Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paige: Peyton Manning deal will be done this week

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paige: Peyton Manning deal will be done this week

    http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...g-will-be-back

    The misanthropists who are curious to watch Brock Osweiler lead the Broncos to a 7-9 record and a third-place finish in the AFC West can turn their concentration to Pot Roasting.

    It is well to remember that John Elway, the very important person in charge of the Broncos, stated that Manning had until March 9 to let the franchise know The Decision. In recent meetings with Elway and team president Joe Ellis, Manning said he was physically and mentally prepared to play again at a high level.

    Manning wants to play for the Broncos. Elway has insisted consistently "we want him back," and coach Gary Kubiak has maintained, "No doubt, I want him (back)."

    Are these three unmitigated liars? No.

    Of the many ludicrous rumors that have circulated lately, the most laughable argument was that Manning — who has earned more salary than any other player in NFL history ($229 million) — is greedy and won't allow a reworking of his contract. Twice in Indianapolis, he agreed to reorganize his income so the Colts could gain salary cap relief.

  • #2
    Lol and this clown woody Paige thinks Oz isn't gonna see some serious time this year? Get over it. 7-9, what a idiot.
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by crash123go View Post
      Lol and this clown woody Paige thinks Oz isn't gonna see some serious time this year? Get over it. 7-9, what a idiot.
      Paige is a moron. He sputters out incomplete thoughts in order for his articles to get more attention. I'm really tired of the "If not Manning, who are you gonna get that is better?" excuse. THAT'S NOT THE POINT! At some point, we have to move on. The future is now. Why should we let Brock sit another year on the bench and have the possibility of him walking next year without seeing anything. At the very least, we could use this off-season and next season to let him compete with actual #1 reps.

      And as for the talk that we'll suck when Manning's gone. We were a playoff team BEFORE HIM and all 3 QB's we had on the roster that year are OUT OF THE NFL right now! Come on, people! Have more faith in our FO and coaching staff! Even if Oz doesn't pan out, we have the coaching staff and talent on the roster to still have a winning record. It's sickening to see how quickly people throw in the towel when we lose one great player.
      RESTORE THE ORANGE CRUSH!!!!
      :smash

      LONG LIVE THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mantheyman View Post
        Paige is a moron. He sputters out incomplete thoughts in order for his articles to get more attention. I'm really tired of the "If not Manning, who are you gonna get that is better?" excuse. THAT'S NOT THE POINT! At some point, we have to move on. The future is now. Why should we let Brock sit another year on the bench and have the possibility of him walking next year without seeing anything. At the very least, we could use this off-season and next season to let him compete with actual #1 reps.

        And as for the talk that we'll suck when Manning's gone. We were a playoff team BEFORE HIM and all 3 QB's we had on the roster that year are OUT OF THE NFL right now! Come on, people! Have more faith in our FO and coaching staff! Even if Oz doesn't pan out, we have the coaching staff and talent on the roster to still have a winning record. It's sickening to see how quickly people throw in the towel when we lose one great player.
        I don't see many throwing in the towel if Manning is not the QB. I see people stating the obvious. The Broncos will not be as good without Manning.

        What's sickening is people throwing in the towel IF Manning a Hall of Fame QB returns. The Broncos WILL fail with Manning is apparently a FACT.

        FWIW i'm leaning towards moving on with Brock so no bias here.

        Comment


        • #5
          I wonder if Paige and all the others can give me lotto numbers too.

          Seems to me since they already know what kind of team will be post Manning, they must have an inside track on he future.

          For me, I just don't see us having such a steep decline post Manning.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Slytherclaw View Post
            http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...g-will-be-back

            "Twice in Indianapolis, he agreed to reorganize his income so the Colts could gain salary cap relief."
            Umm, that's not the same as giving up salary. Most likely that's receiving an up front bonus that is fully guaranteed in exchange for a lower base salary. Teams do this to spread the cap hit over to later years. The total amount of the contract doesn't change, the player receives more guaranteed money. To portray this as a rebuttal to the idea of someone being greedy isn't really accurate.

