Denver Broncos to use franchise tag on Demaryius Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos to use franchise tag on Demaryius Thomas

With some degree of uncertainty clouding Denver's quarterback situation over the near future, the team has taken the convenient route and franchised star wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

The 6-3 wideout has made the Pro Bowl each of the last three seasons, all alongside Peyton Manning, who arrived in Denver back in 2012.

Thomas' numbers with Manning under center have been other-worldly -- 469 targets, 297 receptions, 4,483 yards, 15.1 yards per reception and 35 touchdowns. He has also not missed a game since 2011.

The tag, which will come in at roughly $12.80 million is a great deal for a team that may want to rebuild next year anyway, depending on how the Manning era plays out.

For the Broncos, who are pressed tightly against the salary cap and will likely have to part ways with Pro Bowler Julius Thomas, the move will give them a year to examine the future without the pains of a long-term commitment.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...maryius-thomas
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Broncos to tag Demaryius Thomas

The Denver Broncos will place the franchise tag on wide receiver Demaryius Thomas by Monday's 4 p.m. deadline, a source told ESPN.

John Elway had said at the scouting combine that the Broncos would issue a franchise tender to Thomas if the sides could not negotiate a long-term extension. Elway has said he could see a scenario where Thomas got the franchise tag and then the two sides reached an agreement at some point after free agency begins March 10, when the contracts started to come in.

The designation will mean the Broncos' captain will get a one-year, guaranteed deal for the average of the top five salaries at his position. This year that figure will be just less than $12.8 million. The salary cap charge would be $12.797 million and the deal would be fully guaranteed the moment Thomas signs it.

When the Broncos file the paperwork to the league, it is expected Thomas will get the "non-exclusive'' franchise player tag. That means Demaryius Thomas could solicit offers from other teams and the Broncos would then have the right to match.

The Broncos would almost certainly match any offer Thomas would receive. And any team that would potentially sign Thomas would have to make a contract big enough to deter the Broncos, a tall order, and also have to send the Broncos their next two first-round picks.

Calvin Johnson has the largest contract for any wide receiver in the league, a seven-year, $113 million deal he signed in 2012 that is significantly back-loaded and includes $48.8 million in guaranteed money. Andre Johnson signed a seven-year, $67.8 million deal in 2010, while Percy Harvin signed a six-year, $64.2 million deal ($14.5 million guaranteed) in 2013 and Mike Wallace signed a five-year, $60 million deal ($30 million guaranteed) in 2013.

Demaryius and Julius Thomas are the Broncos' highest-profile free agents this year and the team had tried to negotiate with both over the past year with Demaryius Thomas, who was the first of two-first round picks by the Broncos (Tim Tebow was the other) in the 2010 draft, having been the top priority.

Since the start of the 2011 season, Demaryius Thomas, 27, is second in the NFL with 28 100-yard receiving games in the regular-season and postseason combined, including 10 100-yard games this past season, seven of those in consecutive weeks. His 226 yards in the Broncos' Oct. 5 win over the Arizona Cardinals is a franchise record for a single game and his 1,619 yards receiving this past season also set a single-season franchise record.

After a rookie season slowed by injuries -- he had suffered a fractured bone in his foot in a pre-combine workout in early 2010 -- Thomas had a 32-catch season in 2011 as the Broncos ran a read-option offense with Tebow at quarterback. But since the arrival of Peyton Manning in 2012, Demaryius Thomas has played himself into the league's elite at the position.

Thomas has had three consecutive seasons with at least 92 receptions, 1,430 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns. He is only the third player in league history to have three consecutive seasons of at least 1,400 yards receiving and at least 10 touchdowns -- Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison are the others.

This past season he was voted a team captain for the first time in his career.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...maryius-thomas
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Report: DT Tagged

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...se-tag-tracker

and

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...maryius-thomas

Per the above report DT has been tagged. This has two potentials it could play into some people's hopes that he will not be traded....or it could be what the reports are saying and that is that the Bronco's are trying to tag DT in order to get him locked up long term,

My thoughts are that DT will get locked up here in Denver long-term....what are yours?

