Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brock Osweiler to spell Peyton Manning more in 2015

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brock Osweiler to spell Peyton Manning more in 2015

    Just four quarterbacks in NFL history have started at least 10 games in a season at Peyton Manning's age of 39.

    After watching injuries turn their quarterback into a shell of his five-time MVP self down the stretch last season, the Denver Broncos plan to use backup Brock Osweiler to spell Manning more often in 2015.

    Coach Gary Kubiak disclosed Tuesday at the NFL Annual Meeting that he has held preliminary talks with Manning about decreasing his reps in meetings, practices and training camp.

    "I want to do what's best for him," Kubiak explained, via The Denver Post. "I went through the same process with John (Elway) late in his career, and it was a battle for me and Mike (Shanahan) to do some things with him."

    Manning is notorious for hogging practice reps and pleading to remain on the field, as illustrated by last year's mix-up when Osweiler thought he was entering a blowout versus the Raiders.

    For all of the handwringing over Manning's fit in Kubiak's established boot-action scheme, the head coach emphasized that the offense will have to be changed to adjust to his quarterback's skill set.

    "I'm the one who has to adjust and find out how I'm going to mesh everything together," Kubiak said. "We are going to run his offense and do what he does best, but it's going to be the Broncos' offense.
    "Obviously, I love to run the ball, and I love the play pass. I love to do those things, so there is going to be a commitment there, but there is 17 years of investment in what he's done better than anybody, and we're not going to run away from that."

    Osweiler obviously isn't a threat to the starting job, but the Broncos have to solidify their high opinion of his future prospects after coercing Manning into a 21 percent pay cut last month.

    One way to accomplish that is by increasing the backup's reps, simultaneously keeping Manning fresh for the playoffs and increasing the Broncos' chances of playoff success.
    Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...g-more-in-2015

  • #2
    If Manning gets hurt or continues his poor play from the end of the year last year then his job should definitely be in doubt.
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for posting that. It was an interesting read. 2015 will be a most interesting season.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • #4
        There are guaranteed plot points from this. At least the forums will be interesting all season.
        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
        I don't know and I don't care

        Comment


        • #5
          All I can say say about that is......finally.


          Good he doesn't need all those reps in pre season and practice....I bet this help keep his arm and strong as it can be longer .
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't understand the title. I get the article but what does "Brock Osweiler to spell Peyton Manning more in 2015 mean?" I don't get it. The phrase is also used in the article itself. What am I missing?
            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

            Comment


            • #7
              IIRC Elway only practiced half days the last year or two of his career. Not just him but allot of older vets on the team. IIRC Neal Smith was another.

              "I'm the one who has to adjust and find out how I'm going to mesh everything together," Kubiak said. "We are going to run his offense and do what he does best, but it's going to be the Broncos' offense.
              "Obviously, I love to run the ball, and I love the play pass. I love to do those things, so there is going to be a commitment there, but there is 17 years of investment in what he's done better than anybody, and we're not going to run away from that."
              Had to repeat this. I knew Kubes would be able to adjust. He is a good coach who finally has a great QB man.
              Skill + Effort = Talent. Talent + Effort = Achievement. A. Duckworth - Grit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                I don't understand the title. I get the article but what does "Brock Osweiler to spell Peyton Manning more in 2015 mean?" I don't get it. The phrase is also used in the article itself. What am I missing?
                It's obvious. Brock Osweiler is a witch who is going to cast a spell on Peyton Manning.

                Just kidding. Spell in this context is to fill in for. Osweiler will play more.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                Comment


                • #9
                  IMO if there are games to win or records to be broken I do not see PM taking the afternoon off or even part of one.

                  Unless he is hurt he will be on the field.

                  Now does that mean less reps in TC or preseason games probably since toss stats do not count.

                  But if he has made some kind of commitment to Jihn about this being his last year (which I do. It belive has happened) unless he is injured he is going to get as many records as he can and put the ones he has out of foreseeable sight.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think the article is incorrectly titled so it will get more clicks. The title leads you to believe that Brock will be playing more in 2015, but all Kubiak said was that he would receive more practice reps.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                      All I can say say about that is......finally.


                      Good he doesn't need all those reps in pre season and practice....I bet this help keep his arm and strong as it can be longer .
                      In some respects I agree with this and in MANY others I disagree. This will be a modified offense. One which Manning will have some learning curve in order to master despite his expertise. Gaining more reps and practicing with the fellow starters to develop timing and unspoken cues will be key for our success despite the offensive scheme.

                      I agree that Oz will need more reps and it will be better for us as a team if he can get on the field more to keep Manning healthy but not if it is at the expense of us winning.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        It's obvious. Brock Osweiler is a witch who is going to cast a spell on Peyton Manning.

                        Just kidding. Spell in this context is to fill in for. Osweiler will play more.
                        Never heard it used in that context before. I like your explanation better Sam. :thumb:
                        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                          In some respects I agree with this and in MANY others I disagree. This will be a modified offense. One which Manning will have some learning curve in order to master despite his expertise. Gaining more reps and practicing with the fellow starters to develop timing and unspoken cues will be key for our success despite the offensive scheme.

                          I agree that Oz will need more reps and it will be better for us as a team if he can get on the field more to keep Manning healthy but not if it is at the expense of us winning.
                          I agree with this too. This offense will be a new one for both Manning and Brock to learn. It will be important for both of them to get some reps in the off season. I don't want to see Manning stepping aside this at the expense of of us winning either, but I'm sure it won't be. I can't imagine Kubes doing that.

                          What I like from all of this however is that it sounds like Kubiak is taking charge. I've always felt that Fox yielded too much power and authority over to Manning and it wasn't a good thing in the end.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                            I agree with this too. This offense will be a new one for both Manning and Brock to learn. It will be important for both of them to get some reps in the off season. I don't want to see Manning stepping aside this at the expense of of us winning either, but I'm sure it won't be. I can't imagine Kubes doing that.

                            What I like from all of this however is that it sounds like Kubiak is taking charge. I've always felt that Fox yielded too much power and authority over to Manning and it wasn't a good thing in the end.
                            You're right. Fox is a coach that gives more power to his coordinators. I don't think Gase was a big guy to take charge, and let Manning kind of run away with the offense. I don't envision Kubiak doing the same.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              :clap:it is about time.

                              This should work good for both qb's. I hope this will include any games that may be outta hand. We will see how Manning deals if they want to put OZ in then. But this is a nice start. Go Kubes:thumb:Good to have ya back Gary

                              Just another interesting thing to watch this year. Gotta say this is one of the most interesting offeseasons I've seen in a long time. All the changes and all the things to watch for going into the season. I'm psyched.
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X