Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    A couple of things:

You are correct in saying that there is a cap savings of $770,000 if Hillman were to be cut. However, as only 51 players count against the cap, the next highest salary would jump into that 51 (currently would be $510,000). So in reality, our cap savings would only be $260,000. I don't see the benefit in cutting a young player to save $260,000.

You mention Hillman's size at 195 pounds. Hillman played at 205 pounds last year. I don't have a problem with that size for a guy that isn't getting a ton of carries.

There's a big difference between being a star player and belonging on a 53 man roster. It seems to me that because Hillman has not become a Darren Sproles or Jamaal Charles type back, that he should be cut outright.

You mention that his career YPC is "just okay." You mention that his "take it to the house" speed is highly overrated. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is how that translates to not even belonging on the roster. Especially when there's virtually no cap savings by cutting him.

I'm just not a fan of cutting young players because they aren't All-Pro after a couple of seasons.
    But would you be a fan of upgrading the roster spot? To replace a player that you acknowledge is "just ok" with a player that can provide more to the team?

My biggest issue with Hillman is he is limited in his contributions. He is a backup RB. Limited touches because he is limited in his skillset. I know I keep harping on it but it bothers me that he plays no special teams. IMO that is a backup players biggest way to impact a team until he gets his chance to play.

I find it funny that if this was a backup LB, DB or TE that was accepted as "just ok" and did not play STs there would not be a question of possibly replacing him in the draft. It would be embraced in fact. Hillman is replaceable. Use one of the picks on a player like Johnson or Coleman. Not as enthusiastic about Coleman, but either would be able to do everything Hillman does and more!

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
      But would you be a fan of upgrading the roster spot? To replace a player that you acknowledge is "just ok" with a player that can provide more to the team?

My biggest issue with Hillman is he is limited in his contributions. He is a backup RB. Limited touches because he is limited in his skillset. I know I keep harping on it but it bothers me that he plays no special teams. IMO that is a backup players biggest way to impact a team until he gets his chance to play.

I find it funny that if this was a backup LB, DB or TE that was accepted as "just ok" and did not play STs there would not be a question of possibly replacing him in the draft. It would be embraced in fact. Hillman is replaceable. Use one of the picks on a player like Johnson or Coleman. Not as enthusiastic about Coleman, but either would be able to do everything Hillman does and more!
      I don't think we need to address the position in the draft. I'd rather spend those picks on other areas where improvement can help the team. IMO we have a pretty good 1-2-3 with CJ, Ball, and Hillman.

Personally, I think Hillman is more than "just ok." I think he's a young player that his worked on several areas that he struggled with in his first two years.

With drafting those backs that you mentioned, you don't know that they'll be any better than Hillman. Are they going to be good in pass protection? Are they going to be able to pick up the playbook fast enough? Are they going to be able to shine at a position where we already have several talented players already?

I think it's easy to look at the potential in draft picks and expect them to live up to them immediately, but doing so isn't wise. To me, we have 4 backs that have proven to be pretty good. That's the only position on the team in which you can say that. So I'd rather address our depth at weaker positions (OL, LB, Safety). If at the end of the draft, we see a speedster that is sticking around (Corey Grant from Auburn, maybe), I'm all for adding him as competition. But I wouldn't use a high or middle round pick just to replace a 3rd string player.

Comment

Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
        I don't think we need to address the position in the draft. I'd rather spend those picks on other areas where improvement can help the team. IMO we have a pretty good 1-2-3 with CJ, Ball, and Hillman.
        Don't forget Juwan Thompson. Denver is six deep at RB right now. If Casey and Duncan are FB/H-Backs, they are two deep at that spot.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

For me Ball is a big question mark and has to prove something this season. but lets just say he lives up to what Elway hoped when they spent a pick on him......

although I'm not a Hillman fan I'm not sure on the logic of spending a round 2-3 pick on a 3rd choice back who will be behind CJ and Ball and barring injury will get limited touches, and after round 3 I don't see any speedy impact COP RB's worth getting.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
            For me Ball is a big question mark and has to prove something this season. but lets just say he lives up to what Elway hoped when they spent a pick on him......

although I'm not a Hillman fan I'm not sure on the logic of spending a round 2-3 pick on a 3rd choice back who will be behind CJ and Ball and barring injury will get limited touches, and after round 3 I don't see any speedy impact COP RB's worth getting.
            Yeah I don't want to take a back before the 4th round either. I'd be perfectly content going into the season with Anderson/Ball/Hillman/Thompson as our stable of RB's. Wouldn't rule out a guy like Kapri Bibbs either. However, given our surplus of day three draft picks and Kubiak's history with late round RB's, I think it is highly likely we draft a back at some point between rounds 4 and 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
              Yeah I don't want to take a back before the 4th round either. I'd be perfectly content going into the season with Anderson/Ball/Hillman/Thompson as our stable of RB's. Wouldn't rule out a guy like Kapri Bibbs either. However, given our surplus of day three draft picks and Kubiak's history with late round RB's, I think it is highly likely we draft a back at some point between rounds 4 and 7.
              i don't think tey take a RB at all, besides UDFA. I think a FB is possible though.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                i don't think tey take a RB at all, besides UDFA. I think a FB is possible though.
                I was going to say Kubiak's draft history would say otherwise, but it turns out he only drafted three running backs in his eight drafts in Houston. Was pretty surprised by that stat. Obviously he found an undrafted stud in Foster, but still...

Perhaps you are right, but with the amount of day three draft picks we have I wouldn't rule it out in a BPA situation.
                Last edited by Den615; 04-16-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X