No announcement yet.

Knighton Frustrated w/ Broncos Lack of Interest. Still Wants To Stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Elway and Xanders were very high on Nick Fairley back in 2011. It was even reported we thought about trading up to get him. Maybe he is our next project. When we signed Knighton, he had been benched in Jacksonville and was considered an underachiever. His value was so low we got fim for 2 years, $4.5 million. Fairley is in a similar situation, as he has failed to live up to his monster performance in college and 1st-round status. Plus, we just had another successful gamble on Marvin Austin, another talented DT that was almost out of the NFL. If Fairley can stay motivated and control his weight (similar issues that Knighton faced), he can be make a difference as a 1-gap shooter playing for Wade Phillips.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      Knighton can rush the passer though, he was rarely asked to do so. When it comes to his hands , he is great at using them to get off blocks and he's very quick. I haven't read much about his weight other than a few rumors of him being 350 lbs. to me he's looked the same since he's been here. Hasn't really effected his play yet so I'm not worried
      Since coming to Denver Knighton has been fined (or missed escalators in his contract) more than 300k for being overweight. Thats according to Denver ESPN radio host Cecil Lammey anyway.

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
      JT is as good as gone, Rahim probably is too, as well as Welker.

Kubes doesnt run alot of 3-4 wide sets, so between DT, Sanders, Cody, Norwood and whoever, that should be fine.

Supposedly Knighton might want 7.5 a year, big TK fan but thats a bit much for essentially a 2-down player.

I'd still make an effort to keep him, there really isnt anything to replace him. Sly has shown nothing of that.
      7.5 is definitely too high and far from a hometown discount. I would give him a contract that is worth 5.5 million in yearly guarantees with some weight related incentives that could bump it up another million.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        I remember Elway and Xanders were very high on Nick Fairley back in 2011. It was even reported we thought about trading up to get him. Maybe he is our next project. When we signed Knighton, he had been benched in Jacksonville and was considered an underachiever. His value was so low we got fim for 2 years, $4.5 million. Fairley is in a similar situation, as he has failed to live up to his monster performance in college and 1st-round status. Plus, we just had another successful gamble on Marvin Austin, another talented DT that was almost out of the NFL. If Fairley can stay motivated and control his weight (similar issues that Knighton faced), he can be make a difference as a 1-gap shooter playing for Wade Phillips.
        Fairley is a good buy low guy but he wont cost as cheap as Knighton did then.

Comment

Based on his past history. I have a lot of confidence in Bill Kollar, our new D-line coach.

I think he can help the linemen currently on out roster be better. I will wager he will have a weighty opinion on any free agents we are looking at including Knighton.

Even though we were pretty solid last season, I am looking for improvement in this area of our team based on better coaching.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X