A battle royal at RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
    What good is a rotational back that cannot gain yards?
    He had a few good games last year where he gained plenty. He showed a little something last year.
    Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
      I doubt it will happen but it is possible. I think hillmans biggest enemy is probably kapri bibbs or perhaps some UDFA with speed. Hillman is not the best fit and while I dont like him very much as a runner he still has some pretty good skills. Good enough to keep on board, but I would LOVE it if hillman got beat out by bibbs, or we traded hillman (assuming bibbs or someone else can bring that smaller quicker element he has) to some team for something valuable. Not sure there is such a trade to be made, but you get my point. I feel like he is the alphonso smith of the Elway tenure.
      I'd welcome a UDFA with speed or even a draft pick with speed. As long as they can hold onto the ball and not fall down when the first whiff of contact is made. I agree with you Bibbs might have a shot with us but i don't think so. I see us going after more of a Thompson type player or a real speedster Bibbs to me is a bit to much like a middle of the pack type RB. Please don't take that as me saying he is not good it is just his mix of size and speed are more common at his position. Thompson is gritty and aggressive...I cannot see Bibbs being able to do that. Anderson is a bowling ball and makes it VERY hard ot bring him down. Ball has shown some flashes of technique and showed improvement in his rookie season. Last year was rough for Ball but he played injured.

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
      More then ever Hillman convinced me last year he can be a better contributor to a team then Sproles was to SD and NO

He just needs a coaching staff that will use his skills properly

Kubiak saw Steve Sewell who was the third down scat back type long before Faulk, Sproles and all the others so he knows how to make it happen
      Showing glimpses of being better as a third year player going into his 4th year is not what you need from a guy who was drafted as high as Hillman was.

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      What good is a rotational back that cannot gain yards?
      Hey stop being logical....

Originally posted by FrostySeamus View Post
      He had a few good games last year where he gained plenty. He showed a little something last year.
      He showed a few games where a glimmer of promise appeared but the issue is there were carries in those games where he should have never gone down. Then he had games mixed in where he was down right atrocious. I ma a bit harder on Hillman than I am on the others because he has been in the league longer. There is a certain expectation of growth or at the very least consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
        Showing glimpses of being better as a third year player going into his 4th year is not what you need from a guy who was drafted as high as Hillman was.
        I do not care where he was drafted.

Kubes does not care where he was drafted

Dennison does not care where he was drafted

If you want to then by all means go ahead and worry about it. If the coaches worried about draft status then our RB depth chart would look like 1-Ball, 2-Hillman, 3- CJ but we all know CJ is the current "starter"

All I know is if he is used like he should be used then I firmly believe he can be a better version of what Sproles was for SD and NO. IMO he finally has the coaches who know how to do it. Hillman can be a contributor to a Championship Team.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by FrostySeamus View Post
          Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
          sigpic

Comment

When Hillman came in last year, he ran like he was hungry. I remember being surprised by how well he was running. Durability, however, has also contributed to his lack of production. He's fumbled in a couple of really crucial situations, but not really a case of fumblitis imo. Durability and inconsistency are his issues imo.

CJ is the best back on the roster, no doubt about it. Good consistency and can run for power with decent speed. also shows good instincts in the hole and made some good cuts - consistently. CJ is the real deal imo and should be the starter going in.

Ball is still a question mark in my mind. Shown some flashes, but not consistent. I don't think the OL was doing anybody favors early in the season, but Ball hasn't looked very shifty to me. still an incomplete for me.

I really like Thompson also. Runs with good power and has chugged out yards consistently. granted, the sample size is small, but I like him in the rotation. I kind of hope he can fit into a FB role and contribute more often.

IMO CJ and Thompson should get the lions share of carries with Hillman working as more of an out of the backfield receiver/speed back. Ball should be in the rotation and hopefully he can bring some production.

I'm feeling pretty good about the backfield.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
              When Hillman came in last year, he ran like he was hungry.
              That's possible, considering how skinny he is.
              sigpic

Comment

I would be fine going into the season with CJ, Ball and Hillman....

I think if need be we could sign another RB at some point, but I really like these guys. I think CJ Anderson will win the job outright, but Ball at full health is no push over. Hillman makes for a very good change of pace back that could create match-up problems.

I see Joe Don Duncan not only making this roster, but being utilized with his pass catching abilities to create mismatches.....this is where I think Hillman can excell.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                  LMAO--best post of thread yet--gotta spread it
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Ha! Zing!
                    sigpic

Comment

Everyone (well some hillman lovers) say he is the one with take it to the house speed.

here are a few comparative stats.

Hillman averaged 4.0 YPC longest run is 37 yards had 6.6 YP catch had 4 TD total in 2014. 106 carries in 2014
                      Anderson " 4.7 YPC longest run 27 and has 9.5 YP catch oh BTW 10 TDs total 179 carries in 2014.

unless someone goes nuts in TC I do not see any change in starter or backups with hillman at #4

Comment

Pro football hashmarks put the ball in play from the middle of the field. Fast RBs who try to use their speed outside still need a well blocked play to do it. That won't happen often against most odd front 50/3-4 defenses. NFL defenders have the speed to spill run plays to the sideline unless they are blocked. Ball carriers who are effective between the tackles seem more valuable.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          I do not care where he was drafted.

Kubes does not care where he was drafted

Dennison does not care where he was drafted

If you want to then by all means go ahead and worry about it. If the coaches worried about draft status then our RB depth chart would look like 1-Ball, 2-Hillman, 3- CJ but we all know CJ is the current "starter"

All I know is if he is used like he should be used then I firmly believe he can be a better version of what Sproles was for SD and NO. IMO he finally has the coaches who know how to do it. Hillman can be a contributor to a Championship Team.
                          Draft position was only mentioned because there were other players available and we selected him instead of others...I digress.

Let's factor out his draft position.

going into his 4th season last season and the season before I would expect his numbers to have been WAY better than they were. You need only go back to the games where he tried to break round the corners and was leveled on first contact to know that he is not the talent you're hoping he is or will turn out to be. Let's not take my critiques of Hillman's on field play and turn it personal either. By all accounts I actually like the guy. He seems to be exactly the type of player you'd want on a roster when spoken to. We have a limited number of roster spots and we need the best players at their respective positions. Thompson is a better RB than Hillman. So as far as a depth chart should go 1. CJ 2. Thompson 3. Ball 4. Hillman. Keep in mind the goal is to build a grittier team here as well. Ball while he did not play well last season he did show progression in the latter half of his rookie year. He has only 1 appendix to rupture and thankfully he has had a successful surgery to remove it. I think it is far more realistic that we will end up with an eventual depth chart of 1. CJ 2. Ball 3. Thompson 4. <2015 Drafted RB> or swap Ball and Thompson if Thompson progresses faster than expected.

Comment

Working...
                          X