Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Broncos RFA Priorities: One and two on opposite sides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos RFA Priorities: One and two on opposite sides?

I ran across this article on Mile High Report that sums up the tough decisions ahead.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/2...opposite-sides

What would you do?

Tough Decisions Loom:

Looking at our top 5 must sign UFA:

5) ILB Nate Irving 1-1.5 million

4) TE Virgil Green 2-3 million

3) DT Terrance Knighton 5 million

2) OL Orlando Franklin 6-8 million

1) WR Demaryius Thomas 12-14 million

Totals: 26-31.5 million

To sign these five players, it's going to eat at almost the entire Broncos current/projected cap space. Even after prioritizing our list, we are still left with a cash dilemma. After all the numbers are crunched and the balances are due, you're likely to see one big name walk.
    sigpic

DT,TK and VG....enough said.

Comment

DT, Franklin, and Pot Roast
      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Don't think DT and Franklin are must signs (say again, tag and trade DT), if we end up with Manning and DT accounting for 35M of cap space, we are done.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

DT will get the franchise tag if he can't be resigned and Elway said this is what will happen at his press conference today. Franklin is probably too expensive to keep and we will find someone cheap to replace him with. Unsure if we can keep pot roast if he is seeking top dollar. I think Manning would agree to a small pay cut, but not much as 5 quarter backs are making more than him and soon 6 with Wilson seeking 22-25mil in Seattle. But 3 or 4 mil would help some. Glad Elway is making these decisions.

Comment

The Broncos have a lot of Backers and will most likely draft at least one. They also have three DEs coming off of IR who will probably become OLBs. So, it would be great to re-sign Nate Irving, but not crucial.

It's vital to re-sign Virgil Green. The Broncos will probably draft a TE and sign a couple of UDFAs at that spot. They may find enough $ to sign a FA TE.

Terrance Knighton has been a great player and leader for Denver the past two years. I'm sure the Broncos would like to re-sign him. If they can't, they have enough depth due to the move to an odd front defense.

The Broncos need to re-sign Orlando Franklin, if possible. If he leaves, there would only be two or three experienced starters left on the OL. I doubt if someone equal to Franklin could be signed for the same amount it would take to keep him.

If Demaryius Thomas isn't re-signed, he must be tagged. If that resulted in him being a Bronco for only one or two more seasons, fine.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Assuming there is no NFL rule against it, Tag and Trade Demariyus. It would certainly make a lot of money problems go away. Can we replace him with someone with as much talent? Probably not. But, as long as Manning remains our QB, I believe Demariyus can be replaced without too much of a decline. And if we can get a Top Draft Choice for Demariyus, it would allow us to go after a top WR in the Draft at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                Assuming there is no NFL rule against it, Tag and Trade Demariyus. It would certainly make a lot of money problems go away. Can we replace him with someone with as much talent? Probably not. But, as long as Manning remains our QB, I believe Demariyus can be replaced without too much of a decline. And if we can get a Top Draft Choice for Demariyus, it would allow us to go after a top WR in the Draft at a fraction of the cost.
                Maybe it's just me, but DT seemed to drop balls at the worst possible times. Was this a concentration issue, coaching, what gives? I hate it when we give a player the big bucks and then get the big slump! To his credit, I love his attitude and would like to keep him, just want our money's worth.

Like Sam said, Knighton and Green and Franklin are a must.
                [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                  Maybe it's just me, but DT seemed to drop balls at the worst possible times. Was this a concentration issue, coaching, what gives? I hate it when we give a player the big bucks and then get the big slump! To his credit, I love his attitude and would like to keep him, just want our money's worth.

Like Sam said, Knighton and Green and Franklin are a must.
                  Additionally, he seems to have a lot of trouble with Cornerbacks that jam him at the LOS. With that being said, there's no doubt that he's a top wide receiver in the league and would garner a lot of interest. I'd hate to lose him, but as we saw with the HUGE year that Emmanuel Sanders had, with Manning as QB your WRs are going to look really good. And you can find another "Emmanuel Sanders" out there at half the price that it will require to keep DT.