            I really do wonder why this isn't being discussed as Manning just taking less money. We asked the same thing of Dumervil and if it wasn't for faxgate he would've accepted it. That wasn't a restructure, just a pay cut.
            A book I wrote

            Comment


            • #7
              Woody News
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CTM View Post
                Umm, that's not the same as giving up salary. Most likely that's receiving an up front bonus that is fully guaranteed in exchange for a lower base salary. Teams do this to spread the cap hit over to later years. The total amount of the contract doesn't change, the player receives more guaranteed money. To portray this as a rebuttal to the idea of someone being greedy isn't really accurate.

                I really do wonder why this isn't being discussed as Manning just taking less money. We asked the same thing of Dumervil and if it wasn't for faxgate he would've accepted it. That wasn't a restructure, just a pay cut.
                Well, for one thing, to ask a future HoF QB to take a straight pay cut after helping your team make the playoffs 3 years in a row (including a trip to a SB) would be a bit tacky, no matter if said QB is agreeable or not.

                As for the 'greedy' bit. The next paragraph in the article says it all:

                When Manning hit the open market in 2012, Condon envisioned a $25 million-a-year agreement, and the Tennessee Titans did offer that amount, according to the agent when he spoke at an MMQB.com symposium last year. However, after Manning chose the Broncos, he asked Condon how much Tom Brady received annually ($18 million at the time) and said, "Then, I don't want a penny more than that." However, Condon negotiated a five-year contract for $19.4 million per season, and Manning was quite upset.
                If he was greedy as so many of his detractors try to claim, don't you think he'd have jumped at the $25M per year?

                Comment


                • #9
                  You know how Florida fans were about Tebow?

                  That's Tennessee alum Woody Paige, about Manning.



                  Seriously, can't Denver get any GOOD hometown writing or on air talent? Alfred Williams is about as close as it comes and he's not the brightest crayon in the box. I feel like the Denver market suffers from bad media representation.
                  sigpic

                  Hooray, beer!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                    You know how Florida fans were about Tebow?

                    That's Tennessee alum Woody Paige, about Manning.



                    Seriously, can't Denver get any GOOD hometown writing or on air talent? Alfred Williams is about as close as it comes and he's not the brightest crayon in the box. I feel like the Denver market suffers from bad media representation.
                    Did you just say Big Al was as close as it comes?

                    Yea, our reporters blow.
                    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Slytherclaw View Post
                      Well, for one thing, to ask a future HoF QB to take a straight pay cut after helping your team make the playoffs 3 years in a row (including a trip to a SB) would be a bit tacky, no matter if said QB is agreeable or not.




                      Like Tom Brady?

                      Manning even said when he was going to sign with us he didn't want to be paid more than Brady. He ended up taking more as his agent convinced him but Brady has shown the willingness to take less money, why can't Peyton?
                      A book I wrote

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CTM View Post
                        Like Tom Brady?

                        Manning even said when he was going to sign with us he didn't want to be paid more than Brady. He ended up taking more as his agent convinced him but Brady has shown the willingness to take less money, why can't Peyton?
                        Brady restructured his contract , added more years backloading the final years and got more guaranteed money but no cut in pay, he will just be on the Pats books after he retires or is cut.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CTM View Post
                          Like Tom Brady?

                          Manning even said when he was going to sign with us he didn't want to be paid more than Brady. He ended up taking more as his agent convinced him but Brady has shown the willingness to take less money, why can't Peyton?
                          LOL You might want to look into facts before trying to make Tommy boy sound completely altruistic. Brady got $3M MORE out of that deal, not less.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Slytherclaw View Post
                            LOL You might want to look into facts before trying to make Tommy boy sound completely altruistic. Brady got $3M MORE out of that deal, not less.
                            Yeah, St. Brady isn't so saintly afterall.
                            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm not talking about his restructure he recently did, I'm talking about the fact he left a lot of money on the table when he first signed an extension in 2012. Right now his average cap hit over the next few years is 15 mil. Manning's is 22. Brady's been paid a lot less per year than an elite QB commands. What's wrong with saying Manning should be paid more in line with what Brady makes? The same argument was made when the team wanted Dumervil to take a pay cut a couple years ago.
                              A book I wrote

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X