Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emmanuel Sanders says cheating should negate Patriots' Super Bowl win

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emmanuel Sanders says cheating should negate Patriots' Super Bowl win

    Emmanuel Sanders says cheating should negate Patriots' Super Bowl win.

    ESPN.com news services

    Count Emmanuel Sanders among those who think the punishment the New England Patriots received as a result of last postseason's deflated football scandal should have been much more severe.

    Speaking to a group of kids Thursday at a Denver-area football camp, the Denver Broncos breakout wide receiver said he thinks Denver's chief AFC rival should not be recognized as Super Bowl champion after the team's alleged role in altering the pressure of game balls in New England's 45-7 win over the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship Game on Jan. 18.


    Emmanuel Sanders thinks the Patriots should have received a much harsher Deflategate punishment: the stripping of their Super Bowl XLIX win. Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
    When Sanders was asked by a camper if he was mad about the scandal, he said, according to NBC 9News, "Yeah, yeah, I'm kind of mad. I don't think that they [New England] should be the Super Bowl champion this year."

    Sanders, who thrived in conjunction with Peyton Manning after joining the Broncos as a free agent, continued by reinforcing to the group that cheating should never be rewarded, especially in lieu of hard work.

    "You aren't supposed to cheat," Sanders said. "Cheating is not good, especially when you've got guys who are working they're butts off for 365 days out of the year and one person cheats -- whether it helps them win the Super Bowl or not, they still cheated and shouldn't be a champion."

    The NFL levied against the Patriots a punishment of a $1 million fine and the forfeiture of two draft picks -- including a 2016 first-rounder -- while quarterback Tom Brady, whose alleged involvement in the scandal surpassed the team's, was given a four-game suspension. Brady's appeal of the suspension was heard by commissioner Roger Goodell in New York on Tuesday.

    Sanders and the Broncos bowed out to the Colts in the AFC divisional playoffs a week before the title game in which the deflated footballs were discovered.
    Last edited by drgiggles; 06-25-2015, 09:07 PM.
    Dr. Giggles

  • #2
    So is this a statement we want to make publicly? I think so...especially in the context Sanders was in, speaking to a group of kids. Too many times in today's society (sports and otherwise), we celebrate a win at all costs attitude. Look at Barry Bonds who is still considered the home run king even though his roid use is unquestionable. Sanders comments may make kids realize the ends don't justify the means (or at least they shouldn't) and if it was determined the Pats cheated to get to the SB, why in the world should they be able to keep the SB championship title?
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

    Comment


    • #3
      What do you mean we? I didn't make it.
      sigpic
      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
        So is this a statement we want to make publicly? I think so...especially in the context Sanders was in, speaking to a group of kids. Too many times in today's society (sports and otherwise), we celebrate a win at all costs attitude. Look at Barry Bonds who is still considered the home run king even though his roid use is unquestionable. Sanders comments may make kids realize the ends don't justify the means (or at least they shouldn't) and if it was determined the Pats cheated to get to the SB, why in the world should they be able to keep the SB championship title?
        I agree, and it's a good thing that Emmanuel Sanders took a stand and spoke to the youth about values. A courageous act on his part.

        By the way, even Mr. Robot thinks the same.
        HE>i

        Comment


        • #5
          Taking a tough stand looks good until Manning gets investigated for what he has done to the balls(if anything besides scraping off the sheen). Would Sanders say the same thing if it was Manning instead of Brady? How many Broncos fans would be on their soap box if it was the Broncos instead of the Patriots?

          The Wells report basically ignored the science and focused on some questionable texts. How many of us would be happy about that if it was our team?
          You're Wrong!
          Recognize That You're Wrong!
          Move On

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with the point he was trying to make. Not so much with the way he seemed to present it though
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Good points broncolee and Dennis1960. I agree with both of you and this why I posed the question. Kudos, both intelligent answers. Broncolee, yes I am extaticaly glad it was the Patsies and hope this never happens to us.
              Dr. Giggles

              Comment


              • #8
                I think he's 100% correct and I have no problem with it...If they cheated to get to where they were it should be taken away and awarded to the next team up. By not taking the Superbowl away you justify their cheating. What is to stop them from doing it again since they know that despite whatever punishment they have to endure they still get to be world champions?

                By leaving them with the win, they essentially accomplished their goal, the punishment itself is small fries compared to being the champs.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cheating is never good and should always be punished. However, I view this as similar to a baseball player using a corked bat. The player is punished and rightfully so, but the team's accomplishments shouldn't be called into question.
                  A book I wrote

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                    I think he's 100% correct and I have no problem with it...If they cheated to get to where they were it should be taken away and awarded to the next team up. By not taking the Superbowl away you justify their cheating. What is to stop them from doing it again since they know that despite whatever punishment they have to endure they still get to be world champions?