I hate that Cody Latimer didn't get more time last season, but as we all know, not playing young players is just part of John Fox" M.O.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

The Broncos need to re-sign Orlando Franklin, if possible. If he leaves, there would only be two or three experienced starters left on the OL. I doubt if someone equal to Franklin could be signed for the same amount it would take to keep him.
                    I think the thing that makes Franklin so viable is considering Manning. Would Manning come back with 3-new starters on the line with some being rookies? Getting Franklin under contract means maybe just a new RT is added and Manning could probably live with that. But, does Franklin want to resign as a LG? It is an interesting dilemma.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                      I think the thing that makes Franklin so viable is considering Manning. Would Manning come back with 3-new starters on the line with some being rookies? Getting Franklin under contract means maybe just a new RT is added and Manning could probably live with that. But, does Franklin want to resign as a LG? It is an interesting dilemma.
                      O-Linemen playing more than one spot is a good thing. Franklin at LG means he can still provide depth at RT and RG. Vasquez and Ramires play multiple spots, too. Iupati is still rumored to be a FA possibility, but one would think that to be a contingency in the event Franklin leaves. The Broncos might draft as many as three O-Linemen. They may sign as many UDFAs. That's a lot of rookies.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                        I ran across this article on Mile High Report that sums up the tough decisions ahead.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/2...opposite-sides

What would you do?
                        The #'s there would be average salary per year ... signing bonuses can be used to limit the cap hit in the 1st/2nd years so there would be more room and the salary cap will likely go up about 5M this year. After this year or next Manning's cap # will be gone and the salary cap will be even higher.

Orlando getting more than 6M will mean he is getting more than Vasquez. IF he gets paid as a T than that might be fine but can it be justified to pay Franklin more than Vasquez?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                          Additionally, he seems to have a lot of trouble with Cornerbacks that jam him at the LOS. With that being said, there's no doubt that he's a top wide receiver in the league and would garner a lot of interest. I'd hate to lose him, but as we saw with the HUGE year that Emmanuel Sanders had, with Manning as QB your WRs are going to look really good. And you can find another "Emmanuel Sanders" out there at half the price that it will require to keep DT.

I hate that Cody Latimer didn't get more time last season, but as we all know, not playing young players is just part of John Fox" M.O.
                          The problem that has seem to plagued Denver for years now is our WR's struggling with teams that jam you at the LOS.The contrast is massive we look like Super Bowl champs every game but when we play a team who jams us at the LOS we look like the raiders.You,me and Shannon Sharpe(when he exploded after Denvers tame playoff exit)aswell as all the NFL coaches who play us in the post season can see this but up until now Denver has done nothing to address it.Shannon Sharpe was quoted as saying after our playoff loss "Coach Shanahan used to tell our receivers you better be ready to play CB's to jam you at the LOS or you wont win no ring never so he got his receivers game ready to overcome being jammed at the LOS.This is something we should be practicing more in pre season and regular season training etc our CB's also need to learn this art as watching Talib getting repeatedly burned by Hilton was woeful in that playoff game.It seems we have all these "star" players on big contracts who have a set style and just tell the coaches when asked to change a style for example play the LOS "oh I dont do that" WELL GET THE HELL OUT OF DENVER SHOULD BE THE COACHES REPLY.Caps sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            O-Linemen playing more than one spot is a good thing. Franklin at LG means he can still provide depth at RT and RG. Vasquez and Ramires play multiple spots, too. Iupati is still rumored to be a FA possibility, but one would think that to be a contingency in the event Franklin leaves. The Broncos might draft as many as three O-Linemen. They may sign as many UDFAs. That's a lot of rookies.
                            Bring back franklin, sign iupati to play rg, move Vasquez to center, and let schofield compete for the starting rt spot. Draft some competition at rt and maybe an eventual successor to clady at lt

Comment

This is why i've said get rid of Manning.

They cant add much outside of their own if he doesnt re-do his contract.

1/3 of the cap goes to DT.

Other third to draft/RFA, ERFA's.

And that leaves little money to fill other needs, and here we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X