Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumor: Manning almost traded to Houston

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    I'm thinking the Kubiak/Dennison/Knapp/Manning offense will be more planned out and tightly controlled than the Gase/Manning O which was kind of grab-bag at times.
    Absolutely agree with you. It will likely be controlled and balanced towards the run if at all possible.

    Exactly the opposite of what Manning has had a HoF career doing. He basically mastered a pass oriented no huddle offense where he had full control to adjust the formations and call any play he wanted according to the defense.

    I think it is fair to have concerns that he either has problems adjusting to an offense so different then what he has run for 18 years or that they are minimizing his main strengths. Essentially making him an average WCO QB. Not the Manning that adjusts at the line and out thinks a defense not wows them with his physical skills. If this team follows the plan we are being told to expect, Manning will not asked to do many of the things he has been successful doing over his career.

    As for Osweiller. I do not expect him to be a play like a HoF er. I expect mistakes. But in a "planned out, tightly controlled offense he can compete. With a first class defense and an effective run game he can compete. IMO the Broncos could still win 10-11 games with Osweiller. Contend for the AFC West and have a shot in a playoff game. Is that really any different then what they face with Manning?

    I must be one of those crazy fans that thinks he can do the job if prepared. He may not be Manning, but is Manning even "Manning" anymore?

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by crash123go View Post
      To your point though, no one "worth a damn" has denied the rumor either, or supplied an answer to why Manning added the no trade clause to his contract.
      The rumor did not get past a podcast, so there was not enough repercussion. The big NFL journalists don't confirm or deny all things said on every podcast. If there was any fire, this rumor would be touched by the big media. Plus, Elway would never discuss a trade for Manning without consulting Manning first. If he does something like this and the story is confirmed by a credible media member, the rift would have been too much to handle.

      Elway said Manning would be part of the coaching search, so he approved the move to go after Kubiak. Manning is a big part of Elway's regime. Any trade talk would be preceded by a serious conversation between Manning and Elway. It would never happen behind his back. Also, if Manning were available for trade, I believe the Bears would have jumped right in. It's a very logical fit, even more logical than the Texans.

      Considering that Manning does not want to move again at age 39, I will assume the rumor is false. That also answers the no-trade clause. Why such clause? Because Manning is at the end of his career, he chose Denver over several other places and he does not want to move and start all over again. He altered his contract to play for incentives, so in exchange he asked for some security.

      If the Broncos think they are ready to win with Osweiler, why pay Manning's big contract? Even without a trade, we could have released Manning to free a ton of cap. We could have signed a lot of players with that money. The bottom line is that Manning is our linchpin and, as Elway said, Osweiler is an inexperienced player who will have to prove his worth when the bullets start flying.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        The rumor did not get past a podcast, so there was not enough repercussion. The big NFL journalists don't confirm or deny all things said on every podcast. If there was any fire, this rumor would be touched by the big media. Plus, Elway would never discuss a trade for Manning without consulting Manning first. If he does something like this and the story is confirmed by a credible media member, the rift would have been too much to handle.

        Elway said Manning would be part of the coaching search, so he approved the move to go after Kubiak. Manning is a big part of Elway's regime. Any trade talk would be preceded by a serious conversation between Manning and Elway. It would never happen behind his back. Also, if Manning were available for trade, I believe the Bears would have jumped right in. It's a very logical fit, even more logical than the Texans.

        Considering that Manning does not want to move again at age 39, I will assume the rumor is false. That also answers the no-trade clause. Why such clause? Because Manning is at the end of his career, he chose Denver over several other places and he does not want to move and start all over again. He altered his contract to play for incentives, so in exchange he asked for some security.

        If the Broncos think they are ready to win with Osweiler, why pay Manning's big contract? Even without a trade, we could have released Manning to free a ton of cap. We could have signed a lot of players with that money. The bottom line is that Manning is our linchpin and, as Elway said, Osweiler is an inexperienced player who will have to prove his worth when the bullets start flying.
        You're talking in circles.

        If he is "apart of Elway's regime" and was involved in the coaching search, why does he need security in the form of a no-trade clause? That just doesn't make sense.
        sigpic

        Hooray, beer!

        Comment


        • #49
          I wouldn't be surprised if a team contacted the Broncos and we actually listened to their proposal. I just don't see any team willing to give up enough value that would exceed the potential of keeping Manning.

          The perception for most is that Manning makes a team a super bowl contender, you can't give that away without receiving something back that keeps your team at that status. I don't think the Texans have anything that meets that criteria save Watt, which we all know they didn't offer.

          I think we ride out the Manning phase for one more year and he either decides to hang them up or is kind of pushed into it.
          Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised if a team contacted the Broncos and we actually listened to their proposal. I just don't see any team willing to give up enough value that would exceed the potential of keeping Manning.

            The perception for most is that Manning makes a team a super bowl contender, you can't give that away without receiving something back that keeps your team at that status. I don't think the Texans have anything that meets that criteria save Watt, which we all know they didn't offer.

            I think we ride out the Manning phase for one more year and he either decides to hang them up or is kind of pushed into it.
            seem to remember some of the same stuff thrown out when McD was here with cutler.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              If he is "apart of Elway's regime" and was involved in the coaching search, why does he need security in the form of a no-trade clause?
              Because it would not be the first time a player who is the face of the franchise gets traded near the end of his career. Manning has two years left on his contract and a lot of things can happen during this period. Obviously, Manning did not like the idea of being asked to take a pay cut, so in return he found a way to get something that's good for him.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                seem to remember some of the same stuff thrown out when McD was here with cutler.
                I'm not sure the two situations compare. I don't think anyone at that time believed cutler to be at the same level as manning. We got a pretty good deal for cutler too.
                Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

                Comment

                Working...
                X