X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen elected to the team's Ring of Fame

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...team-ring-fame

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen elected to the team's Ring of Fame

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who stepped away from the team's day-to-day operations last year as he battles Alzheimer's disease, was elected Wednesday to the team's Ring of Fame.

The ceremony will be at halftime of the Broncos' Nov. 1 game against the Green Bay Packers in Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Bowlen, known as "Mr. B" to many in the organization, has been the Broncos' owner since 1984.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen formally stepped away from the team's day-to-day operations last summer as he battles Alzheimer's disease. Craig F. Walker/The Denver Post/Getty Images
    The Broncos have won 319 games overall -- 301 in the regular season -- and have had 19 winning seasons, 17 playoff appearances and two Super Bowl wins in Bowlen's tenure. Since 1984, the Broncos have been to six Super Bowls overall -- they had back-to-back title game wins to close out the 1997 and 1998 seasons -- and have had just five losing seasons.

"It's very humbling for my family to see Pat receive this honor for everything he has meant to the Broncos during his 32 years as owner," said Bowlen's wife, Annabel, in a statement. "Pat created the Ring of Fame when he first became owner as a way to pay tribute to this team's all-time greats. It's fitting that he will now stand alongside these amazing Broncos who have had such an outstanding and lasting impact on this franchise. Pat's contributions to the Broncos and the National Football League are the result of his competiveness, humility and generosity. From day one, Pat has kept an intense focus on winning and doing things the right way while always viewing himself as a steward of a team that ultimately belongs to the fans.''

Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway often talks of maintaining the "standard Pat Bowlen set," and Broncos CEO Joe Ellis often repeats the belief "we want to conduct ourselves the way Pat Bowlen would expect us to conduct ourselves."

Bowlen, 71, formally stepped away from the team's day-to-day operations last summer when the team announced Ellis would have final say on all team matters. At the time, Ellis called it "a day of tremendous sadness."

Team officials and some players, including quarterback Peyton Manning, have visited Bowlen in recent months. The team's ownership is currently held in a trust Bowlen set up more than a decade ago in hopes one of his seven children would one day run the organization.

Bowlen is the 28th member of the Broncos organization to be elected into the team's Ring of Fame, The team's selection committee held its annual meeting Wednesday morning in a conference room at the Broncos' suburban Denver complex.

Gratz to Mr B!! Well deserved!

5 losing seasons since Mr B took over 30+ years ago

Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I'm sure that was one of the fastest votes they've ever had.

Congrats to Mr. Bowlen, his family, and the Broncos organization.
      Last edited by Rastic; 05-13-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Very impressive.

I hope Pats health holds up so he can live in the moment for the day

Comment

Well earned but sad for the reason it finally came about.
          sigpic

Comment

Congratulations Mr. Bowlen. You are the best owner in sports and I'm proud to have you as the owner of my team.
            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Love it. Ellis said when he talked to Bowlen earlier today and told him the news, his response was "why the hell would you guys do that?" Awesome.
              Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

So many cool things Mr B has done that wasn't listed...

1) The "4 words, this one's for John" speech...
                2) Next years, "This one's for the fans" speech...
                3) Prowling the sidelines rallying the troops during "The Drive" in '86...

I became a Bronco fan in '84 so Mr B's tenure of winning and class is all I've known...
                "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

My six degrees of separation from him....

At our local hardware store there is an older guy I have know superficially for 10 years now. We talk football and he is a Raiders fan. We got talking last year and in his youth he was a a golf Pro and knew Bowlen pretty well back in the day. He has some funny stories and speaks very well of him. I gave him the "pics or it didn't happen" line turns out... he has them.

Kinda of a neat little story for a guy to have working in a small town hardware store.

to Mr. B
                  sigpic

Comment

Well deserved.

Pat Bowlen is one of the classiest owners in all of the major sports. He has always given to the franchise whatever he could to win a championship.

Next should be the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I look forward to the day John Elway or Joe Ellis hoists the Lombardi and says "This one's for Pat!!!"
                    sigpic

Comment

I always remember him at the Cleveland game in that fur coat saying " Come on Johnny Boy" or something to that effect. I have all the respect in the world for that Man!
                      I wish we could have Beat The Seahawks for him.

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                        I always remember him at the Cleveland game in that fur coat saying " Come on Johnny Boy" or something to that effect. I have all the respect in the world for that Man!
                        I wish we could have Beat The Seahawks for him.

I remember that the 1st play of "The Drive" was a swing pass to Sammy Winder for 3 or 4 yards. The camera shows Mr B yelling something like, "Allright Sammy Baby". Either way, it was the first time I ever saw an owner on the sidelines during a game. Lot's of owners check out the field before the game, but I'd never seen one down there in the heat of battle during the game :thumb:
                        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

IMO Mr. B, THE BEST OWNER EVEEEEER!!!! CONGRATS MR. B. You deserve it. You have meant so much to this franchise and myself. You brought us our 2 championships. You have kept us relevant. You have been and extremely classy owner and our/your team has reflected that. Wouldn't trade you. Thanks Mr. B. To you
                          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Pat Bowlen is the best.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Congratulations Pat Bowlen. Without Pat this organization would not be where it is today. His dedication to winning and letting his personnel do their jobs speaks volumes to the kind of owner you want running your team.
                              sigpic
                              Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                              2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                              2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Working...
                              X