Starting OL set for camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Losing Clady and a rookie TE isn't how you want to kick off the 2015 campaign, but I think all this worrying about the OL is off point. The OL play was terrible last year... I don't think it can be worse. Clady was the 41st rated OT!

We have 1/5th in place... we know, and should expect, Vazquez to play at an All-Pro level at RG. After that, it's open competition from young guys, rookies, vets and rotation guys in their prime.

Two things to remember: (1) we lost Clady 2 years ago and went to the SB. With Clark at LT, we posted historic #s on offense. (2) We are returning to a predominant ZBS offense, led by a proven coaches (Kubiak-Dennsion)... so .... in them I trust.

I think we'll be running a ton of 2 TE sets... Virgil Green & Owen Daniels... this will hope both our OTs, and then they can release for safety valves. This means We have 2 WR & a RB or 3 WR and 0 RB.

I also feel like the rushing attack, the play-action, and PM's mind will aid in the pass protection too.

Then, as the season progresses... experiences will start to bring to fruition confidence. Think back to last year, when KC obliterated NE... We thought that OL would get Brady killed. But people stepped up... Same thing in GB and INDY...

I think the offense will be fine. Scheme alone will help us in a big spot. The key to this season is the defense, IMHO.

With that said, I would love to bring in Mathis.
    I wouldn't say it is off point at all. If the O-line is as terrible as it was last year we won't win. Period. Oh sure, we'll get 10-13 wins and make the playoffs, but superbowl will be off the table with a bruised up manning come post season. For us to have a shot at all the marbles we have to be better on the o-line and keep manning in pristine condition all year.

I agree that defense is going to be key this year, but the o-line could make or break us regardless of how well the defense does.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
      I wouldn't say it is off point at all. If the O-line is as terrible as it was last year we won't win. Period. Oh sure, we'll get 10-13 wins and make the playoffs, but superbowl will be off the table with a bruised up manning come post season. For us to have a shot at all the marbles we have to be better on the o-line and keep manning in pristine condition all year.

I agree that defense is going to be key this year, but the o-line could make or break us regardless of how well the defense does.
      I agree with your post; especially if the OL gets Pam hurt (like last year / although this was partially Fox's fault for allowing an old man play with the fly)...

What I was trying to say was all this fretting over who is vying for what particular starting spot... Where the best fit is... All that... Is mute, until pads are on and we see them compete in real game speed action.

And, just as we recovered 2 yrs ago... I am going to assume... Will trust what the cowch's decide... Feel is best... And then decide come Nov if they were right.

Again, I think we will have 7 blockers most passing downs (early in season, as OL figures itself out).

Comment

How terrible was the O-Line last year?

We will never know whose decision it was to put Franklin at LG and Clark at RT. That's not their fault. Denver lost one game with Clark at RT at Seattle by 20-26. In that game they were 29% run/71% pass.

Clark was benched for Paul Cornick. Denver lost one game with Cornick at RT at New England by 21-43. In that game they were 23% run/77% pass.

Denver shifted Vasquez and Ramirez one spot to the right and put Montgomery at Center. Denver lost two games with Montgomery at C, Ramirez at RG and Vasquez at RT: at Saint Louis 7-22 in which they were 16% run/84% pass; and, at Cincinnati 28-37 in which they were 30% run/70% pass.

In those four road losses, they were 24% run/76% pass.

Offensive linemen don't call the plays, they just do what they're told. They don't sign free agents or draft, they just go out and line up and run what's called.

When Beadles left, what was needed was a Left Guard. Was not acquiring a LG the coaching staff's fault? When they put Franklin at LG, what was needed was a RT. They went through Clark, Cornick and Vasquez, and now they say they're back to Clark. I expected Franklin to return to RT last year, but that didn't happen. Apparently whoever thought it was a good idea to put Clark at RT is still with the organization.

Adam Gase didn't do the O-Line any favors last year, especially in those four road losses. There are ways to help an O-Line get the job done, and there is just throwing them to the wolves and then blaming them for failure.

I think Kubiak, Dennison, Knapp, Barone and Cregg will help the O-Line to succeed this year much more than Gase did last year.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          How terrible was the O-Line last year?

We will never know whose decision it was to put Franklin at LG and Clark at RT. That's not their fault. Denver lost one game with Clark at RT at Seattle by 20-26. In that game they were 29% run/71% pass.

Clark was benched for Paul Cornick. Denver lost one game with Cornick at RT at New England by 21-43. In that game they were 23% run/77% pass.

Denver shifted Vasquez and Ramirez one spot to the right and put Montgomery at Center. Denver lost two games with Montgomery at C, Ramirez at RG and Vasquez at RT: at Saint Louis 7-22 in which they were 16% run/84% pass; and, at Cincinnati 28-37 in which they were 30% run/70% pass.