Comment

I would love to keep DT here long-term. The issue is it sounds like he wants $15 million a year. So essentially that puts him as the 2nd highest paid WR in the NFL. Now some could argue he is deserving of that money and I am sure that he is. He brings a lot to our team and I would hate to lose that talent. At the same time though I just don't see WR as being one of the premier positions that need to be paid big bucks. If Latimer proves himself to be a very good player for us this next season then honestly after this Tagged season for DT I wouldn't mind putting that money towards another position or positions.

Comment

Hard to say. My first impression is that DT wouldn't be tagged if the Broncos wanted to lock him up long term except for one reason. That is to save money for this single season because we need every penny because of Manning's salary. If Manning retires next season that will be a lot of extra money to use on other things -like DT etc.

It's obviously going to be tricky finding a way to keep as many weapons as possible and add what we need this season. Once Manning leaves Elway will have a lot more room to maneuver.

If Manning wasn't here and the Broncos wanted DT long term, I think the deal would have been done. I'm not saying the Broncos want DT out. Just saying either could be true based on today's taggage.

This isn't a bad situation for DT or Denver. DT would rather have a longer term deal though for security. And this could be one way this decision could backfire. If DT pulls a JT in his 'contract season', it wont have been worth it for the Broncos. Just so long as DT plays hard through this year (and he's being fairly compensated) a long term deal probably be ok with me. The devil is always in the details though.

If we get to see more Latimore this season and he pans out, I would feel more comfortable about letting DT go earn his big payday somewhere else next season. Statistics have shown it's difficult for teams to win it all when they give that much money to a Wide Out. On the other hand, he's a cornerstone piece that you covet so... whatever happens next season isn't going to be an easy decision. It'll be a big hole to fill but the team could fill more wallets so - depends what Denver needs most next year. Their hand could be forced to some degree. Clearing Manning's cap space surely will go a long way though.

Grats DT!! Lets play hard this season -please!
          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Unless we get a king's ransom type offer for DT the move to tag him is really just the next step in the negotiating process.
            A book I wrote

Comment

Nice. Good choice.
              sigpic

Comment

Who is Latimore?

Comment

Originally posted by Denverl3roncos View Post
                  Who is Latimore?
                  He's our second round draft pick from last year. Well Latimer* is...
                  sigpic

Comment

Transition Tag tells me they are willing to trade him, just speculation, but it leaves the door open for Cleveland to sign him.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                      Transition Tag tells me they are willing to trade him, just speculation, but it leaves the door open for Cleveland to sign him.
                      I'm lost. Who are you talking about?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                        I'm lost. Who are you talking about?
                        "When the Broncos file the paperwork to the league, it is expected Thomas will get the "non-exclusive'' franchise player tag. That means Demaryius Thomas could solicit offers from other teams and the Broncos would then have the right to match".

This opens up the ability to sign DT to a contract we may not be able to match, for example 20MM guaranteed Salary in 2015. We may be able to match that, but would take a cap hit of 20mm this year. Not a poison pill, but close enough. The fact we are going transition over franchise is something I infer as willing to trade him.

IF Browns offer him this type of contract and we are looking at getting two first rounders back, do you see us matching?

Comment

"When the Broncos file the paperwork to the league, it is expected Thomas will get the "non-exclusive'' franchise player tag. That means Demaryius Thomas could solicit offers from other teams and the Broncos would then have the right to match".

This opens up the ability to sign DT to a contract we may not be able to match, for example 20MM guaranteed Salary in 2015. We may be able to match that, but would take a cap hit of 20mm this year. Not a poison pill, but close enough. The fact we are going transition over franchise is something I infer as willing to trade him.

IF Browns offer him this type of contract and we are looking at getting two first rounders back, do you see us matching?
                          Gotcha! You threw me off with the transition tag instead of the Franchise Tag.

No I do not see us matching. I had a dream some weeks ago that DT was a Colt......so I'm currently working on a mock that gives us the Colts 1st rd pick as well as ours.

Plus we may need a QB next year, so having the Colts 1st next year could put us in position to trade up for a QB.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                            Gotcha! You threw me off with the transition tag instead of the Franchise Tag.

No I do not see us matching. I had a dream some weeks ago that DT was a Colt......so I'm currently working on a mock that gives us the Colts 1st rd pick as well as ours.

Plus we may need a QB next year, so having the Colts 1st next year could put us in position to trade up for a QB.
                            My fault, non exclusive franchise vs exclusive...transition is something else.

Comment

I think Elway would match most offers unless it involved a team that has a top ten pick.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X