Broncos' free-agency shopping list: Analyzing potential targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    What about Ryan Harris? Shanny drafted him, and he has played for Kubiak in Houston
    I figured Denver would spend money on 1-2 interior linemen and I think they'll sign either Polumbus or Harris to come in and compete with Schofield for the right tackle spot.

Comment

I was listening to dmac and alfred willams, and they were saying the broncos will probably only have the cap space to sign one big free agent and they said that on average rookies take about 6 mill off your cap. And they seemed to think the guy the broncos go after is the center from the chiefs.

Another article I read talked about maybe singing Eddie Royal again. Could he be a nice slot WR for us and special teams returner?
      Could Eddie Royal, 28, return to Denver?

If the Broncos want to upgrade the slot position and address their special teams, Royal is worth consideration.

Denver never found a reliable option at returner last year. Three different players returned punts over the course of the season. Isaiah Burse averaged averaged 7.3 yards on punt returns before being cut and later signed to the team's practice squad. He'll be back in 2015 (he signed a future contract), but Denver has shown they view him as expendable.

Wes Welker ended the season as Denver's punt returner, averaging 6.7 yards per return. He is a free agent and is not expected to return. Second-year receiver Cody Latimer and speedster Emmanuel Sanders are candidates to replace him in the slot on offense.

Six different Broncos returned kickoffs a year ago, with cornerback Omar Bolden being the most productive. Bolden averaged 33 yards per return and totaled 429 yards on 13 returns.

Denver has players on the roster that can return, but the position is far from solidified. Jacoby Jones and Ted Ginn Jr. are available, but they are 30 and 29 years old, respectively.

Royal is a talented slot receiver that has extensive experience as a punt returner. His return skills earned him AFC Special Teams Player of the Month recognition in 2009 and he has a career average of 10.6 yards per punt return. Royal has returned three kicks for touchdowns in his career and averaged 9.1 yards per return with the Chargers last season.

In 2014, Royal posted the best receiving numbers since his rookie season, catching 62 passes for 778 yards and seven scores. He ranked third in receptions and second in touchdowns for San Diego.

Royal was drafted by the Broncos in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played four seasons in Denver before signing with San Diego in 2012. Royal restructured his three-year deal with the Chargers last offseason and is now set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Denver should consider him in free agency.
      Poll
      Should the Broncos consider Eddie Royal?
      http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3...ion-for-denver

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
        Would Suh even for in a 3-4 defense?
        Would most likely play DE. But I think in Wades one gap system he could probably play NT too.

This doesn't mean I think it would be a good move for us by the way.
        Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

Originally posted by JesseH View Post
          I was listening to dmac and alfred willams, and they were saying the broncos will probably only have the cap space to sign one big free agent and they said that on average rookies take about 6 mill off your cap. And they seemed to think the guy the broncos go after is the center from the chiefs.

Another article I read talked about maybe singing Eddie Royal again. Could he be a nice slot WR for us and special teams returner?

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3...ion-for-denver
          Big name free agents are generally overrated, usually you're paying someone for what they did with someone else and it's a crapshoot whether they'll ever do anything close to that for you.

I'd rather Denver spend wisely on middle of the road to bargain free agents who can come in and fit valuable roles on the team but not be considered life savers for the team. The team that "wins" free agency usually ends up very very disappointed during the season.

Eddie Royal would be a good example of the type of player I'm describing I'd like, he can come in, has a very good knowledge of the offensive concepts and can play a role as a returner for the team, and he's probably gonna be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Big name free agents are generally overrated, usually you're paying someone for what they did with someone else and it's a crapshoot whether they'll ever do anything close to that for you.

I'd rather Denver spend wisely on middle of the road to bargain free agents who can come in and fit valuable roles on the team but not be considered life savers for the team. The team that "wins" free agency usually ends up very very disappointed during the season.

Eddie Royal would be a good example of the type of player I'm describing I'd like, he can come in, has a very good knowledge of the offensive concepts and can play a role as a returner for the team, and he's probably gonna be cheap.
            Funny thing is Elway wanted to re-sign Eddie, but waiting on Manning to make a decision caused us to lose him.
            sigpic

Comment

I would definitely pick up (if the price is right, as with all FA's)

Haloti Ngata when BAL cuts hIm

And C Chris Myers (3rd best run blocking C from PFF) who the Texans just cut...he'll need some help in pass pro but would help make transition to ZBS smoother on our other olineman

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                How much would a guy like Eddie Royal go for ... or maybe the better question, how much would the broncos be willing to pay him?

Comment

Newton was re-signed by Houston. I'd still be looking at a good right tackle, a center and a left guard, if I were the Broncos. Also, a safety (Mays?) and a returner (Royal, Cribbs?)

FA:
                  C - Hudson, De la Puente
                  G - Jahri Evans, Iupati
                  T - Roos? Bulaga?
                  S - Mays, Demps, Lowery
                  Ret - Cribbs, Royal

Draft:
                  C - Erving, Grasu, Finney
                  G - Tomlinson, Jackson, Shead
                  T - D. Williams, T. Sambrailo
                  S - Harris
                  Ret - Tyler Lockette (also slot)

Comment

Why does anyone want Eddie Royal back? I used to be his biggest fan but even I have come to realize he just isn't that good...

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                      Newton was re-signed by Houston. I'd still be looking at a good right tackle, a center and a left guard, if I were the Broncos. Also, a safety (Mays?) and a returner (Royal, Cribbs?)

FA:
                      C - Hudson, De la Puente
                      G - Jahri Evans, Iupati
                      T - Roos? Bulaga?
                      S - Mays, Demps, Lowery
                      Ret - Cribbs, Royal

Draft:
                      S - Harris
                      Nice list but where are you going to find the money for all that high priced talent?

Comment

Oh and Josh Cribbs would literally be a complete waste of money and a roster spot...his returns are so ugly now that he's a turtle....go watch his returns this year, you won't find one impressive one

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                          Nice list but where are you going to find the money for all that high priced talent?
                          Yep we dont have near as much money as some on here think.

Elway will have to bargain shop in FA, im good with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                            Yep we dont have near as much money as some on here think.

Elway will have to bargain shop in FA, im good with that.
                            Most think it is FF with no budget, you are correct like he did with Vasquez got a very cheap intiially OG that went from being an unknown to pro bowler in a season.

His pro scouting department will have to find some gems

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                              Most think it is FF with no budget, you are correct like he did with Vasquez got a very cheap intiially OG that went from being an unknown to pro bowler in a season.

His pro scouting department will have to find some gems
                              I'm hoping for something like they did in 2013 when they got DRC, Welker, Vazquez, Knighton and Phillips.

But with limited cap space, and more holes to fill, it will be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                                FA:
                                C - Hudson, De la Puente
                                G - Jahri Evans, Iupati
                                T - Roos? Bulaga?
                                S - Mays, Demps, Lowery
                                Ret - Cribbs, Royal

Draft:
                                S - Harris