In those four road losses, they were 24% run/76% pass.

Offensive linemen don't call the plays, they just do what they're told. They don't sign free agents or draft, they just go out and line up and run what's called.

When Beadles left, what was needed was a Left Guard. Was not acquiring a LG the coaching staff's fault? When they put Franklin at LG, what was needed was a RT. They went through Clark, Cornick and Vasquez, and now they say they're back to Clark. I expected Franklin to return to RT last year, but that didn't happen. Apparently whoever thought it was a good idea to put Clark at RT is still with the organization.

Adam Gase didn't do the O-Line any favors last year, especially in those four road losses. There are ways to help an O-Line get the job done, and there is just throwing them to the wolves and then blaming them for failure.

I think Kubiak, Dennison, Knapp, Barone and Cregg will help the O-Line to succeed this year much more than Gase did last year.
          You make good points, my point I was getting at is we did a terrible job of protecting Manning last year and it cost us in the playoffs. Yes, poor coaching played a huge roll in that, but we've gotta protect Manning this year, that may mean running the ball more as you pointed out, we were unbalanced last year. The fact of the matter is, the o-line has to do their job. No matter what the breakdown stemmed from last season, we did a horrid job of keeping Manning untouched last year, we have to do better this year if we want to be contenders.
          sigpic

Comment

You make good points, my point I was getting at is we did a terrible job of protecting Manning last year and it cost us in the playoffs. Yes, poor coaching played a huge roll in that, but we've gotta protect Manning this year, that may mean running the ball more as you pointed out, we were unbalanced last year. The fact of the matter is, the o-line has to do their job. No matter what the breakdown stemmed from last season, we did a horrid job of keeping Manning untouched last year, we have to do better this year if we want to be contenders.
            Well, did they? What's horrid? Peyton Manning was sacked seventeen times last year.

Tom Brady was sacked twenty-one times; Andrew Luck twenty-seven; Joe Flacco nineteen; Andy Dalton twenty-one; Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning twenty-eight; Tony Romo and Drew Brees twenty-nine; Matt Ryan thirty-one; Ben Roethlisberger thirty-three; Philip Rivers thirty-six; Russell Wilson forty-two; and, Matthew Stafford forty-five.

Peyton Manning was sacked less than any other QB in 2014 who started all the regular season games. If his protection was "horrid", how would we characterize the others?

Only Eli, Carr, Stafford, Roethlisberger, Luck, Ryan and Brees had more pass attempts. Only Tannehill, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees and Romo had higher completion percentages. Only Luck, Roethlisberger and Brees threw for more yards. Only Luck threw more TDs. Luck and Brees threw more picks. Only Roethlisberger, Rodgers and Romo had a higher passer rating. Only Luck, Roethlisberger and Brees averaged more ypg.

Like I said before, Denver lost four road games when Adam Gase failed to attend to the issue of cultivating a viable rushing attack. I don't think Denver's 2014 O-Line should take the blame for his failure to grasp the cardinal rules of offensive football. In fact, I think they deserve some credit for doing as well as they did after the organization failed to adequately address needs created by Beadles' departure.

Now Franklin is gone to a division rival. He did everything asked of him last year and did well. I was skeptical of him as a puller from LG, but he did great. Now Ben Garland, Shelley Smith and possibly Max Garcia compete at LG.

Montgomery is gone and the Broncos have Gradkowski, Paradis and Garcia to compete at Center which seems OK at this time.

The Lions wanted Manny in the Shane Ray trade, so Denver sent him back to Detroit. Louis Vasquez is back at RG and the Broncos have other Center candidates, so that situation seems OK with Garcia providing depth at RG as well.

Clady's injury was a big setback for the O-Line, but Denver's second round pick, Ty Sambrailo, has lots of LT experience at The Fort. I have a feeling Clark will get shuffled back to the left to back him up.

I will be disappointed if Michael Schofield doesn't step up and beat Clark out at RT. I don't see Ryan Harris as more than a quality backup since he has had some injury problems during his career.

Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison are reunited with Greg Knapp with whom they worked in Houston. Kubiak retained Clancy Barone who studied under Alex Gibbs as did Dennison. Kubiak also retained James Cregg, Assistant O-Line Coach from last year, who can provide much needed continuity just as Barone, Knapp, Studesville, Tolbert and Callahan will.

The offense will now have a plan instead of just a bigger grab bag. Word out of Dove Valley is that Peyton Manning is excited about the new offense. Having a viable rushing attack will be a great help to him.

Comment

Well, did they? What's horrid? Peyton Manning was sacked seventeen times last year.

