• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TE/FB James Casey visiting Broncos

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 49m 49 minutes ago

Broncos will visit Thursday with former Houston FB/TE James Casey
    MileHighReport @MileHighReport · 3h 3 hours ago

Tight End James Casey to visit the Denver Broncos according to @caplannfl #Broncos http://sbnation.com/e/7856450
    Would certainly be a good pickup. Glad to see we're moving early.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Casey is a good veteran to help the transition to Kubiak's system, similar to Jacob Tamme in Peyton's system. He is versatile as a TE/FB, can block and play on special teams. The Eagles had too many TEs to feed and he did not get many chances there.

sigpic

Comment

Report: Tight End James Casey to visit the Broncos

By Scotty Payne

@Skotty_Payne on Feb 23, 2015, 1:09p 42
      Jeffrey G. Pittenger-USA TODAY Sports

The former Eagles tight end is scheduled to visit with the Denver Broncos.
      Tweet (13) Share
      Pin

According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan, the Denver Broncos are scheduled to visit with recently released tight end James Casey.

Casey signed with the Eagles two seasons ago but, never lived up to his contract. He only caught six passes for 90 yards and two touchdowns during that span. Casey was playing behind veteran Brent Celek and Zach Ertz during his two years so he had limited opportunities on offense.

Where Casey made his living was on Special Teams. He was the Eagles best all-around special teams player in 2014. He was second on the team with 13 special team tackles and also blocked two punts.

Casey does have a history with Head Coach Gary Kubiak. He was a fifth-round selection for the Houston Texans back in 2009. His best season for the Texans came in 2012 where he caught 34 passes for 330 yards, and 3 touchdowns.

For the Broncos, he would fit in as a backup tight end who can play some fullback at times, as well. His special teams play should intrigue the Broncos too.

Tight end is an area of need for the Denver Broncos. It is looking like tight end Julius Thomas is leaving Denver this offseason, and tight ends Virgil Green and Jacob Tamme are free agents as well. Casey would give the Broncos a solid reserve tight end who can do a little bit of everything for the team.
      Update:

The Denver Posts Mike Klis is reporting that the Denver Broncos will meet with Casey on Thursday.

Casey is expected to meet with the Cardinals first.
      Sounds like he was good on special teams too, just what we need. Sounds versatile. I bet we sign him.

Denver has also talked to Zach Zenner (the South Dakota State FB) at the combine as well.
      Last edited by Houshmazode; 02-23-2015, 03:22 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Sign him.

"Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Looks like he will be a good pass catching TE but the only question I have is can he run block.
          sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
          Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
          PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Comment

Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
            Looks like he will be a good pass catching TE but the only question I have is can he run block.
            He has experience as a FB so....
            sigpic

Comment

I don't see Manning making those bootleg throws to the TE like in the highlights. Thank god Kubs can figure out how to make it work in other ways.

This guy looks like he would be a nice pickup for several uses.
              sigpic
              Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
              2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
              2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Would be a solid get. Familiar with Kubiak, plus if Thomas leaves which seems all but certain we will really need help at the position.

Another name to look out for would be Owen Daniels. If we want to stay relatively young I think Casey is the way to go but I wouldn't count out the possibility of Daniels if Casey looks elsewhere.

I think if we get either of them then TE goes from a big need to a mid-level need assuming we can bring Green back.
                A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Sign him.

Only if he can run at the speeds we see in that highlight reel still. IF that is the case then I am all for it. If not I'd rather pass and look to the draft for another TE. I like Jesse James in the mid-rounds personally. I'd also like to see us use Juwan Thompson & a 7th rounder to pick up RB KENNY HILLIARD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl3HyFaWK-s) and use a combination of the two at FB. I like the idea of using a bigger back who can run and dual purpose them as a FB. I fele it would provide us with some versatility.

Comment

34 Receptions in his last year with Houston.

I'm guessing you can double that with Manning. Plus, having played college ball at Rice, it's guaranteed that the guy is smart.

It would also be great to not hear anymore about the Broncos taking Maxx Williams in the 1st Round. I'm sure Williams will be a fine NFL player, but it takes a TE some time to get into the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                      34 Receptions in his last year with Houston.

I'm guessing you can double that with Manning. Plus, having played college ball at Rice, it's guaranteed that the guy is smart.

It would also be great to not hear anymore about the Broncos taking Maxx Williams in the 1st Round. I'm sure Williams will be a fine NFL player, but it takes a TE some time to get into the lineup.
                      In some cases yes but not for all.

Comment

Casey would be a really solid signing IMO. I know it's still way early in the process, but I hope we get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                          Only if he can run at the speeds we see in that highlight reel still. IF that is the case then I am all for it. If not I'd rather pass and look to the draft for another TE. I like Jesse James in the mid-rounds personally. I'd also like to see us use Juwan Thompson & a 7th rounder to pick up RB KENNY HILLIARD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl3HyFaWK-s) and use a combination of the two at FB. I like the idea of using a bigger back who can run and dual purpose them as a FB. I fele it would provide us with some versatility.
                          I would absolutely love it if they picked up Hilliard, but it all gets back to the oline being able to block. If there is little to no improvement in this area, Hilliard or any other FB would get eaten alive in the backfield.

Comment

Originally posted by darryn16 View Post
                            I would absolutely love it if they picked up Hilliard, but it all gets back to the oline being able to block. If there is little to no improvement in this area, Hilliard or any other FB would get eaten alive in the backfield.
                            You get no argument from me there. even if we were to drop back into the 2nd I still see us being able to get some great O-line options who can start day 1. I see RT & Center being positions of need immediately. I am still hopeful that we re-sign Franklin. If we fill those needs then I can see us doing very well with Hilliard & Thompson as potential FB's. I also like the idea of Casey being able to fill that role as well. That could be VERY interesting. A two TE set with Green and Casey and or a two RB set with Thompson & Hillard.

Comment

Could it be he is coming in to be the FB only??? I mean this guy is versitle and could help out on special teams so would be a solid pick up...

I honestly hope he is just a utility player we are persuing and not the answer at TE or FB, would prefer a more solid FB and Green as our starting TE.
                              sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Working...
                              X