Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas' mother commuted

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thomas' mother commuted

    On Monday, President Barack Obama announced that he was commuting the sentences of 46 drug offenders.

    Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas' mother was one of the 46, according to the Denver Post's Nicki Jhabvala. Thomas' mom, Katina Smith, has been in federal prison since 2000 for drug trafficking, but Jhabvala reported that she'll be released Nov. 10. Smith was originally sentenced to serve 24 years, along with Thomas' grandmother, Minnie Pearl Smith.

    “These men and women were not violent criminals, but the overwhelming majority had been sentenced to at least 20 years; 14 of them had been sentenced to life for nonviolent drug offenses, so their punishments didn’t fit the crime,” Obama said in a video on the White House Facebook page, via The New York Times. “I believe that America, at its heart, is a nation of second chances, and I believe these folks deserve their second chance.”

    Smith went to prison just a couple months after Thomas' 12th birthday and missed the growth of his football career. Back when Thomas was preparing for Super Bowl VLVIII, he opened up about his family situation and how he was still inspired to make his mother and grandmother proud.

    “They drive me more to know that they’re there and they’re watching me,” Thomas said, via Pro Football Talk. “I try to go out there and play my best because they’re going to talk about it to the people in the jailhouse.”

    Thomas' story and his dream of his family reuniting was also featured on ESPN in 2013.
    http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Demary...bama--38185780

  • #2
    That's good news for DT.

    You should see the reaction to this on Facebook. The positive ones are very positive. The negative ones are just downright scary; most of them being vitriol against Obama.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
      That's good news for DT.

      You should see the reaction to this on Facebook. The positive ones are very positive. The negative ones are just downright scary; most of them being vitriol against Obama.
      Reading the comments on any news story these days is kind of bizarre; much more so than this site.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Reading the comments on any news story these days is kind of bizarre; much more so than this site.
        Yeah, I always seem to make that mistake. One day I'll learn.
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

        Comment


        • #5
          This is good for DT. Seems really strange to me though. Still a ton of non-violent weed smokers and dealers in prison, yet this woman (who was busted multiple times for dealing and using coke) gets out scot-free.
          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know a lot about this ... I'm sure DT is sincerely happy about this, I hope it is the right decision.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              No matter what I feel about how much money he's asking for, this is good news and I'm happy for him!
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I may need to read the back story again but wasn't the DA hard against his mother and grandmother because they would not flip against other people?

                While I do agree drugs is not directly a violent crime I do think it brings violence more then any other "non-violent" crime.

                Not sure how I feel about this but I know I do agree on second chances. Also it will be nice for his mother to go see him play in a game. Hopefully it works out and does not bring chaos into DT's life.
                Let's Ride!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  I may need to read the back story again but wasn't the DA hard against his mother and grandmother because they would not flip against other people?

                  While I do agree drugs is not directly a violent crime I do think it brings violence more then any other "non-violent" crime.

                  Not sure how I feel about this but I know I do agree on second chances. Also it will be nice for his mother to go see him play in a game. Hopefully it works out and does not bring chaos into DT's life.
                  Yes, his mother was given an opportunity to testify against her mother, his grandmother, but she refused. Thus, they both were given 20 years I believe. She has served 10 I think.

                  One of the reasons why I'm surprised about DT wanting so much is because he stated that all he wanted was enough to purchase land in order to build a large house so his family could live together and heal and recover.

                  Edit: They just re-aired part of the 30 for 30 story on this. His grandmother was actually given 40 years as she was the main dealer and his mother was given 20 years for being the bookkeeper or sorts. His mother will be released November 10th.
                  Last edited by broncoslover115; 07-14-2015, 03:49 PM.
                  Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wonder if Elway somehow made this happen to offset the contract DT desires?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
                      I wonder if Elway somehow made this happen to offset the contract DT desires?
                      You mean like the all powerful Oz, oh I mean man, behind the curtain? I like it!
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can always get behind someone getting a second chance. Forgiveness is a wonderful thing.
                        People often forget that and lose site of that, which is sad.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                          I can always get behind someone getting a second chance. Forgiveness is a wonderful thing.
                          People often forget that and lose site of that, which is sad.
                          It sure is Remedy. Forgiveness is a wonderful and healing thing. Sounds like she served half her sentence. It will be fantastic when she finally gets to see him play in person. Her first game she will see will be against the Chiefs.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            She'll be out on the 10th and we play KC on the 15th............. Gonna be a long day for that KC secondary. I see an epic game, as that will be the first time she will ever see him play in person. I can see him putting up numbers like he did against Arizona or Pittsburg. He just migh shatter the single game yardage record!!!!

                            But seriously, I'm happy for him. This is something he's been waiting for, for almost all his life. Good thing he can let her put her feet up and just enjoy the ride he's on!
                            #swapping

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                              She'll be out on the 10th and we play KC on the 15th............. Gonna be a long day for that KC secondary. I see an epic game, as that will be the first time she will ever see him play in person. I can see him putting up numbers like he did against Arizona or Pittsburg. He just migh shatter the single game yardage record!!!!

                              But seriously, I'm happy for him. This is something he's been waiting for, for almost all his life. Good thing he can let her put her feet up and just enjoy the ride he's on!
                              ...if he's even on the team. There's been no contact between his agent and the broncos for a while.
                              :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X