Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This could be extremely good news for Broncos Defense: Sylvester Williams, finally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could be extremely good news for Broncos Defense: Sylvester Williams, finally.

Nose tackle Sylvester Williams has impressed coaches and teammates with his offseason work thanks in part to his mindset and confidence in a key role in the trenches.

VIEW GALLERY | 17 Photos
    Broncos' minicamp concludes
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — With the conclusion of minicamp, Sylvester Williams has impressed coaches and teammates alike, taking ownership of the nose tackle position in the new 3-4 defense that's being installed.

Perhaps no one has been more impressed than Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, who said that Williams has really taken advantage of his offseason as he tries to prove himself to a new coaching staff.

"I think Sly has done an exceptional job," Phillips noted on Thursday following practice. "I feel real good about him. About four of the guys are really, I think they’re moving forward really well. I think we’ve got a group that can come in and play and do some good things for us and Sly has been exceptional. I think he’s really taken over the nose guard position. ... I’m really pleased with where he is."

VIEW GALLERY | 18 Photos
    Broncos Minicamp Day 2
    Head Coach Gary Kubiak agreed, and said that Williams and the defensive line have responded well to the coaching of defensive line coach Bill Kollar, who has a great reputation for getting the most out of his players.

"We had a little concern about the nose position, how we’re going to go about it, but I think [Vance] Walker’s made a lot of progress. I think Sly has had a really good offseason," Kubiak said. "Marvin [Austin]’s been nicked a little bit and has missed some time. So there’s been a little concern of how we’re going to do that, but the good news is that Wade has played with the big nose, he’s played with the small guys, he’s played with all of them. I like the way Bill works and they’ve responded to Bill and I think they’ve done a good job."

Williams, though he had not played in a 3-4 prior to this offseason, told DenverBroncos.com in March that he was eager to face a new challenge and the pressure that it brings as he goes into his third season.

"There’s a lot of pressure on me, but to be honest, I’m happy to have that pressure," he told us at the time. "I’m just excited that the coaches really believe in me in giving me a shot to prove myself."

DeMarcus Ware said on Tuesday that he's noticed Williams' confidence building this offseason, which falls right in line with Phillips' observations.

"He’s getting that confidence of being that guy in the middle you’re going to have to count on," Ware said. "I can see that confidence, especially in the pass rush. Also, with coach teaching him so many things—and the whole defensive line—those guys are really coming together as a conglomerate group."
    Dr. Giggles

Good article and not to sound like a negative Nancy but I'll believe it when I see it. Both coach kubes and Phillips are great and are going to praise their boys for self esteem purposes but like I said I'll believe this one when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
      Good article and not to sound like a negative Nancy but I'll believe it when I see it. Both coach kubes and Phillips are great and are going to praise their boys for self esteem purposes but like I said I'll believe this one when I see it.
      No doubt, wait and see. This could be exactly what we need though if true. So many have labeled him as a bust, so hope he finally delivers. Go Broncos!
      Dr. Giggles

Comment

I have no doubt Kubes and Phillips will improve multiple players this season. I strongly believe they have a good staff when it comes to "coaching up" players.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by drgiggles View Post
          No doubt, wait and see. This could be exactly what we need though if true. So many have labeled him as a bust, so hope he finally delivers. Go Broncos!
          DT is a hard spot to learn even the very best coming out of college take a couple of years to be at their best.

Especially when your not picking top five the guys you get take even longer to develop.
          I'm glad we had pot roast to help mom transition into a good to Great DT.

Usually by the time they are great then We can't afford him and the cycle repeats itself.

Comment

I was surprised to hear Phillips in one of his latest interviews saying just this. That Sly has impressed.

Additionally, he was asked how the pass defenders were doing, and he seemed to feel more comfortable talking positive about the run defense. But, it's all pending 'real camp' and when the pads go on and the guys are actually hitting each other with purpose.

Yes, it could be good news for the Broncos. Time will tell

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
              I was surprised to hear Phillips in one of his latest interviews saying just this. That Sly has impressed.

Additionally, he was asked how the pass defenders were doing, and he seemed to feel more comfortable talking positive about the run defense. But, it's all pending 'real camp' and when the pads go on and the guys are actually hitting each other with purpose.

Well it was aid when he came to camp he was not the sharpest arrow in the quiver.

So IF he has grasped the concept and understands the playbook then we are farther along than I thought we would be.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post

I guess I looked at this as the weak spot in our defense. If he could finally play up to his 2nd round pick, I would be even more optimistic about having a top 5 defense.
                Dr. Giggles

Comment

I guess I looked at this as the weak spot in our defense. If he could finally play up to his 2nd round pick, I would be even more optimistic about having a top 5 defense.
                  Sly was a 1st rounder.

Even though sly didn't have a good grade from PFF by the end of the year he has some very, very good snaps. He has several plays in almost every game where the play call doesn't have him in a read stance and he can blow past olineman. I knew sly was gonna look good at NT.
                  A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

FWIW he was the 28th player taken In 2013.

Or in other words first rounder.

As I said when he was drafted and came to camp he was not real bright lots of talent but struggled with playbook.

Some of that could have been scheme or coaching. Now we have one of the best coaching staffs and he has had time to adjust to NFL speed and strength, it is time to step up.

Do not forget few DTs come out balls to the walls the first couple of years unless they are top ten picks. Even the. They get beat up by savy vets from time to time.

He had pot roast to show him some ropes the last couple of years, so again it may be time.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                      FWIW he was the 28th player taken In 2013.

Or in other words first rounder.

As I said when he was drafted and came to camp he was not real bright lots of talent but struggled with playbook.

Some of that could have been scheme or coaching. Now we have one of the best coaching staffs and he has had time to adjust to NFL speed and strength, it is time to step up.

Do not forget few DTs come out balls to the walls the first couple of years unless they are top ten picks. Even the. They get beat up by savy vets from time to time.

He had pot roast to show him some ropes the last couple of years, so again it may be time.
                      I was thinken of Wolfe in 2nd. My bad.
                      Dr. Giggles

Comment

I was thinken of Wolfe in 2nd. My bad.
                        There you go thicken again happens every time.

Let's hope they can get Wolfe resigned next year also

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                          There you go thicken again happens every time.

Let's hope they can get Wolfe resigned next year also
                          Won't do that again. Yes too Wolfe if he performs.
                          Dr. Giggles

Comment

Not sure what to expect from him as he is a grinder just keeps on going do not expect a load of sacks but his run D is good.

Comment

Wolfe is extremely talented. I'm excited to see him in a slant attack system that has him attacking less athletic guards. Plus another year removed from his injury will help. Wolfe is a big reason Elway was just fine letting Knighton walk.
                              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Working...
                              X