Demaryius Thomas to skip Broncos' offseason program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demaryius Thomas to skip Broncos' offseason program

Assigned the $12.823 million franchise tag early this month, Demaryius Thomas plans to treat this offseason differently.

Thomas told ESPN.com's Jeff Legwold on Monday that he will not participate in Peyton Manning's annual Duke University passing academy or join Denver Broncos teammates for the offseason program.

Boycotting offseason practices is the tactic most utilized by franchise players seeking some semblance of leverage in long-term negotiations.

Thomas has decided that the risk of injury in May or June trumps the prospect of immediately adding millions to his bank account.

"I'm getting my body right, still working through a little soreness in my Achilles," Thomas added Monday, "but I could run routes."

Although plagued by foot issues throughout his career, Thomas hasn't missed a game since Manning joined the Broncos in 2012.

Thomas will work out in Atlanta, hoping the Broncos and his camp will make progress on a new contract.

If the sides find common ground, Thomas should end collecting roughly $30 million in guarantees on a deal worth between $13 million and $15 million annually.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...season-program

Let's hope this get's resolved very soon.
    Last edited by DFence; 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM.

Paging Cody Latimer.... paging Cody Latimer; you are needed in the lobby ASAP!

plan B

Go Broncos.

Comment

DT skipping Broncos offseason program

By Scotty Payne  @Skotty_Payne on Mar 30, 2015, 12:39p

Thomas won't be in Denver this spring, or with Manning at Duke.

ESPN's Jeff Legwold spoke to wide receiver Demaryius Thomas today, and Thomas told Legwold that he will not join Manning at Duke and will be skipping the Broncos offseason workouts.

Just spoke to Demaryius Thomas -- in L.A for Call of Duty charity event ... he won't work out at Duke w/Mannjng or be at offseason program.

— Jeff Legwold (@Jeff_Legwold) March 30, 2015
      This doesn't come as a huge surprise as the Broncos and Thomas couldn't come to an agreement on a long-term deal this offseason and decided to place the Franchise Tag on him. The Broncos and Thomas have until July 15th to work on a long-term deal. If they fail to agree on one, Thomas will play the 2015 season under the Franchise Tag.

Thomas also noted that he will not be joining quarterback Peyton Manning and his fellow Broncos teammates in Duke for Manning's annual workouts. I do find it a little odd that Thomas would be skipping the Duke workouts since they're not considered a team workout.

Denver Broncos General Manager John Elway has previously said that he wants and will work towards getting a long-term deal in place with Thomas.

"We'd like him to remain a Denver Bronco, and that's one of our goals, to be able to get that done. I'm trying to get together with his agent, and hopefully we can do that. We'll continue to work diligently on trying to get something done."
      Thomas has also said that he would like something to workout between him and the Broncos.

Demaryius Thomas said he hopes new deal gets worked out -- "I want it to" -- has been working out in Atlanta.

— Jeff Legwold (@Jeff_Legwold) March 30, 2015
      In five seasons with the Denver Broncos, Thomas has totaled 351 receptions, for 5,317 yards, and 41 touchdowns. He's coming off a 2014 season where he totaled 111 receptions(career high) for 1,619 yards(career high), and 11 touchdowns.

One player who could benefit from Thomas's absence is second-year wide receiver Cody Latimer. He will be joining Manning in Duke this spring and will be getting more reps now that Thomas will be skipping these workouts.

"I feel like I’m ready, especially coming in a new offense, everybody gets a clean slate so we’re all starting from Day 1, and it’ll be exciting," he said. "I get to work with Peyton coming up soon, so he’ll be able to get me more into the offense and getting my learning curve, taking it to the next level."
      The Broncos are expecting big things from Latimer and now will be able to get a better look at him with Demaryius Thomas skipping these workouts.

Mile High Report

Comment

Please merge with Rastic, his thread looks better.

Comment

How bout that hometown discount? I bet he forgot that lol.
          :go:

Comment

Not suprised. This is the only negotiating tactic he has on a franchise tag.

As long as he is there when it counts.

Comment

Now that he is tagged...trade him.

(Cody Latimer will be an adequate replacement.)

Trade him to the Raiders.

Broncos: R1 pick 4 and LB K Mack
              Raiders: WR D Thomas and R1 pick 28

DEN R1 pick 4: DL Leonard Williams (one gapper NT)

Miller---Wolfe---Williams---Jackson---Ware
              ---------------Mack--------Marshall-------------
              Harris--------Roby------Ward-------Talib------

(I can dream, can't I?)

Plus, I prefer a stout D than a stout O.

Let the hate...begin...3...2...1...

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post

(I can dream, can't I?)

Never going to happen, but I would like the idea if we knew what we have in Latimer ... I love DT and would like to see him land a long term contract with Denver, but I do at times question his aggression.

Comment

I think he's skipping the duke practices because his body isn't right yet. Just my speculation though. He mentioned it but who knows how hurt he is.

If he's already getting almost 13 mil this year they should just sign him long term already. At most its just a 2-3 mil difference

Comment

This is annoying but understandable. If I was ELway I would be quick to give the money to guy who wanted to put the team first and put his best foot forward and put in the extra work especially with the new system coming in, but DT has to realize this may be his first and last big payday especially with Peyton retiring in the next couple of years. An Achilles or ACL tear would change his future.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMoth View Post
                      I think he's skipping the duke practices because his body isn't right yet. Just my speculation though. He mentioned it but who knows how hurt he is.

If he's already getting almost 13 mil this year they should just sign him long term already. At most its just a 2-3 mil difference
                      Right? I thought it was a difference of us offering 13 and him wanting 15 mil a year. to me its a no brainer here is 14 mil a year lets play! But its most likely a guaranteed money thing like with Julius who signed for technically 1 mil more a year but the guarantees were different.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                        Not suprised. This is the only negotiating tactic he has on a franchise tag.

As long as he is there when it counts.
                        Please refresh my memory about the ramifications of re-signing DT after 1 June.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post

(I can dream, can't I?)

Hate is a strong word, I don't necessarily love it but with DT sitting out I am a lot more open to it, Oakland would be stupid to give up Mack, we would need to throw Trevethan, and a 2nd or 3rd to pull Mack and the #4 overall. If we got it cool and then we would just need Latimer, Schofield and Paradis to have huge years and free agents Shelley Smith and Owen Daniels step in and perform.
                          All right you talked me into it lets do it!
                          sigpic

Comment

Quick, fax him an offer...
                            Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

This is the business side of football that needs to change.

Man Up. You were tagged. Its part of the NFL and process the team uses in order to keep teams respectable for a window of time.

This shows IMO (only) that DT cares about his pay check more then helping out his team and the sheriff win it all this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X