Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Kubiak: 'I'd pick Peyton Manning for any offense'

- Gary Kubiak: 'I'd pick Peyton Manning for any offense' -

"Peyton Manning needed more than a few weeks to decide if he wanted to play next season, but Denver Broncos coach Gary Kubiak believes his quarterback will arrive determined as ever for training camp.

Asked Tuesday if he was concerned about Manning needing time to weigh his future, Kubiak brushed it off as a non-issue.

"I didn't feel that way about it, you know, I just think that they were going through a process that they had agreed to go through, he and (general manager) John (Elway), as they left for the offseason," Kubiak said during the AFC coaches breakfast. "But all my conversations with him are very positive. I always felt, in my mind, like he wanted to continue, he was trying to work through some things and make sure he felt good and felt healthy, so I guess I didn't see it that way." ...

"I'd pick Peyton Manning for any offense, I mean, we're going to go do what he does best," Kubiak said. "We're not going to go roll out if that's not something that's a strength of our team. We're going to do what he does best."" ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...or-any-offense

I had to resist the temptation to throw harsh criticism on people who said PM and Kubiak will not work.

Guess for one reason or another people have not seen good coaching around here in a long time and forgot how it works

It's another reminder that Kubiak isn't hellbent on forcing his playbook down Manning's throat. Instead, the coach and future Hall of Fame passer will find a common road to running an offense that should continue to be one of the AFC's finest if Manning can return to the form he showed before his season-ending swoon.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

After dealing with Matt Schaub, Im quite sure Gary Kubiak is thrilled to have PFM behind center.
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

The previous coaching staff allowed Manning to play to his strengths and it got the Broncos to the playoffs three straight years including a Super Bowl appearance.

It seems evident that Kubiak is going to modify his offense to fit Manning's strengths, but will it be effective? We'll see. Let's not forget that Kubiak got fired during a season in which is was thought that the Texans would compete to get to the Super Bowl.

Maybe Kubiak is a better fit but to think he's a better coach than Fox is hard to support. His record as a head coach doesn't match up to Fox's. I think it's possible that Manning will benefit from an offensive minded coach who will challenge him.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Pretty much any sane person would want Peyton as there Starting QB. We have an intelligent Head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
            The previous coaching staff allowed Manning to play to his strengths and it got the Broncos to the playoffs three straight years including a Super Bowl appearance.
            I do not think the coaching staff added much more then what PM himself brought. Pretty sure the 6th OL and running allot was from the coaching staff but that was abandoned end of the season and we lost because of it. IMO the coaching staff pretty much allowed PM to be the OC and HC of the offense.

It seems evident that Kubiak is going to modify his offense to fit Manning's strengths, but will it be effective? We'll see. Let's not forget that Kubiak got fired during a season in which is was thought that the Texans would compete to get to the Super Bowl.
            Any good coach will take what their players do good, and make creative offensive designs that highlight their players strengths. Like I said I do not think Bronco fans have seen that in some time for one reason or another.

Maybe Kubiak is a better fit but to think he's a better coach than Fox is hard to support. His record as a head coach doesn't match up to Fox's. I think it's possible that Manning will benefit from an offensive minded coach who will challenge him.
            When Fox got here the only team to lose as many games as the Broncos over the recent history were Fox's Panthers in Carolina. I feel you are giving him credit that PM deserves.

IMO PM is going to wish he had a offensive mind like Kubiak to play with much sooner in his career.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              I do not think the coaching staff added much more then what PM himself brought. Pretty sure the 6th OL and running allot was from the coaching staff but that was abandoned end of the season and we lost because of it. IMO the coaching staff pretty much allowed PM to be the OC and HC of the offense.

Any good coach will take what their players do good, and make creative offensive designs that highlight their players strengths. Like I said I do not think Bronco fans have seen that in some time for one reason or another.

When Fox got here the only team to lose as many games as the Broncos over the recent history were Fox's Panthers in Carolina. I feel you are giving him credit that PM deserves.

IMO PM is going to wish he had a offensive mind like Kubiak to play with much sooner in his career.
              One way to look at a Peyton Manning offense in any one season is balance. By NFL standards, anything from 55% run/45% pass to 45% run/55% pass can be considered balanced.

Manning's last three seasons at Indy were pass heavy, less than 40% run.

The year before Manning, Denver was run heavy (56% run) under Mike McCoy. Under McCoy/Manning the following year, the Broncos were balanced (45% run). Under Gase/Manning in 2013 and 2014, Denver was pass heavy at 40% and 42% run.

Last year Baltimore's O under Kubiak was balanced (45% run) His last two seasons in Houston were more balanced: 54% run in 2011; 48% run in 2012.

It will be interesting to see what Kubiak, Dennison and Knapp come up with for Manning in 2015. Based on Kubiak's and Dennison's background and experience, one might expect balance, under center two back formations, the Zone Series and a script.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I had to resist the temptation to throw harsh criticism on people who said PM and Kubiak will not work.

Guess for one reason or another people have not seen good coaching around here in a long time and forgot how it works
                At this point we still have no clue if the two can be in sync or work out. I think it is fair to have some concerns. Despite Kubiak's comments there are some issues that will need to be worked out before we can claim a successful transition.

Both have great resumes and success by doing it their way. But do the strengths and weaknesses of both align?

I think it is fair to ask if the young unproven o-line and RBs take the pressure off Manning. If they can find a happy middle ground of pass/run ratio? Or entire parts of the Kubiak playbooks being scrapped because Manning is immobile enough to cause concern from under center let alone on any type of moving the pocket. Or Manning adjusting to not having the same control of formations and a no huddle offense that he has used to become a HoF'er.

