Broncos' free-agency shopping list: Analyzing potential targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' free-agency shopping list: Analyzing potential targets

No other NFL general manager has been more aggressive in free agency the past three years than the Broncos' John Elway. Here are the players Elway might target at the Broncos' positions of need when teams can begin negotiating with players' agents Saturday:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...-agent-targets

Hudson and Newton would be logical choices if we want to fill out the O line via free agency instead of the draft.

McPhee is a great player, I catch most of the Ravens games and he's always a disruptive presence up front, but like Hudson and Newton he wouldn't come cheap.

After we take care of Franchising DT, our RFA tenders and re-signing Green and making some obvious releases, we would have about 12 mil in cap space to work with.

If DT works out a long term deal his cap hit for 2015 would drop by a few mil. If Manning restructures or takes a paycut it would also free up another few mil in cap room.

Best case scenario we would have about 18 mil to go after these targets.

Out of the entire list I think getting Hudson is probably the most likely to happen. If we make the moves I mentioned and gain some breathing room it's not too difficult to fit Hudson into the roster. He's looking for around 7 mil per year which seems about right since he is the top center on the market. Given that center is a huge area of need and there's no guarantee we'll have a shot of drafting a center ready to step in day 1 my guess is if we decide to shell out some dough it would be for Hudson.
    A book I wrote

Comment

I'd rather go after Wiz & Boling than Hudson. I think you can get both of them for what it would take to get Hudson. Wiz is a shoe-in at Center but can play LG if that's where he is needed, Boling can compete with what is on the roster at LG and possibly even RT. Both of those guys give them more options headed into the draft.

Comment

Aside from the OL listed above, I am on the Charles Clay train. I'm hoping we can sign him

Comment

Originally posted by sgriffeth78 View Post
          Aside from the OL listed above, I am on the Charles Clay train. I'm hoping we can sign him
          I would like to get him as well but I believe Miami slapped the transitional tag on him. Meaning we would have to pay at least 7.07 million for him. Miami also has the chance of matching that.

Comment

I don't think Center is going to be that high of priority. Elway and Kubiak have spoken very highly of Paradis. I expect competition/depth to be brought in but I don't see either of the top centers being brought in.

I would like to see Boling brought in and a front loaded deal for Newton just in case he busts or Schofield shows to be a better RT.
            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
              I don't think Center is going to be that high of priority. Elway and Kubiak have spoken very highly of Paradis. I expect competition/depth to be brought in but I don't see either of the top centers being brought in.

I would like to see Boling brought in and a front loaded deal for Newton just in case he busts or Schofield shows to be a better RT.
              If Paradis if the guy, great. I'd like to see them not have to spend a lot on someone. I would bring back Montgomery to compete with Paradis and be insurance for the spot. Plus I think he can play guard in a pinch.

I'm not as solid on Newton as most seen to be. He was part of a rotation at RT for the last couple years Kubes was in Houston I think and didn't have a strong season until he was with a different system/coach and was in the final year of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptAwesome View Post
                If Paradis if the guy, great. I'd like to see them not have to spend a lot on someone. I would bring back Montgomery to compete with Paradis and be insurance for the spot. Plus I think he can play guard in a pinch.

I'm not as solid on Newton as most seen to be. He was part of a rotation at RT for the last couple years Kubes was in Houston I think and didn't have a strong season until he was with a different system/coach and was in the final year of his contract.
                Bingo! I've been saying this for awhile, people seem so sold on him because he played for Kubiak before, but he wasn't very good in that system, he didn't excel until he changed to more of a power based run game. I'm also very weary about players who only excel in a contract year, that's a big red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  Bingo! I've been saying this for awhile, people seem so sold on him because he played for Kubiak before, but he wasn't very good in that system, he didn't excel until he changed to more of a power based run game. I'm also very weary about players who only excel in a contract year, that's a big red flag.
                  What about Ryan Harris? Shanny drafted him, and he has played for Kubiak in Houston
                  sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't expect a big name. Maybe a medium level contract at a position on the OL. Re-sign Virgil Green at TE and maybe some depth players like Unrein, Montgomery, and Garland. There's a chance we look to bring in a FB and/or another TE since those are heavily utilized in the Kubiak offense. Possibly some defensive depth players at positions like OLB, ILB, DE, and S. Brooks Reed could be a fit.
                    Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
                      I wouldn't expect a big name. Maybe a medium level contract at a position on the OL. Re-sign Virgil Green at TE and maybe some depth players like Unrein, Montgomery, and Garland. There's a chance we look to bring in a FB and/or another TE since those are heavily utilized in the Kubiak offense. Possibly some defensive depth players at positions like OLB, ILB, DE, and S. Brooks Reed could be a fit.

What was it GB did to help Favre win a SB? They signed Reggie White.

Let's be honest folks... Not since Reggie has such an impactful defensive player... in his prime... hit the free agent market. One of the best interior DL in the game.

Not sure how DEN subdues that urge to make that splash. Draft well, find a bunch of cheap vet deals, and make 2 gigantic splashes in free agency. On each side of the LOS... Hudson (OC) and Suh (DL).

Maybe Andre Johnson gets cut... sign him on the cheap to compete with Lattimore. Draft a FS/TE/RT/LB.

Sign a FB.

Let JT/Franklin/Moore walk.

1 player like SUH would mean more than 3 solid players... Who wouldn't trade Ware-Talib-Ward right now for SUH?

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                        What was it GB did to help Favre win a SB? They signed Reggie White.

Let's be honest folks... Not since Reggie has such an impactful defensive player... in his prime... hit the free agent market. One of the best interior DL in the game.

Not sure how DEN subdues that urge to make that splash. Draft well, find a bunch of cheap vet deals, and make 2 gigantic splashes in free agency. On each side of the LOS... Hudson (OC) and Suh (DL).

Maybe Andre Johnson gets cut... sign him on the cheap to compete with Lattimore. Draft a FS/TE/RT/LB.

Sign a FB.

Let JT/Franklin/Moore walk.

1 player like SUH would mean more than 3 solid players... Who wouldn't trade Ware-Talib-Ward right now for SUH?
                        Absolutely not gonna happen. Suh would take up all the cap space.

Comment

Good. I prefer SUH and nondescript moves re-signing 4-5 guys to plug holes. I believe there's a chance SUH signs for around 17 mil a year... He was in that last rookie class to get paid. His rookie deal paid him nearly 70 mil... He has money...

"Look at Watt's six-year deal. It came with a $10 million signing bonus and averages $16.7 million per year."

SO, you honestly believe SUH will take 5-6 mil more a year to play for JAX? NOW, if NY or OAK can convince him they are building... then they offer big market, money, and chance to win.

BUT... we know DEN can find 17 mil a year... and offer winning... I realize it's a longshot... But I would take SUH over re-signing Moore and Franklin, signing Kuhn, Andre Johnson, and Owen Daniels.

Comment

This team isn't a move away. This team needs a retooling with the new schemes coming in. We have a bunch of needs, and bringing a guy in at that position doesn't mean you filled the need. It's finding a quality guy.

Comment

Would Suh even for in a 3-4 defense?

Comment

Working...
                              X