Broncos Must Plan For Post Manning Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
    I've yet to see the guy play well in actual game situations. I think before shelling out millions, our FO would be wise to see how he does this next year and then make a decision. A lot of players are looking good this time of year. Let's see what happens when the pads are on and it really counts for something.
    are we really going to get to see anything meaningful this year?
    Dr. Giggles

Comment

I was comfortable with the concept of moving on from the Manning era this year when he was deciding whether to return or not.

Still have concerns with Manning adapting to a Kubiak system or that Kubiak will have to make too many compromises to what he does best. I hope for the best but I think there will be some issues with the offense this year.

I respect what Manning has done as a QB but we are seeing only a portion of what made him great. Defenses have adjusted to his diminishing skills. The stats in the biggest games were down well before he was injured last year.

Honestly was looking forward to Osweiller taking over. Kubiak and Dennison would have worked with him this entire summer. Osweiller would have had all the reps in practice. Not another year of hoping for some scraps when Manning allows him a chance. I would not have expected Osweiller to be "better" but I would have expected him to be contribute and lead the team. Kubiak could have groomed Oz and the offense to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

I also have some optimism that the o-line will develop nicely. None of the LTs are Clady. But they will adjust and find ways for the young lineman to succeed. In large part because they will have the summer with the expectations as a starter. And prepare accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
        I was comfortable with the concept of moving on from the Manning era this year when he was deciding whether to return or not.

Still have concerns with Manning adapting to a Kubiak system or that Kubiak will have to make too many compromises to what he does best. I hope for the best but I think there will be some issues with the offense this year.

I respect what Manning has done as a QB but we are seeing only a portion of what made him great. Defenses have adjusted to his diminishing skills. The stats in the biggest games were down well before he was injured last year.

Honestly was looking forward to Osweiller taking over. Kubiak and Dennison would have worked with him this entire summer. Osweiller would have had all the reps in practice. Not another year of hoping for some scraps when Manning allows him a chance. I would not have expected Osweiller to be "better" but I would have expected him to be contribute and lead the team. Kubiak could have groomed Oz and the offense to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

I also have some optimism that the o-line will develop nicely. None of the LTs are Clady. But they will adjust and find ways for the young lineman to succeed. In large part because they will have the summer with the expectations as a starter. And prepare accordingly.
        I feel the same way, and have posted it elsewhere. Be careful cuz I got flamed and you are going to upset a lot of people for being a realist. Lots of orange colored glasses refuse to see those diminishing skills for what they are. Either way I wish our Bronco's the best and I will go along for the ride same as every other season. Go Broncos!
        Dr. Giggles

Comment

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Broncos break the bank to extend Brock, but to give him something moderate to see what we have. We will never see what we have in Brock while Manning is in Denver which could be two more years, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post
            I dont think anyone is expecting him to look like a pro bowl qb. However in 3 years of preseason he has thrown I think 2 touchdowns? sure maybe 1 was dropped but I have seen rookies come into preseason and look sharper.

That doesnt mean he will be bad, but the guy hasnt even shown any flashes of being good yet.
            Terrible argument. "Flashes" is a subjective term. In my opinion, he has shown countless flashes.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
              I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Broncos break the bank to extend Brock, but to give him something moderate to see what we have. We will never see what we have in Brock while Manning is in Denver which could be two more years, who knows?
              This is the exact point though. How do we gauge what we have if he can't get on the field? You can't base it off practice. Sorry to the Peyton fanatics, but he is selfish with reps, playing time, and stats. So, another season and Brock may not see the field again. What is he worth........????? Go Broncos!
              Dr. Giggles

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
                I've yet to see the guy play well in actual game situations. I think before shelling out millions, our FO would be wise to see how he does this next year and then make a decision. A lot of players are looking good this time of year. Let's see what happens when the pads are on and it really counts for something.
                I think there are two approaches to take here. One is the wait and see approach and the other is the approach of if we sign him now to a deal we might be able to get him cheaper if he come out and plays really well. The latter option should only be put on the table after pre-season and if he plays better. It is also important to note that Brock gets very few reps in practice and in early season under our previous coaching staff only really got reps with the 2's and 3's. OZ behind a better O-line and in a scheme which fits him well could mean great things. A potential contact might be something along the lines of 4-5/yr for years 1-2 and then an escalator in years 2-5 of somewhere in the rage of 8-9/ yr. The early years 1-2 would be guaranteed and the latter years would not. This would allow OZ to be paid like a backup and prove himself and then get paid more like a starter if he plays to that level.

Comment

Working...
                X