Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montee Ball and C.J. Anderson 1A and 1B for Broncos

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...1b-for-broncos

Don't throw dirt on Montee Ball's career just yet.

Although 2014 breakout star C.J. Anderson entered offseason practices as the Denver Broncos' starting running back, Ball is splitting reps with the first-team offense.

"I'm really looking forward to splitting carries with him," Ball said, via the team's official website. "I think we're two really good backs in a system that we love to keep the ball on the ground. So we love this system."

Ball added that he is viewed as the "1B" to Anderson's "1A" because new offensive coordinator Rick Dennison's ground attack will utilize both backs.

"It's a long season," Ball continued, "so we most definitely understand that we're going to have to keep battling and keep fighting for the position, which will make the offense better and the team better. Healthy competition is important."

Anderson's ascension has served as a wake-up call for Ball, who vows to turn his career around after injuries swallowed his 2014 season.

One of Gary Kubiak's assistants told the new head coach that Ball is "just different" this year.

"He's working. He's very focused in what he's doing," Kubiak said, via KUSA's Mike Klis. "I think he knows C.J. did a heck of a job at the end of the year, but he sees himself as a starter also."

From what we have seen on Game Rewind the past two years, Anderson is the superior player. Recent Broncos history suggests, however, that both backs will start games in 2015.

I think it will be good to use both to keep them fresh.

Comment

I would put my money on CJ and Thompson, The broncos need to just accept that Ball is a bust. The exact same line Cj thrived and ball sucked.

Comment

I am willing to give Ball the benefit of doubt for another season. But if he can't contribute this year there can be no more excuses.

Everything is aligning for him to be successful. The change of offense to a system he thrived in at college will be key. It would be a huge advantage if both Ball and Anderson can provide a solid 1-2 tandem at RB this year.

The odd man out IMO is Hillman. He has never shown the ability to make quick decisions or break arm tackles. I honestly would not be surprised if he does not make the roster. Bibbs may just take his spot if the reports from OTAs are true.

Comment

This offense is perfect for Ball. He will have a breakout year.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
            I am willing to give Ball the benefit of doubt for another season. But if he can't contribute this year there can be no more excuses.

Everything is aligning for him to be successful. The change of offense to a system he thrived in at college will be key. It would be a huge advantage if both Ball and Anderson can provide a solid 1-2 tandem at RB this year.

The odd man out IMO is Hillman. He has never shown the ability to make quick decisions or break arm tackles. I honestly would not be surprised if he does not make the roster. Bibbs may just take his spot if the reports from OTAs are true.
            Excellent post.

Most forget that Ball led the nation in rushing and TDs in college. They also forget he had an appendectomy IIRC late in TC. After that pulled a groin trying to get into shape and once he had "recovered" from that he pulled it again.

While I have been a CJ fan from the day he signed with us I suspect both will be getting a ton of reps all year.

Ball being the starter would not surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by multimoussa View Post
              I would put my money on CJ and Thompson, The broncos need to just accept that Ball is a bust. The exact same line Cj thrived and ball sucked.
              Agreed. I've been surprised that Thompson hasn't had more opportunities because he's been efficient when he's been in. It should have been CJ+Thompson all year last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                Excellent post.

Most forget that Ball led the nation in rushing and TDs in college. They also forget he had an appendectomy IIRC late in TC. After that pulled a groin trying to get into shape and once he had "recovered" from that he pulled it again.

While I have been a CJ fan from the day he signed with us I suspect both will be getting a ton of reps all year.

Ball being the starter would not surprise me.
                You don't just bench a quality back like Anderson. He showed us how talented he is last season. He's gonna be sought after in fantasy football leagues. Ball got unlucky with Anderson's emergence, and the best case scenario for him is to be able to get some carries.

Besides, this is the NFL, not college. Tebow had some of the best college stats of all time, and he's now the Eagles third string QB after not being picked up by anyone for a while.
                sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Hey, I am excited to think that Ball will make an impact this season, and therefore make for a great combo with CJ! Sure, lets see more from Thompson and Hillman. Why not!!! The more the merrier. The stronger the run game, the more successful we can be. I would love a less predictable O, one that works more balance into the equation while still allowing for some powerful passing performances. All cylinders gang!!!:thumb:

Comment

Lol no. One year of injury =/= bust

Comment

Except it wasnt the exact same line. So that might put a damper on your thinking. It also included an extra OL in to block which ball did not have. It also was a different blocking scheme than what we ran earlier in the year. Oh and dont forget that CJ was without the amazing all world blocking of JT and was with the amazing all world blocking of Virgil Green. Ball had the reverse.

You may want to re-think your statement
                      So far:
                      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

honestly would love to see Cj tear it up but if Ball can hang on to the ball and give Cj a breather then alright more power to us honestly would rather see juwan thompson though

Comment

CJ has earned the most reps. I would like to see Ball do well and get the reps needed to spell CJ. In an ideal world, Thompson would stay healthy all year and make Hillman dispensable.
                          Dr. Giggles

Comment

You know Ball had a pretty dang good 8 games to close out his rookie year. Before he sustained 3 injuries at the beginning of last year.
                            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I'm willing to give Ball one more season before writing him off...though he is a couple crucial fumbles away from being sent to Jacksonville
                              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Working...
                              X