Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Analytics

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Analytics

    Here is an article about whether or not teams buy into advanced analytics. What does everyone think of the statement regarding Denver?

    The team's use of analytics remains in infancy, but executive vice president and general manager John Elway is committed to future development.

    "I'm a numbers guy," Elway told ESPN.com's Jeff Legwold last month. "I know the power they have, but we're still trying to develop a role for it. I have a lot of résumés from people who want to help us put that together, but I would say we understand it can be a tool and we're trying to develop what it will be and what it will do for us."

    As it stood when the offseason began, the Broncos tracked situational tendencies thanks to the work of Tony Lazarro, director of football information systems. But Elway acknowledged "we want to get our arms around" analytics and that "we haven't used as much of it to this point."

    Elway said he plans to send a contingent to the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference after scheduling related to the Super Bowl prevented attendance in 2014.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...-rankings#!nfl

  • #2
    The article wasn't clear on what is meant by "analytics". The team-by-team rundown referred to things which could pertain to the draft, conditioning, playcalling and defense. "Analytics" needs defining.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #3
      It seems to be general "analytics" related to all things football be it player evaluation, drafting, physical conditioning, tendencies, advanced statistical tracking, etcetera.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it's a great idea. You get a better idea of your teams', players' and coaches' tendencies and can find problems that you never saw before. It never hurts to have more information.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Analytics and statistics don't tell you the whole story.

          For instance, Profootballfocus just did an article on how JT is an above average blocker.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            Analytics and statistics don't tell you the whole story.

            For instance, Profootballfocus just did an article on how JT is an above average blocker.
            LOL

            Great for Baseball, but Football is too team oriented to isolate 1 guy on any play, a chip block is just as good as a pancake if it takes the guy out of the play, but we would all rather see the pancake PFF is a nice look at overall performance, but hardly an exact science.
            Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

            Comment


            • #7
              As far as games are concerned, is "analytics" any different from the standard analysis of formation, D & D, FP and hashmark tendencies conducted by football teams at all levels for decades?
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm always looking for more tools for my toolbox. Analytics could be a useful tool just as PFF can be a useful tool too - can't hurt.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  As far as games are concerned, is "analytics" any different from the standard analysis of formation, D & D, FP and hashmark tendencies conducted by football teams at all levels for decades?
                  Yes. A lot of it is much more situational stat keeping, primarily of stats that aren't recorded normally, and then analyzing those stats in a way that's very similar to the traditional way to determine tendencies. It's basically the same process, but with different stats and a different viewpoint which can provide a different and sometimes better look at things. Incorporating both methods would help some.

                  Like Cory said, stats and analysis don't tell you the whole thing. (Whoever wrote that story is a moron btw*). With analytics you create your own points of emphasis and record exactly what you're looking for to determine specific tendencies so you can review and make changes as needed. The writer who proclaimed JT was a good blocker should have recorded and analyzed how many times Julius missed a blocking assignment, allowed a qb pressure or tfl, got flat out blown up, committed a dumb penalty by chop blocking etc, and even providing an eye test score- how well did he look while blocking? And then incorporate that into some statistical equations and analyze the results. Baseball has been analyzed and around much longer than football. There are tons of possibilities due to lack interest in analytics for a long period of time.

                  Each team can and will create their own specific statistic and analyses tailor made to fit their systems.
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                    Yes. A lot of it is much more situational stat keeping, primarily of stats that aren't recorded normally, and then analyzing those stats in a way that's very similar to the traditional way to determine tendencies. It's basically the same process, but with different stats and a different viewpoint which can provide a different and sometimes better look at things. Incorporating both methods would help some.

                    Like Cory said, stats and analysis don't tell you the whole thing. (Whoever wrote that story is a moron btw*). With analytics you create your own points of emphasis and record exactly what you're looking for to determine specific tendencies so you can review and make changes as needed. The writer who proclaimed JT was a good blocker should have recorded and analyzed how many times Julius missed a blocking assignment, allowed a qb pressure or tfl, got flat out blown up, committed a dumb penalty by chop blocking etc, and even providing an eye test score- how well did he look while blocking? And then incorporate that into some statistical equations and analyze the results. Baseball has been analyzed and around much longer than football. There are tons of possibilities due to lack interest in analytics for a long period of time.

                    Each team can and will create their own specific statistic and analyses tailor made to fit their systems.
                    Isn't formation/personnel, D & D, FP and hash situational?
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X