.7 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions, 4,954 yards, a 107.8 passer rating and 12.7 victories.

There was concern about how he finished the 2014 season. Through seven games, Manning threw 22 touchdown passes and only three interceptions. In his final 10 games, Manning threw 18 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions.

He suffered a strained quadriceps late in the first half of the Broncos' 14th game at San Diego. After the injury, Manning was picked off four times the next week at Cincinnati, threw no..."
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Manning met with Elway/Ellis today. No decision.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...sion-announced

What's it all about?
    Who is balking here? Does Manning want a release? Does Denver? Why the continued drama?
    Physical is supposed to be between Feb 23 and March 5. Maybe it's just that?

Comment

Too slow my friend

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...83#post5154483
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

I'm no expert since I've never had a job, but when an employee wants to talk to his boss, to me that's not a good sign. He could've called an announcement to say that he was coming back or just plainly called Elway and Co. To me a sit-down indicates bad news, but hey what do I know?
        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
          I'm no expert since I've never had a job, but when an employee wants to talk to his boss, to me that's not a good sign. He could've called an announcement to say that he was coming back or just plainly called Elway and Co. To me a sit-down indicates bad news, but hey what do I know?
          Bad news or good news, depending on your philsophical bent......
          I don't get what's going on either. Peyton has been working out/training with this guru, Shilstone. Is he serious about playing in 2015 or not? I think he wants to play in 2015.
          But what's the holdup? The physical is in 2 weeks or so, that could be a way out for both parties.
          It's been sugegsted that they could fail him for whatever reason and part ways with only a small dead money hit. Would they attempt to trade Manning? Simply release him?
          He may be planning to simply retire, but then why the workouts etc?

Comment

Dump my thread.....it's already covered.

Comment

I don't think this is anything other than what was planned by them all the night we lost to the Colts. I'm not sure what you're eluding to but I think this is probably just the meeting they all have talked about. Besides that, there is a physical that needs to be completed and that would require him to be there.

What I take from this is just that we're probably a significant step closer to getting the official word.
              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtofManning View Post
                Bad news or good news, depending on your philsophical bent......
                I don't get what's going on either. Peyton has been working out/training with this guru, Shilstone. Is he serious about playing in 2015 or not? I think he wants to play in 2015.
                But what's the holdup? The physical is in 2 weeks or so, that could be a way out for both parties.
                It's been sugegsted that they could fail him for whatever reason and part ways with only a small dead money hit. Would they attempt to trade Manning? Simply release him?
                He may be planning to simply retire, but then why the workouts etc?
                Maybe Manning, Elway and Ellis all know the decision already. But they're just not ready to do the CIRCUS presser that will follow - and it will be somewhat of a circus.

Also, this announcement could effect other teams too. A lot of dominoes will fall within the Broncos organization once this decision is made. Once it's announced dominoes outside the organization might be tipped too. There might be good reason to just wait till they planned to announce it. As long as everything is going according to plan upstairs in Dove Valley, I'm ok waiting. I know none of us want to - but in a few weeks, a day or week more isn't that big of a deal.
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I can spin off a bunch of scenarios

PM wants info

PM wants to retire

PM said he wanted to play and all is well

PM said he wanted to play and the Broncos said under XYZ circumstances (this can spin off on any number of different things)

I am guessing after watching the pressers for all our major coaches that league rules limit what can be discussed.
                  PM said he wants to play and Broncos said no (I doubt it just saying it can be a possibility)

All that we know is they met but rest assured we will know allot more inside a month...we will know on March 9 and possibly sooner.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                    Maybe Manning, Elway and Ellis all know the decision already. But they're just not ready to do the CIRCUS presser that will follow - and it will be somewhat of a circus.

Also, this announcement could effect other teams too. A lot of dominoes will fall within the Broncos organization once this decision is made. Once it's announced dominoes outside the organization might be tipped too. There might be good reason to just wait till they planned to announce it. As long as everything is going according to plan upstairs in Dove Valley, I'm ok waiting. I know none of us want to - but in a few weeks, a day or week more isn't that big of a deal.
                    That makes the most sense. I think they are planning his exit and how to do it gracefully. Will his exit be retirement or a release? Why is he working out with this trainer in New Orleans if he wants to retire?

Comment

Great, another non-story/empty article which doesn't answer The Question.

A simple tweet that Ellis flew to pick Manning up in NO was all that's needed, but I guess the DP has to fill their sports page with something -anything.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

In my opinion, Manning is a face to face guy, he'd rather come out and talk to everyone in person, regardless of what was said than phone someone. And maybe the new HC and OC just happened to be walking by the office while he was there? And maybe they just happened to have that playbook that Manning forgot to pack *wink, wink* we're getting close to the time of year where Manning takes the receivers to Dook for a week, probably helps to work out the details if you know which receivers you should take and which plays to work on, and because he left his playbook in Denver *wink, wink* after the playoff loss, he would have been unable to do that.

I think he's coming back, I think the Broncos want him back and I think we'll see no big announcement, things will just drag on, there will be reports of Manning and the receivers at Dook, there will be news released by the NFL that Denver passed him on his physical and then after the first days of OTA's he'll meet with the press and it'll be passed off as there was no doubt.

Comment

Manning needs to get out of his own ego and move on or take a paycut to help this team sign free agents and re-sign players

Comment

I think the fact that Ellis flew down to bring him home says all we need to know. He will return and none of them are ready to announce it yet. The personal training was to measure where he is and if he is returning I would think it would continue. The first half of last season he played like an MVP and if the injury was that significant then he is capable of returning to MVP like numbers and should not feel he must take a pay cut. I just have a lot of faith in his ability to judge himself on if he is where he needs to be to play. He may though be willing to a restructure like Brady did. We will all know soon. Jay Rebel Manning is not an ego maniac, the guy makes less than Matthew Stafford, Joe Flacco, Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers. He is a team guy, always does his pressers and is a down to earth person. I am hoping he plays another year if he is confident he can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtofManning View Post
                              That makes the most sense. I think they are planning his exit and how to do it gracefully. Will his exit be retirement or a release? Why is he working out with this trainer in New Orleans if he wants to retire?
                              What are you talking about? Elway said he wanted Manning back. Manning is working out in preparation for a return. He said all along he wanted to meet with Elway and Ellis before he announced his decision. How in the world do you come to the conclusion they are planning his exit? Wow, sounds like a whole lot of wishful thinking. Manning is coming back to play for the Denver Broncos in 2015. You can like it, hate it, not care or be worried, but it's going to happen regardless. I would imagine he sat down with Elway and Ellis and showed them tape of his workouts, showed them his arm is fine, he's healthy, and he's ready to go. At this point there is no reason to announce anything until the physical is done.
                              All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

Working...
                              X