I understand why Manning is back. I understand that Kubiak is a very good HC with a successful system. But I am not assuming it will all be wonderful and perfect. Some definite issues need to be resolved and how well those two compromise and adjust will be a key factor in the Broncos success.

Certainly going to be interesting to see this develop.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                  I think it is fair to ask if the young unproven o-line and RBs take the pressure off Manning. If they can find a happy middle ground of pass/run ratio? Or entire parts of the Kubiak playbooks being scrapped because Manning is immobile enough to cause concern from under center let alone on any type of moving the pocket. Or Manning adjusting to not having the same control of formations and a no huddle offense that he has used to become a HoF'er.Certainly going to be interesting to see this develop.
                  To my knowledge, the only non-run play in the Zone Series is Boot. IDK if it would need to be deleted for Manning. He could take Boot steps on each run play of the Zone Series and throw PAP occasionally.

The biggest concern for Manning being under Center is to avoid being stepped on by linemen, especially the Guards. Franklin stepped on him on several pulls last year. It was probably a result of lack of reps under Center.

Manning needs to open and step quickly and decisively to the meshpoint to get out of the way. It is very important with pullers. Zone steps are less of a problem since the OL isn't as deep as when pulling.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    At this point we still have no clue if the two can be in sync or work out. I think it is fair to have some concerns. Despite Kubiak's comments there are some issues that will need to be worked out before we can claim a successful transition.

Both have great resumes and success by doing it their way. But do the strengths and weaknesses of both align?

I think it is fair to ask if the young unproven o-line and RBs take the pressure off Manning. If they can find a happy middle ground of pass/run ratio? Or entire parts of the Kubiak playbooks being scrapped because Manning is immobile enough to cause concern from under center let alone on any type of moving the pocket. Or Manning adjusting to not having the same control of formations and a no huddle offense that he has used to become a HoF'er.

I understand why Manning is back. I understand that Kubiak is a very good HC with a successful system. But I am not assuming it will all be wonderful and perfect. Some definite issues need to be resolved and how well those two compromise and adjust will be a key factor in the Broncos success.

Certainly going to be interesting to see this develop.
                    I understand nothing is automatic

But people talk about PM not being able to do bootlegs like that is the only type of offense Kubiak has seen in all his years in the NFL.

Yea some coaches do what they like and force players to do what they like.

The really good coaches have seen allot and will adjust to thier players.

Before Parcells got in NE he was known as being a run first power offense type of coach. When he got Bledsoe he went to a pass happy offense and while he did not win a Super Bowl he was in the playoffs and lost to GB in the Super Bowl.

Good coaches have seen a lot of different football, and know who to contact to get information they have not seen, and adjust their game plan to their players.

Everything I have herd Kubiak, Dennison and Wade say tells me they are adjusting to all their players not just PM

Comment

Kubiak's just being nice and saying what he has to say.
                      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                      sigpic

Comment

I understand nothing is automatic

But people talk about PM not being able to do bootlegs like that is the only type of offense Kubiak has seen in all his years in the NFL.

Yea some coaches do what they like and force players to do what they like.

The really good coaches have seen allot and will adjust to thier players.

Before Parcells got in NE he was known as being a run first power offense type of coach. When he got Bledsoe he went to a pass happy offense and while he did not win a Super Bowl he was in the playoffs and lost to GB in the Super Bowl.

Good coaches have seen a lot of different football, and know who to contact to get information they have not seen, and adjust their game plan to their players.

Everything I have herd Kubiak, Dennison and Wade say tells me they are adjusting to all their players not just PM
                        I agree. I remember Plummer excelled at the bootleg plays but when we would get down and he had to pass from the pocket he would struggle. Kubiak doesnt have to use gimmick plays with Manning. Will just run the football, do some play action stuff, but when we want to pass will just pass and with a run offense that I think will be much improved defenses cannot just sit on passing routes. We also will have guys on the field like Daniels and Green who are threats in both the run game as blockers (unlike Julius), and in the passing game as receivers and blockers. Last season if we wanted to run we had to bring in an extra lineman and Green. Because Manning and Green did not have a rapport in the passing game and an offensive lineman playing the other spot Manning had 2 receivers and a check down to the running back. This made defending Manning easy, jam the receivers and send pressure up the middle.
                        sigpic

Comment

Fox bashers are ridiculous. He gets all the blame and no credit. You can't have it both ways. He allowed the offense to play to Manning's strengths.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Fox bashers are ridiculous. He gets all the blame and no credit. You can't have it both ways. He allowed the offense to play to Manning's strengths.
                            I agree Fox gets a lot of the blame and no credit.
                            I credit him with changing the culture of our team, and got a lot out of our players.
                            He Did Struggle To Make IN game adjustments and he was dependent on Manning and the passing game and Tebow and the run game to a fault.
                            Examples:
                            1. 2011 Divisional playoff game vs NE - made no adjustments from earlier match up vs NE or from the week before's wildcard game and Bellichek ate us for breakfast.
                            2. 2012 Baltimore Ravens divisional game if it wasn't for two Trindon Holiday TD's we lose that game by 14.
                            3. 2013 Superbowl - Fox got lazy and when the offense struggled early he made no adjustments he just watched us get destroyed.
                            4. 2014 We came out flat vs a team we dominated earlier in the year, Talib on Hilton? You gotta tell JDR put Harris on him.
                            No pass rush! Blitz!!!!! Manning struggling, and Anderson is averaging 4.4 yds a carry, let's throw 50 times and run 18 times with CJ?
                            Elway credited Fox but he could only get us so far. Will see what's what with Fox going to a less talented team and Kubiak coming to Denver.
                            sigpic

Comment

Like it or not, Fox will go down in history as one of he most successful coaches ever in Denver !

Comment

Working...
                              X