Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos' Chris Harris Jr. tops Richard Sherman to rank No. 1 in PFF's coverage rankin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' Chris Harris Jr. tops Richard Sherman to rank No. 1 in PFF's coverage rankin

Broncos' Chris Harris Jr. tops Richard Sherman to rank No. 1 in PFF's coverage rankings

By Jon Heath

@JonHeathNFL on Feb 17, 2015, 9:00a 19
    Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports

Denver's Chris Harris Jr. beat out Seattle's Richard Sherman to rank as PFF's No. 1 cornerback in 2014.

It's no secret that Denver's Chris Harris Jr. was the top-ranked cornerback in 2014.

The bland stats (things like tackles and interceptions) don't tell the whole story. Advanced stats (things like coverage snaps and QB ratings against) help breakdown how good a CB really is.

On Monday, ProFootballFocus.com revealed some Signature Cornerback Stats:

Chris Harris Jr. of the Denver Broncos stands clear atop the rankings with a hugely impressive 0.57 YPCS score. (...) Harris was also moved about, spending 40% of his snaps covering the slot, however his YPCS performance inside (0.57) matched precisely his performance on the outside (0.57). Harris allowed just 7.7 yards per catch, the best mark among starting corners, and completed the season with a positive coverage grade in every game.

Kevin Connaghan wrote that Harris had a "remarkable" year, which is no surprise considering that he was PFF's No. 1 ranked CB in 2014.

Below is how Harris stacked up against PFF's top five CBs last season:
    Rank Name Team Coverage Snaps Yards NFL QB Rating Yards/Cover Snap
    1 Chris Harris Jr. Denver 623 356 47.8 0.57
    2 Richard Sherman Seattle 552 422 48.4 0.76
    3 Josh Norman Carolina 379 291 53.2 0.77
    4 Demetrius McCray Jacksonville 432 339 81.0 0.78
    5 Corey Graham Buffalo 408 344 57.0 0.84

Perhaps the most impressive stat above is Harris's allowed quarterback rating. QBs throwing against Harris posted an average rating of 47.8 in 2014. For comparison, consider Peyton Manning's 101.5 rating from a year ago.

Despite playing 71 more coverage snaps than Seattle's Sherman, Harris allowed fewer yards and a lower QB rating. Sherman recorded 4 interceptions in 2014. Harris recorded 3 for a third consecutive season.

Harris is, as Connaghan noted above, also more versatile than Sherman. In January's Pro Bowl game, Harris played inside, outside, and safety—all three positions in the secondary. Sherman only plays on the left side of the field.

Aqib Talib, who plays across from Harris, tied for No. 11 on the list, allowing .98 yards per snap.

Harris is not outspoken, which may be why he flies under the radar. But a loud mouth is not a requirement to being a standout cornerback.

Harris is as good as they come, and he has the stats to prove it.
    http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/2...k-no-1-in-pffs

That 5 year, 42 million extension he signed with Denver is looking pretty damn good now.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Think I know my next jersey purchase. I love everything about Chris Harris and am thrilled he is staying in Denver.

I used to work at the team store in the stadium and his mom would come in and talk to us every game day. Cleary one very proud mother... and for good reason.

If we can get our FS spot figured out (I am a fan of Moore, but am also intrigued by Webster's potential there) and a decent pass rush going I expect to see our turnover margin improve dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
      Think I know my next jersey purchase. I love everything about Chris Harris and am thrilled he is staying in Denver.

I used to work at the team store in the stadium and his mom would come in and talk to us every game day. Cleary one very proud mother... and for good reason.

If we can get our FS spot figured out (I am a fan of Moore, but am also intrigued by Webster's potential there) and a decent pass rush going I expect to see our turnover margin improve dramatically.
      Pay attention when you order it for sure. I ordered one not long ago (right after he signed the extension, I was so excited) and ended up with one of the Proline jerseys instead of the Nike ones. The price is exactly the same but I prefer the feel of the Nike.

I should add that I found out that at the time the Proline was the only one available for the Harris jersey, had I known, (or paid attention) I'd have waited.
      Last edited by FrostySeamus; 02-17-2015, 11:13 AM.
      Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

Originally posted by FrostySeamus View Post
        Pay attention when you order it for sure. I ordered one not long ago (right after he signed the extension, I was so excited) and ended up with one of the Proline jerseys instead of the Nike ones. The price is exactly the same but I prefer the feel of the Nike.

I should add that I found out that at the time the Proline was the only one available for the Harris jersey, had I known, (or paid attention) I'd have waited.
        Thanks for the tips! Its been so long since I bought a jersey. Felt like I was cursed with my choices (Portis, Lelie, Jevon Walker, Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, Eddie Royal, etc... )

I have a strict second contract rule now.

Comment

I've been saying for the last 3 yrs that Harris will be great! Glad he's finally getting his we'll deserved credit and I'm glad we inked before!

Comment

Someone changed my thread title.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
              Someone changed my thread title.

Read the sticky at the top of News Wire (which is where articles go).

"Perhaps the most impressive stat above is Harris's allowed quarterback rating. QBs throwing against Harris posted an average rating of 47.8 in 2014."

That is impressive.
              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Yeah I saw it, was pretty funny.

Comment

People do not always mention the injury he came back from...imo 2015 Harris will have a better year.

I still remember the kid playing the 3rd CB a couple years ago making plays and proving he can be relied upon.

That 5 year, 42 million extension he signed with Denver is looking pretty damn good now.
                  Football execs knew the kind of year Harris was having and one guy said we were getting a great deal. That the kind of hometown discount Harris gave us was unherd of.

Thing is the guy is still making big bucks and now we can try and keep some pass rushers on the team to make sure his job does not get harder.
                  Last edited by Hadez; 02-17-2015, 01:07 PM.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Chris Harris is amazing...not the most athletic CB which I tend to covet but the guy has amazingg instincts and is fantastic in press coverage and inside which is so damn difficult

Ideally I'd like to see him drop 10-15 lbs and get a tad faster but he's obviously already a special talent...and what a great contract extension by Elway

All good on this one

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post

"Perhaps the most impressive stat above is Harris's allowed quarterback rating. QBs throwing against Harris posted an average rating of 47.8 in 2014."

That is impressive.
                      Oops.

And it is impressive. So is giving up 66 yards less than Sherman in 71 more snaps.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh it looks real good! CHJ made his mark in the slot, so the way I view his contract, we made him the highest paid SCB in the league. The icing on the cake is his ability to play on the outside.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post

That is impressive.
                          That is impressive, love me some CHJ
                          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I really like Harris a lot and think Elway did a great job of resigning him we got a great deal on a great corner who is in the prime of his career

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                              Chris Harris is amazing...not the most athletic CB which I tend to covet but the guy has amazingg instincts and is fantastic in press coverage and inside which is so damn difficult

Ideally I'd like to see him drop 10-15 lbs and get a tad faster but he's obviously already a special talent...and what a great contract extension by Elway

All good on this one
                              He played between 185 and 190 this year as opposed to 200. And he did look faster. If he loses 15 more pounds he probably just loses all his strength. Some guys just aren't burners.
                              Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

Working...
                              X