Some of new Broncos coaches say it loud(er) and proud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Kubiak's record as a head coach kind of shows that his approach isn't necessarily effective. He did get fired in-season.
    I will still take Kubs and Dennison over Foxy and Gase ANY DAY.
    sigpic
    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
      I will still take Kubs and Dennison over Foxy and Gase ANY DAY.
      IMHO had he not signed with Baltimore last year before we got our assets kicked in the SB, there is little doubt in my mind that he would have been hired last year.

I truly believe that by the time we lost that game there was NO ONE worth a dam to replace Fox with so John gave him another year to MEET Elway standards.

I think that John told him win it ALL or else and that was why his agent was talking to CHICAGO before that final game. He had his exit strategy all ready figured out.

How many times over the last couple of years did John go into the locker room and read the riot act.

I remember hearing about John commenting about he did not mind losing as long as the players were giving it all and got beat by the better team and we lost kicking and screaming. That was the seminal moment for me, I was pretty sure Fox was a goner.

That should have been Fox doing that but he was to nice a guy to be the bad COP, So to speak.

But again when our season came to an end there were a few options coordinators from SEA or our guys. Everyone else was spoken for.

Fox was a good bridge coach who was unlikely to get them to the next level, he was the healer after the end of Shanahan and Then McD, the stabilizing guy to get the locker room fixed.
      Plus really there was not a lot of choice when John was looking.
      Last edited by Garfield; 06-12-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I think Fox was a good stabilizer for the team after McDummy. But I always thought that when you are buddy buddy with your players they do not respect you or your expectations of their performance. The players knew that if they took a game off Foxy would just give them a pep talk and not chew their butts and put them on the bench.

I will not in one least bit miss Gase. Again a nice guy and he is learning but he had no clue how to call a game. He was so predictable and he could not disguise what we were doing. I could tell you which plays we were going to run just by how we lined up. If I can do that then a good defensive coordinator is going to eat him alive.

I think Foxy may be good for the Bears as a stabilizer but he will never get them a championship.

I will take my chances with Kubs and Dennison any day over Foxy and Gase.
        sigpic

Comment

I think Fox was a good stabilizer for the team after McDummy. But I always thought that when you are buddy buddy with your players they do not respect you or your expectations of their performance. The players knew that if they took a game off Foxy would just give them a pep talk and not chew their butts and put them on the bench.

I will not in one least bit miss Gase. Again a nice guy and he is learning but he had no clue how to call a game. He was so predictable and he could not disguise what we were doing. I could tell you which plays we were going to run just by how we lined up. If I can do that then a good defensive coordinator is going to eat him alive.

I think Foxy may be good for the Bears as a stabilizer but he will never get them a championship.

kind of an exaggeration considering they scored the most points in the history of the league............
          sigpic

Comment

There are coaches that can get you near and the. The team just plateaus and no matter what they do it stays the same.

Fox is that guy a good players coach and that was what we needed but IMO it was not just McD that hurt the team. 10 years or so of slow decay before he got here was an issue also.

As for the Bears yes he will help but with cutler as a QB they are going no where unless the D is number one in everything including scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              kind of an exaggeration considering they scored the most points in the history of the league............
              Yes but against what teams did they score big.

When it came down to the play offs and you have great players and really good coaching that is when it counts. And we got smoked on more than one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                Yes but against what teams did they score big.

When it came down to the play offs and you have great players and really good coaching that is when it counts. And we got smoked on more than one occasion.
                They only got "smoked" once...the SB. They lost 3 games that year by a total of 16 points.

What teams did they score big on...pretty much all of them. in the regular season they only scored less than 30 points 3 times
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  Gase was still using a good part of McCoy's playbook in 2013. Last year when Gase changed the playbook more to make it his own we didn't fair as well. All the plays we used before that helped us with that record setting year were mostly gone like all the rub routs etc.....

Then when Elway wanted the team to run the ball more (assuming it was because Manning got hurt) the wheels fell off the proverbial Gase playbook wagon. He STUNK at trying to incorporate a running game into the passing game. He could not disguise the plays and it was obvious to most viewers. When the run game was working, instead of using play action pass he would line up in shot gun to tip his hand. If he was going to run he brought in extra linemen. In my opinion he had no imagination when it came to mixing plays.

You also have to take into consideration that we played some lame teams that year to get to the SB. The good teams we played that year we lost to or almost lost to them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Kubiak didn't impress me that much when he was in Houston. I think the main problem for the Texans was always the QB position, not just the players but how they were supposed to play in the offense.

Comment

I love John Fox. He did us great as a Bronco. The man can coach a damn good football team.

Unfortunately he cannot lead that team into battle. That is what separates good from great.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                        Kubiak didn't impress me that much when he was in Houston. I think the main problem for the Texans was always the QB position, not just the players but how they were supposed to play in the offense.
                        can you elaborate please?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                          He was fired in-season during a season the team was expected to compete for a spot in the Super Bowl. Fox wins four straight division titles (albeit, the first one suspect) and gets to a Super Bowl and everyone says he sucks and is happy he was fired. All I'm saying is, expectations need to be tempered. Kubiak could turn out to be the right fit for this team or he could turn out to be Norv Turner(or a notch below that).
                          Smart coaches know what they're stupid at and figure out a way to educate themselves. Yes, Kubiak was fired in midseason, however listening to him he talks a lot about doing things now that he learned last year in Baltimore, because Baltimore has been a consistent contender for a long time and they do a good job developing their young players.

Every coach will be fired, some in midseason (Shanahan was fired by the Raiders in midseason) the good and great coaches will figure out why it happened and how they can make themselves better. Everything I've heard from Kubiak so far leads me to believe he's done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                            I love John Fox. He did us great as a Bronco. The man can coach a damn good football team.

Unfortunately he cannot lead that team into battle. That is what separates good from great.
                            A good coach, and by all accounts a good man as well. He and the Broncos reached the end of their usefulness for each other, no hard feelings, no grudges, but both needed a change. I wish him well in Chicago, I think he's a good coach and he will show just how good if he can guide a Jay Cutler QB'd team to a division championship over the Packers.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                              There are coaches that can get you near and the. The team just plateaus and no matter what they do it stays the same.

Fox is that guy a good players coach and that was what we needed but IMO it was not just McD that hurt the team. 10 years or so of slow decay before he got here was an issue also.

As for the Bears yes he will help but with cutler as a QB they are going no where unless the D is number one in everything including scoring.

I agree with your original sentiments. A great example of this is Marty Schottenheimer, he's a great coach and will turn a team around and make them successful, that's who he is. Unfortunately come playoff time, his team will fail. 200-126-1 with only 2 losing seasons in 21 seasons as an NFL head coach. But just 5-13 in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X