Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This could be extremely good news for Broncos Defense: Sylvester Williams, finally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
    Wolfe is extremely talented. I'm excited to see him in a slant attack system that has him attacking less athletic guards. Plus another year removed from his injury will help. Wolfe is a big reason Elway was just fine letting Knighton walk.
    I am in a conundrum with Wolfe. I want him to break out and really help put this D over the top, but I don't want him to price himself out of Denver come contact time.

However, I'm not going to go there as Garfield and I have crunched numbers to others nauseum.
    Dr. Giggles

Comment

Originally posted by drgiggles View Post
      I am in a conundrum with Wolfe. I want him to break out and really help put this D over the top, but I don't want him to price himself out of Denver come contact time.

However, I'm not going to go there as Garfield and I have crunched numbers to others nauseum.
      We have a serious amount of cap starting next year, especially after Manning retires or is cut. I also think a lot of this years FA class was not brought back so they could concentrate on next years class.
      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by drgiggles View Post

Interesting viewpoint. I must not be looking far enough ahead. Because i could care less about his contract next year.

I want Wolfe and every Bronco player to play to his full potential, dominate his position and put up ridiculous numbers. That should translate into wins. I would rather a player have a huge impact and then have to either pay him or let him go elsewhere then have him be mediocre. Use DT is a prime example this year.

I'll worry about next year's contract issues next year.

I am optimistic about this d-line. Different coaches and a more aggressive system should have several of these guys thriving . I expect big years from Williams, Wolfe and Jackson. If they can create some havoc in the middle the outside rushers can cause all kinds of disruption.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
          Interesting viewpoint. I must not be looking far enough ahead. Because i could care less about his contract next year.

I want Wolfe and every Bronco player to play to his full potential, dominate his position and put up ridiculous numbers. That should translate into wins. I would rather a player have a huge impact and then have to either pay him or let him go elsewhere then have him be mediocre. Use DT is a prime example this year.

I'll worry about next year's contract issues next year.

I am optimistic about this d-line. Different coaches and a more aggressive system should have several of these guys thriving . I expect big years from Williams, Wolfe and Jackson. If they can create some havoc in the middle the outside rushers can cause all kinds of disruption.
          I am very excited to see Jackson and Williams....Havoc.
          Dr. Giggles

Comment

Williams made himself a first round pick by being quick off the snap and penetrating in college, Denver drafted him and he was asked to play a 2 gap style where he needed to take on blocks and read and react, this wasn't a great fit for him. It's not a surprise that he would become a better player going back to the style of defense that he previously excelled in.

Williams is the prototypical penetrating 1 gap tackle. He's going into his 3rd year and now has one of the best defensive line coaches in the NFL coaching him up. He's going to be a very good player for Denver this season, assuming he stays healthy.

Wolfe is a tweener, he can play either style of defense, his numbers in the 2 gap system weren't off the charts, but he did his job and did it well. I expect we'll see the same in the 1 gap defense, except I think his numbers will be a little more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              Williams made himself a first round pick by being quick off the snap and penetrating in college, Denver drafted him and he was asked to play a 2 gap style where he needed to take on blocks and read and react, this wasn't a great fit for him. It's not a surprise that he would become a better player going back to the style of defense that he previously excelled in.

Williams is the prototypical penetrating 1 gap tackle. He's going into his 3rd year and now has one of the best defensive line coaches in the NFL coaching him up. He's going to be a very good player for Denver this season, assuming he stays healthy.

Wolfe is a tweener, he can play either style of defense, his numbers in the 2 gap system weren't off the charts, but he did his job and did it well. I expect we'll see the same in the 1 gap defense, except I think his numbers will be a little more impressive.
              I think this system will fit Jackson's and Wolfe's talents much better than the previous one. I think they will both do very very well as DEs. There has even been talk of Jackson playing NT in pass rushing situations. Not sold on Sly yet. everyone looks good during minicamps.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                I think this system will fit Jackson's and Wolfe's talents much better than the previous one. I think they will both do very very well as DEs. There has even been talk of Jackson playing NT in pass rushing situations. Not sold on Sly yet. everyone looks good during minicamps.
                I agree with you about Jackson, I think he's a better 1 gap player than a 2 gap player, he's always getting penetration on pass rush plays, and generally pass rush situations are always 1 gap.

Too much is made by people about 3-4 v 4-3 because, as I've gone on before 1 gap v 2 gap means more, and in pass rush situations teams will switch their personnel and usually become a 4-2-5 in nickel and a 4-1-6 in dime. One exception to this is under Dennis Allen, the Broncos played some 3-3-5 nickel.

Based on his pass rush skills, playing Jackson as a 1 technique in these situations is a good idea. Assuming Shane Ray develops, I think we could see him, Jackson, Miller and Ware in some combinations as the 4 linemen. But in doing so I think we'll see them move Miller around quite a bit in order to stress the protection as they try to figure out where he is and how the double teams will work. They could also run all sorts of stunts from that. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Ware, Jackson, Williams and Ray as the 4 linemen and then Miller as the backer and changing where he's coming from. With those 4 players Denver can have some fun with how they line them up, and how they will let them loose on pass rush.

I understand your trepidation about Williams, based on his first 2 years, it's warranted. For me, I look at the change in scheme, the new position coach, the new coordinator, the fact he's going into his 3rd year and the reports and I see reason for excitement. This is ultimately his make or break year, I am hoping that this is the year we see the NFL player he can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  I agree with you about Jackson, I think he's a better 1 gap player than a 2 gap player, he's always getting penetration on pass rush plays, and generally pass rush situations are always 1 gap.

Too much is made by people about 3-4 v 4-3 because, as I've gone on before 1 gap v 2 gap means more, and in pass rush situations teams will switch their personnel and usually become a 4-2-5 in nickel and a 4-1-6 in dime. One exception to this is under Dennis Allen, the Broncos played some 3-3-5 nickel.

Based on his pass rush skills, playing Jackson as a 1 technique in these situations is a good idea. Assuming Shane Ray develops, I think we could see him, Jackson, Miller and Ware in some combinations as the 4 linemen. But in doing so I think we'll see them move Miller around quite a bit in order to stress the protection as they try to figure out where he is and how the double teams will work. They could also run all sorts of stunts from that. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Ware, Jackson, Williams and Ray as the 4 linemen and then Miller as the backer and changing where he's coming from. With those 4 players Denver can have some fun with how they line them up, and how they will let them loose on pass rush.

I understand your trepidation about Williams, based on his first 2 years, it's warranted. For me, I look at the change in scheme, the new position coach, the new coordinator, the fact he's going into his 3rd year and the reports and I see reason for excitement. This is ultimately his make or break year, I am hoping that this is the year we see the NFL player he can be.
                  agreed.

If Sly, or someone, steps up and plays NT well, this defense could have an outstanding year. I think it's very possible they have to carry the team this coming season considering Manning's age and the status of the Oline.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                    agreed.

I think it's very possible they have to carry the team this coming season considering Manning's age and the status of the Oline.
                    The Defense has the ability to and if there is any running game Manning "should" remain healthy deep into a run.
                    Dr. Giggles

Comment

We really have the potential to have one of the best DLs in the NFL. A lot of things need to reach a higher level then they have been in the past but the potential is definately there.

Hope Elway has the problem of trying to figure out a way to resign both Malik and Wolfe to bigger contracts because they played lights out.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

You can't evaluate a player with no pads and helmet, we will wait and see how he does when it is time to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X