Brandon Marshall injury update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrostySeamus View Post
    What I heard was that Marshalls injury was to his right foot, but is not a lisfranc issue. That is as specific as I've seen the injury reported. Doesn't mean that wasn't a flat out lie, but that's what I read.
    This makes it pretty clear.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7592/

As I said, I'll be shocked if we see a player like Marshall, who relies on his blazing speed, anywhere near the field at the start of TC. Hope I'm wrong. I think the Broncos understand that when a player like Marshall has an injury like this, you move on with the assumption that you may never see him on the field again. And then, if he does recover, it's all gravy.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
    Last edited by gtown53; 05-11-2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post

As I said, I'll be shocked if we see a player like Marshall, who relies on his blazing speed, anywhere near the field at the start of TC. Hope I'm wrong. I think the Broncos understand that when a player like Marshall has an injury like this, you move on with the assumption that you may never see him on the field again. And then, if he does recover, it's all gravy.

Wow, that sounds pretty serious. I hope he doesn't take the route that Champ, unfortunately, did by pushing too hard to come back and reaggravating the injury or even making it worse.
      Last edited by Rastic; 05-11-2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Sadly I've already written him off... I've seen a grand total of one player come back at a meaningful level after a lis franc and that was stokes. Generally you aren't going the same player you were before the injury.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by olgrouch View Post
          I've heard stories about players making full recoveries from a Lis Franc injury, as far as I know they're all bunk.
          This is the reason I wanted us to draft an OT instead of oc/og first. I thought it might be a more immediate need.
          This is just speculation on my part , but it seems as though the number of these injuries has sky rocketed since teams and players adopted these newer soft shoes instead of using the old leather shoe from 15 or 20 years ago.

As for your comments about the NT position and its importance in a 3/4 D, totally agree! SamP made a comment in a thread over in the Draft forum about Kilgo and his ability when his team played the hawkeye's. We might be better off than we thought.
          Stokley is the only one that comes to mind for me...It's really rare for a player to fully recover after this type of injury. I'm hoping for the best, but neither Clady or Marshall may be the same again.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by olgrouch View Post
            I've heard stories about players making full recoveries from a Lis Franc injury, as far as I know they're all bunk.
            This is the reason I wanted us to draft an OT instead of oc/og first. I thought it might be a more immediate need.
            This is just speculation on my part , but it seems as though the number of these injuries has sky rocketed since teams and players adopted these newer soft shoes instead of using the old leather shoe from 15 or 20 years ago.

As for your comments about the NT position and its importance in a 3/4 D, totally agree! SamP made a comment in a thread over in the Draft forum about Kilgo and his ability when his team played the hawkeye's. We might be better off than we thought.
            think more of those that recover from it are the smaller lighter guys. IMO it is likely to take a year or more off the foot or at least zero stress on it) not cutting or pushing sleds etc.

Even though he said he was 100% last year I think we can all say after watching him he was not his pro bowl self.
            once again he has proclaimed to be 100% I'll believe it when I see it.

I have advocated for over a decade to consistently using top picks for OL. Even if it is after #25 you can often get a top two pick at OG or OC. OT's go fast once the run starts on them so you have to settle for a second tier OT, which IMO is good enough IF everyone on the OL is at least a second tier guy.

In order to cover the inevitable UFA loss of playoff team players, I can see that you have to dedicate at least first round picks for the OL or DL 3 out of 5 years, forever.

Considering you have 8 starters and another 3 rotational backups on DL that is 11 players your constantly having to replace as rookie contracts go away unless you are able to resign half of them. even so that is 5-6 guys over a ten year period. Then we also have some depth for the OL, we simply can not have cornics, clarks, rameriezs down the line as our backups. for a game or 2 but after that got to be a starter grade guy.

you might be able to draft some second rounders for those spots building them up to NFL level players as long as they are not called on to early.

Pus with this you have youth and lots of players on rookie contracts which allow you to afford more skilled players.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              Stokley is the only one that comes to mind for me...It's really rare for a player to fully recover after this type of injury. I'm hoping for the best, but neither Clady or Marshall may be the same again.
              Matt schaub did better the immediate year after as did brian Westbrook and ronnie brown. Brian Dawkins had one in 2003. Dwight freeney had his in 07 and put up 35 sacks in the next 3 seasons. Robert ferguson had one in 06 and nearly matched his career highs a year later, granted he wasn't a big time player. It isn't impossible to come back from.

People are saying clady was terrible last year, but according too pff he went from -6.5 in the first 10 games to +1.3 in the last 6. His foot was bothering him but it mainly effected his run blocking where he saw career lows. He was ranked as the 19th left tackle this past season but that's with a -4.2 in run blocking while playing injured all season. He has said he feels better than ever, I think he will be fine.

Comment

Anybody remember a running back we Drafted, Ryan Torain? I think Shanahan drafted Torain who had injured his foot in college (wasn't it Arizona State?). If I remember correctly, he immediately broke his arm, and missed his rookie year. But I think he went on to run for a little under a thousand yards when Shanahan picked him up in Washington. But then, he was soon out of the league.

But I vaguely remember that they were talking about some new surgery that Torain underwent that allowed a player to recover more quickly. If you Google "Lisfranc" xrays on the internet, you'll quickly understand how problematic those injuries can be. They usually involve a hardware store.

https://fractralfoot.files.wordpress...view-small.jpg

Ouch!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine going forward with any more than gratitude that you can still walk?

Comment

Ouch!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine going forward with any more than gratitude that you can still walk?
                  Looks like standard hardware from a screen door repair kit.

Comment

Anybody remember a running back we Drafted, Ryan Torain? I think Shanahan drafted Torain who had injured his foot in college (wasn't it Arizona State?). If I remember correctly, he immediately broke his arm, and missed his rookie year. But I think he went on to run for a little under a thousand yards when Shanahan picked him up in Washington. But then, he was soon out of the league.

But I vaguely remember that they were talking about some new surgery that Torain underwent that allowed a player to recover more quickly. If you Google "Lisfranc" xrays on the internet, you'll quickly understand how problematic those injuries can be. They usually involve a hardware store.

Pretty sure that is just installed until the bone heals then it is removed.

But then I could be wrong on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                      Pretty sure that is just installed until the bone heals then it is removed.

But then I could be wrong on that.
                      Marshall said in his interview that the hardware was going to be in his foot the entire season. Then he said it could be taken out.
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                        Marshall said in his interview that the hardware was going to be in his foot the entire season. Then he said it could be taken out.
                        Thanks for the info

Comment

Last year articles were saying Barrow would be a good potential MLB after a year in the NFL.

Maybe Barrow can step up at ILB and allow Marshall some time to rest and play a lesser role.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                          X