Brock Osweiler "burning" to show what he can do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brock Osweiler "burning" to show what he can do

I like everything that Brock is saying and doing. Even if he is not with the Broncos when Manning retires, I hope he catches on with another club and has a successful career.

Brock Osweiler found out during his Caribbean honeymoon in Saint Lucia that Peyton Manning was returning this season. Osweiler purposefully remained out of the loop for two months, preparing for his Feb. 28 wedding and leaving the TV tuned to the Golf Channel.

The news created clarity, leaving the former Arizona State star with singular focus and motivation entering the final year of his rookie contract.

"It's nothing easy, and nothing directly prepares you for it. My coordinator in college once told me, 'Only worry about the things you can control.' I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to be the starter for this team, but at the same time it wasn't up to me. Right now Peyton is our starter. That is great," Osweiler said Tuesday. "I can only control how much I know the playbook, how I practice. I want to try to give Coach (Gary) Kubiak and (general manager) John Elway the best product that they've seen from me in four years. I am very confident that this August, they will see the product that John drafted, they will see what he was hoping I would turn into. I want to walk away from the preseason with no regrets."

Not long after he married wife Erin, Osweiler became restless in Phoenix. The 6-foot-8-inch, 240-pound quarterback couldn't wait to work out. Conversations with Kubiak and Elway left him encouraged about his future, about his fit in an offense that suits his skill set better and mirrors many of the "beliefs and philosophies" he learned in college. Osweiler and Erin packed up and returned to Denver in early March, allowing Brock to train with the Broncos' strength staff and fire passes to any and all receivers at Kent Denver High School.

"We had a wonderful time on our honeymoon. But when we got back, I couldn't sit still. I had a fire burning inside of me that I haven't had in the past three years here," said Osweiler, who completed 4-of-10 passes for 52 yards and his first touchdown last season. "Coach (Scott) Yates was kind enough to let me work out at the school. And whoever was in town, I was getting them there to throw to them."

Osweiler has reached a critical juncture of his career. The Broncos haven't discussed a contract extension.

"No one has approached me, but it's nothing to worry about," he said.

He has yet to start a game. After the season, Elway told Osweiler to remain positive, that he was "thrilled with his progress and to "put his nose to the grindstone."

How the Broncos view Osweiler could crystallize this week. The Broncos are expected to take a quarterback in the draft. How high could be telling. More comfortable than ever in his own skin, Osweiler remains focused on improving, not external factors.

"I have spent morning, afternoon, night, seven days a week, just pounding the playbook into my brain," Osweiler said. " The more I get into it, the more I love it. (Tuesday) was the first time we could do some things on the field and it was different. I really think I am going to fit well in this system.

"Shoot, draft a guy in the first round, the seventh round, I don't care. If you are going to be a starter in the NFL or a major-college program, you are going to have to beat out other great quarterbacks. When there's pressure, I believe people will break under it or a diamond will be created. Competition brings out the best. If I am ever the starter of the Denver Broncos, I want it to be because I earned it."
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...what-he-can-do
    sigpic

Defense wins championships

Love his attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Hmmm. I liiiiiike the guy
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

He's gonna be a freaking stud.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
          He's gonna be a freaking stud.

Hopefully we can keep him.

Comment

Certainly saying all the right things. I think we will take a QB fairly early and that will be a good thing for Brock. As of yet he's basically been gift-wrapped the #2 QB spot for the past few seasons and it might be beneficial to put legitimate competition behind him. If competing against someone derails his development then he probably shouldn't be the starter anyway. It sounds like he gets that and is ready to come into his own if called upon. Remember, this is also a contract year for him, so if he wants to stay here and get a nice pay raise he'll want to up his game regardless of the situation around him.
            A book I wrote

Comment

I hope he beats out Manning...

Comment

Gosh.. If we let him walk for whatever reason and he's even relatively successful... I don't think I'll be able to handle it

Comment

He's awful.

Comment

I've said all along that I love his attitude and I love his tangibles. Unfortunately, we have to wait and see if he can play consistently at the NFL level. He's neither a guaranteed bust or success at this point. We'll see, but I have high hopes for the kid.
                    sigpic

Comment

In my opinion, if he's going to be a successful NFL QB, it would have to be this year or next. He's not going to be able to step in and play at an all-pro level if he's going to have spent the prior 3-4 years on the bench. Not having the in game experience is going to hurt overall.

Our QB of the future wont be Osweiler (in my opinion) mostly due to all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                        Gosh.. If we let him walk for whatever reason and he's even relatively successful... I don't think I'll be able to handle it
                        Same here. I like Garrett Grayson in this draft, but Brock is still far and away my first choice to takeover for Manning. I still expect us to draft a QB as the Broncos are pretty clearly ready to upgrade on Dysert.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                          In my opinion, if he's going to be a successful NFL QB, it would have to be this year or next. He's not going to be able to step in and play at an all-pro level if he's going to have spent the prior 3-4 years on the bench. Not having the in game experience is going to hurt overall.

Our QB of the future wont be Osweiler (in my opinion) mostly due to all of that.
                          I am curious about your statement. Why would you expect him to play at an All-Pro level? Would any rookie or young QB be expected to do so? Luck broke multiple rookie passing records and I don't think he was named to the All-Pro team.

If Osweiller took over today and had the full off-season for the coaches to maximize the system to his strengths and weaknesses and he had all the camps to prepare I still would not expect him to play at an All-Pro Level.

But I would expect him to be competent and efficient. To make plays instead of mistakes. To have a solid QBR and a good TD/Int ratio. Certainly agree he will need to have meaningful game experience to see exactly what he can add to the team. He only gets that when Manning is gone or he signs with another team.

IMO fans and media having too high of expectations is what will kill his career. Not his play on it.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                            I hope he beats out Manning...
                            Not gonna happen...Unless Manning comes out completely and totally flat the starting job is his this season.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by youmind View Post
                              He's awful.
                              There isn't an adaquate sample to go off of to make this statement. We don't know if he sucks or is great...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X