Tom Brady was sacked twenty-one times; Andrew Luck twenty-seven; Joe Flacco nineteen; Andy Dalton twenty-one; Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning twenty-eight; Tony Romo and Drew Brees twenty-nine; Matt Ryan thirty-one; Ben Roethlisberger thirty-three; Philip Rivers thirty-six; Russell Wilson forty-two; and, Matthew Stafford forty-five.
              I was going to come back and comment that Manning was hit a lot...he wasn't, 2nd lowest in the league...Manning is just fragile lol...I rest your case, I sold the o-line short.

We still have to keep our brittle boned (yet lovable) QB safe this year.
              sigpic

Comment

I was going to come back and comment that Manning was hit a lot...he wasn't, 2nd lowest in the league...Manning is just fragile lol...I rest your case, I sold the o-line short.

Oh yeah, definitely need to keep Peyton's jersey as clean as possible. The 2015 O-Line will be brand new in view of the fact that, besides playing next to Clark ( who may not win a starting spot) for six games last year, Louis Vasquez hasn't played with any of these guys. As far as unit cohesion goes, they need to develop it in this new offense as quickly as possible!

They have a good system, good coaches and they are a smart bunch of guys. Plus, they have Peyton Manning who is as good a leader as one could hope for. I heard Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon interview David Cutcliffe on "The Blitz" NFLRadio the other day. Naturally, he commented on the effect PM has on his teammates. Who knows? Maybe PM gets sacked this year less than last. One can only hope.

Comment

Brittle
                  AYE.

Manning is not brittle just because he had neck surgery. He has not Broken bones any injuries have been soft tissue. At least what I have heard of.

Comment

Peyton Manning was sacked less than any other QB in 2014 who started all the regular season games. If his protection was "horrid", how would we characterize the others?

Only Eli, Carr, Stafford, Roethlisberger, Luck, Ryan and Brees had more pass attempts. Only Tannehill, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees and Romo had higher completion percentages. Only Luck, Roethlisberger and Brees threw for more yards. Only Luck threw more TDs. Luck and Brees threw more picks. Only Roethlisberger, Rodgers and Romo had a higher passer rating. Only Luck, Roethlisberger and Brees averaged more ypg.

Like I said before, Denver lost four road games when Adam Gase failed to attend to the issue of cultivating a viable rushing attack. I don't think Denver's 2014 O-Line should take the blame for his failure to grasp the cardinal rules of offensive football. In fact, I think they deserve some credit for doing as well as they did after the organization failed to adequately address needs created by Beadles' departure.

Now Franklin is gone to a division rival. He did everything asked of him last year and did well. I was skeptical of him as a puller from LG, but he did great. Now Ben Garland, Shelley Smith and possibly Max Garcia compete at LG.

Montgomery is gone and the Broncos have Gradkowski, Paradis and Garcia to compete at Center which seems OK at this time.

The Lions wanted Manny in the Shane Ray trade, so Denver sent him back to Detroit. Louis Vasquez is back at RG and the Broncos have other Center candidates, so that situation seems OK with Garcia providing depth at RG as well.

Clady's injury was a big setback for the O-Line, but Denver's second round pick, Ty Sambrailo, has lots of LT experience at The Fort. I have a feeling Clark will get shuffled back to the left to back him up.

I will be disappointed if Michael Schofield doesn't step up and beat Clark out at RT. I don't see Ryan Harris as more than a quality backup since he has had some injury problems during his career.

Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison are reunited with Greg Knapp with whom they worked in Houston. Kubiak retained Clancy Barone who studied under Alex Gibbs as did Dennison. Kubiak also retained James Cregg, Assistant O-Line Coach from last year, who can provide much needed continuity just as Barone, Knapp, Studesville, Tolbert and Callahan will.

The offense will now have a plan instead of just a bigger grab bag. Word out of Dove Valley is that Peyton Manning is excited about the new offense. Having a viable rushing attack will be a great help to him.

I agree that getting closer to 50/50 run-pass split will benefit everbody!

Comment

And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                        I agree that getting closer to 50/50 run-pass split will benefit everbody!
                        Watch out those 50/50 non believers wil be out after your scalp.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                          Brittle
                          AYE.

Manning is not brittle just because he had neck surgery. He has not Broken bones any injuries have been soft tissue. At least what I have heard of.
                          It was a joke, but if I have to justify myself I don't think the neck surgery makes him brittle, more the fact that he's up there in age and what would be a minor injury for a younger player could seriously hamper his play.

This has nothing to do with the fact that he's Manning, this is just what happens to aging QB's...Look at Favre towards the end.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                            Brittle
                            AYE.

Um, Frey was just kidding. He was just saying that because of Manning's age, he needs to be protected at all costs, like all aging QBs. Jeez, lighten up! You take everything so serious.

Smile, laugh, kid around once in awhile. It's really OK to not always have to be trying to make a point.
                            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                            X