                    By leaving them with the win, they essentially accomplished their goal, the punishment itself is small fries compared to being the champs.
                    Let me add it was not ony Brady that had an advantage of a soft ball. The recievers catching the ball, as well as Rbs being ale to hold on to it while running with it.

                    Some one had a post showing their fumble rate was drastically lower for several years.

                    So not only did Brady cheat so did anyone that touched the softer balls.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CTM View Post
                      Cheating is never good and should always be punished. However, I view this as similar to a baseball player using a corked bat. The player is punished and rightfully so, but the team's accomplishments shouldn't be called into question.
                      A corked bat is not the baseball equivalent to a deflated football.

                      A player with a corked bat is trying to gain a competitive advantage (though any serious advantage is debatable). The bat doors not affect how the opposing team fields the ball and unless everybody of the team is using the bat, only one player is affected.

                      A football that is deflated is easier to grip, an advantage to the QB as well as any receivers or RBs who might also handle the ball on the same play. The advantage gained is also in direct proportion to a disadvantage the defense earns as a result, I.e., less forced fumbles, drops, qb able to be more accurate on the run if flushed from the pocket.

                      So it isn't just a single instance where an advantage is gained but throughout the whole play. With the bat the advantage (again debatable) is only at bat and nowhere else.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                        A corked bat is not the baseball equivalent to a deflated football.

                        A player with a corked bat is trying to gain a competitive advantage (though any serious advantage is debatable). The bat doors not affect how the opposing team fields the ball and unless everybody of the team is using the bat, only one player is affected.

                        A football that is deflated is easier to grip, an advantage to the QB as well as any receivers or RBs who might also handle the ball on the same play. The advantage gained is also in direct proportion to a disadvantage the defense earns as a result, I.e., less forced fumbles, drops, qb able to be more accurate on the run if flushed from the pocket.

                        So it isn't just a single instance where an advantage is gained but throughout the whole play. With the bat the advantage (again debatable) is only at bat and nowhere else.
                        You're missing a lot of components that go into a football play. Offensive line work: not reliant on a football. Receiver running routes: not reliant on a football. I think it's debatable how much of an advantage is really gained from deflating a football to the extent it was done. Again, Pats/Brady broke the rule, were punished proportionately to the crime, that should be the end of it. It doesn't discredit their achievement this past season.

                        That would be like if a receiver was about to run by a defender before a pass and the defender just grabbed him to prevent it. Dirty play? Yes. Within the rules? No. Punishment administered? Yes. Legitimacy of team's victory called into question? Absolutely not.

                        The larger point also is that one person is responsible for the football's conditions: the quarterback. Should the offensive line be punished and stripped of a win because of something they had nothing to do with? Defense as well?
                        A book I wrote

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          At some point you have to acknowledge it is a team sport where you win and you lose as a team. Some infractions are obviously not worth such a serious consequence but some should, especially if there are mitigating factors such as non-cooperation.

                          I don't think they should be stripped of their title but lie Mark Maguire and Sammy Sosa, et . al, I think they deserve the blemish that their title contains.

                          What I would have preferred was the NFL to deal with this and things like this sooner than later. Maybe the regular season can handle them dragging their feet but the playoffs are so much different. Perhaps they'll institute new procedures that will assess this in the future.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good for Sanders. He is attempting to set some ethical standards with a group of youth. More adults should have the strength of character to do the same. Especially in something as simple as the world of sports. In everyday life the lines are blurred and it can get difficult.

                            If this was Manning I would be just as critical. Same as I have been with Miller, Ray's issues, Ward being an idiot at a bar, Prater failing his mandated test or the front office getting DUI's.

                            I love the corked bat analogy. I also believe it is relevant. Brady was caught using tampered with equipment. He should have been suspended for the next game. Yes, the SB. All the other conspiracy and bribery issues with the equipment managers should have been additional suspensions and fines.

                            Same as if a pitcher was caught doctoring a ball or a batter using a corked bat in game 6 of the World Series. He is not playing game 7.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I guess I'm in the minority. While his heart was in a good place with the youth and preaching the issue of good sportsmanship, I don't think he should've mentioned any team in particular. there was no need to speak on the Patsy's business, so bluntly. That could easily be us this season, then he looks every bit the fool.
                              #swapping

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X