Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Sign TE/FB James Casey

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-james-casey/
    Under coach Gary Kubiak, the Broncos plan to bring back the fullback. They’ll do that at least in part by reuniting Kubiak with James Casey.

The Broncos have announced that Casey has signed a one-year contract.

A fifth-round pick of the Texans in 2009, Casey spent four years in Houston and the last two in Philadelphia.

Casey is the second former Texans tight end Kubiak has brought to Denver; Owen Daniels signed earlier in free agent.

The addition of Casey won’t count toward Denver’s compensatory draft-pick formula for 2016, given that he was released by the Eagles in February.
    I really like the move. Great locker room guy, knows the basics of the offense, versatile contributor. Don't think it bodes too well for Joe Don Duncan's chances at making the 53 though.

All aboard CJ2K hype train
    Denver Broncos GM
    Originally posted by Mosk
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-james-casey/

I really like the move. Great locker room guy, knows the basics of the offense, versatile contributor. Don't think it bodes too well for Joe Don Duncan's chances at making the 53 though.
      I think Joe Don Duncan was brought in to compete at fullback only so I think he still has the same slight chance of making the team as he did when we signed him to begin with.
      sigpic

2015 Adopted Bronco Von MIller
      UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 58 broncomaniac View Post
        I think Joe Don Duncan was brought in to compete at fullback only so I think he still has the same slight chance of making the team as he did when we signed him to begin with.
        Most Denver sources are saying that Casey has been brought in to primarily play fullback.

Comment

If I have counted correctly, the Broncos now have 76 players on their roster. After the draft, they will only have room for four UDFAs unless they release a player or two or several before the draft. It seems that Casey's signing may have exhausted available funds for FAs for the moment.

If Casey and Duncan are being projected primarily at FB/H-Back, Denver will probably need another FB either in the draft or as an UDFA to fill out that position for preseason practice.

I like having Casey and Duncan in the backfield; they also provide depth at TE just as Virgil Green has sometimes lined up in the backfield.

If Kubiak plans on using a lot of formations with 21 and 12 personnel, there will need to be depth at the TE and FB/H-Back positions.

I will be surprised if the Broncos don't use one of their draft choices on a TE.

I expected Denver to sign Casey back when he first visited. I guess there were other priorities. I'm glad they had the cap space to fit him in at a position of need. I like this signing.
          Last edited by samparnell; 04-11-2015, 10:13 AM. Reason: eliminate redundancy
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Since there has not been any practices yet I don't think this signing means much about the outlook for Duncan. Duncan has a slim chance of making the final roster whether they signed Casey or not, Casey brings more competition to the FB/TE positions. If they had been practicing and then they signed Casey it would be more of an indication that they are not confident in Duncan's abilities. Duncan was/is likely a PS guy at best anyway ... but you never know.

sigpic

Comment

Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 8m8 minutes ago
              In last three yrs, TE James Casey is only player in NFL w/900+ plays on special teams and off/def. Has 928 off plays, 950 spec tms plays.
              Very cool stat. Casey at a minimum saves us one roster spot.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                If I have counted correctly, the Broncos now have 76 players on their roster. After the draft, they will only have room for four UDFAs unless they release a player or two or several before the draft. It seems that Casey's signing may have exhausted available funds for FAs for the moment.

If Casey and Duncan are being projected primarily at FB/H-Back, Denver will probably need another FB either in the draft or as an UDFA to fill out that position for preseason practice.

I like having Casey and Duncan in the backfield; they also provide depth at TE just as Virgil Green has sometimes lined up in the backfield.

If Kubiak plans on using a lot of formations with 21 and 12 personnel, there will need to be depth at the TE and FB/H-Back positions.

I will be surprised if the Broncos don't use one of their draft choices on a TE.

I expected Denver to sign Casey back when he first visited. I guess there were other priorities. I'm glad they were had the cap space to fit him in at a position of need. I like this signing.
                I love the signing. It will certainly be interesting to see if our streak of undrafted players making the 53 man roster will continue this season. Very few spots up for grabs. Although we may have lost some talent with Franklin and Thomas walking, I think there is little doubt we are a deeper team at this point than we were last year. Crazy to think about considering we are still a few weeks away from the draft.

Comment

I love the signing. It will certainly be interesting to see if our streak of undrafted players making the 53 man roster will continue this season. Very few spots up for grabs. Although we may have lost some talent with Franklin and Thomas walking, I think there is little doubt we are a deeper team at this point than we were last year. Crazy to think about considering we are still a few weeks away from the draft.
                  There are probably more practice sessions during TC than during the whole season. It takes the best effort from the best available players in well-planned practices to accomplish the most.

The ten draft picks will help to round out the group headed to TC. I like the acquisitions and depth, too. About the only area that still needs many additions is the O-Line. That will probably be addressed in the draft.
                  Last edited by samparnell; 04-11-2015, 10:21 AM. Reason: format
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Good depth signing, still think they draft a guy though.

Daniels/Casey are possible one-year stop gaps.

Comment

We are a little deeper, without a doubt, not more talented than last year.

Interesting to see what the draft has in store.

They have alot better depth at TE than last year.

Comment

Another solid, 'guy who knows the system' type of signing.

Comment

James Casey signed - 1 year

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...te-james-casey

Great signing. Fills multiple needs. Not sure what the money is but we've added to our special teams and found more versatility at fb and te. Contract is off the books after this year so we can focus on re-signing our high priority FAs.
                          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                          sigpic

Comment

Excellent news.We certainly have been very astute this off season getting players without selling the house for them.

Comment

Another signing that takes Maxx Williams off the board. I was still holding out hope we would sign him, but the outlook is very bleed now.

Bring on Clemmings, Humphries, Goldman, or Erving. I still think Byron Jones or Erik Armstead are dark horses for 28.
                              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Working...
                              X