Demaryius Thomas eyes big goals in yards, bigger role in leadership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demaryius Thomas eyes big goals in yards, bigger role in leadership

I was reading the T-Renk article in today's DP, about DT pursuing 2k... When I stumbled upon the following blurb (and felt sick to my stomach):

"As the longest-tenured Bronco with left tackle Ryan Clady sidelined by injury, Thomas welcomes a larger leadership role after serving as a co-captain last season. He said he should have been more assertive last season when he heard teammates grousing about playing in the cold weather in New England if the Broncos had beaten the Indianapolis Colts in the playoffs."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...record-broncos

Words cannot describe how angry this makes me feel, and how wrong it is on so many levels...

I was perturbed that our HC was already leaking stories about his "next move" (insinuating that he could move on if the team lost to Indy)... Not exactly a "win 1 for the gipper" motivational tactic... We also had both coordinators w/ 1 foot out the door...

But... The nerve of some guys, if true, that some players might've checked out before the game... mainly because they didn't want to play in the cold the next week! Do they not understand the high probability of this occurring in the NFL playoffs?

I just knew when BAL blew the 14 point lead... TWICE... And then the Holy Flacco tossed that soul-crushing INT ... It sealed our fate...

Is this what happened in those frigid temps vs Bal? In the SB in NY? Did those 2 cold wx games damage some of our players psychologically? Or, did we just have some softies on the roster?

DT also admitted:

"I watched some games I played, and there were some where I took a play or two off and missed a couple of blocks. If I have to take a play off, I should get out. Not having drops and not taking plays off, if I do that it will make everyone around me better," Thomas said. "So far we haven't gotten the Super Bowl. We still have work to do. I look forward to getting that before I am done."
    Last edited by fraguela09; 07-18-2015, 09:29 PM.

that is really on our coaching. more proof during the season the slit between brass and coaches were widening.

good to see DT calling himself out. only shows he knows his role going forward and he is really in a position of leadership.

Comment

I was impressed that he took responsibility for taking that play off. And we all know exactly which play it was too. For him to own up goes a long way to me.

When it comes to 'not being in the mood' to go to NE for a playoff game. .......... no explanation will or can rationalize the disposition. I can understand being bummed about failing to get HFA and maybe blurting out something you don't mean in the heat of that discovery. I think this was much later in time though. It was very disappointing.

Someone said that quote spoken to DT wouldn't have been spoken to DT if the person thought DT would have straightened him out on that kind of talk. In other words they expected DT to nod in approval and agreement. Based on DT's laid back attitude, I could see that happening too. So I expect even if DT didn't say it, he was on board with that line of thinking. As he said though it's just that kind of thing that he'll have to change and set the proper example should that kind of behavior surface around him again.

A Pro Football player shouldn't EVER say he's not in the mood to play an AFCCG - no matter where it is.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I'd give my left arm to go play in the cold @NE in he AFCCG....after the game, of course.
        Dr. Giggles

Comment

He tried at first to softly tiptoe around that play, but props to him for owning it. That really impressed the hell out of me. When's the last time you saw a player take ownership like that? Free of the cliche and disingenuous crap we normally get.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I am looking forward to this season and my excitement keeps me from dwelling on the negatives of last year. With the new coaching staff there is a new opportunity-- let's enjoy that and see what it brings.

If we start seeing lackluster play and indifference we can look forward to the culprit being removed as there is really not one position where we do not have another choice.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              He tried at first to softly tiptoe around that play, but props to him for owning it. That really impressed the hell out of me. When's the last time you saw a player take ownership like that? Free of the cliche and disingenuous crap we normally get.
              Absolutely! DT's presser really impressed me too. I'm excited for him and our team this year.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

If I was Kubiak I would have a private meeting with DT to find out who these players were that didn't want to play the next round in the playoffs because it was cold. Then if I was Kubiak I would call each one of them in my office and ask them if they had what it takes to be a professional football player.

I would tell them that I found out what was said last year and I want to know if I can count on you to play to win no matter what. We do not have room for players that only want to play in fair weather conditions and do not want to play to win it all.

It is possible that some of the players we let go were part of the problem which is why they are gone. Based on what JT showed us about playing injured it wouldn't surprise me that he was one that said those things which is why the Broncos didn't even try to re-sign him.

I don't want those types of players on my team. I want players with heart and will give everything they have to win.
                sigpic
                Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                  If I was Kubiak I would have a private meeting with DT to find out who these players were that didn't want to play the next round in the playoffs because it was cold. Then if I was Kubiak I would call each one of them in my office and ask them if they had what it takes to be a professional football player.

I would tell them that I found out what was said last year and I want to know if I can count on you to play to win no matter what. We do not have room for players that only want to play in fair weather conditions and do not want to play to win it all.

It is possible that some of the players we let go were part of the problem which is why they are gone. Based on what JT showed us about playing injured it wouldn't surprise me that he was one that said those things which is why the Broncos didn't even try to re-sign him.

I don't want those types of players on my team. I want players with heart and will give everything they have to win.
                  You want to create an atmosphere where players cannot trust each other?

So as soon as something happens Kubiak calls in somebody and get them to spill the beans. You end up with tattle-tales and create a divisive environment. That might not be the best thing for the locker room but I get what you are driving at.

Perhaps better is to pull DT aside and encourage him to be a more vocal leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                    You want to create an atmosphere where players cannot trust each other?

So as soon as something happens Kubiak calls in somebody and get them to spill the beans. You end up with tattle-tales and create a divisive environment. That might not be the best thing for the locker room but I get what you are driving at.

Perhaps better is to pull DT aside and encourage him to be a more vocal leader.
                    Exactly my first thought. No way do I put my best reciever whom I'm hoping will also take some leadership roll in the locker room in that position. That in itself could end up causing way more of a problem then you already have. I would probably have a private meeting with my team leaders and then an open one with the whole team and send some messages about the new attitudes and direction of the team. But my guess is he already has.
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Del Rio always claimed the cold weather was bad for the highlights in his hair..... Everthing makes sense now about not meeting half time adjustments. How did I not see this sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                        good to see DT calling himself out. only shows he knows his role going forward and he is really in a position of leadership.
                        Doesn't surprise me...remember during the super disaster vs Seattle, DT never gave up and set the record for SB catches
                        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                          Del Rio always claimed the cold weather was bad for the highlights in his hair..... Everthing makes sense now about not meeting half time adjustments. How did I not see this sooner.
                          Hey, give the guy a break. He needed the time during halftime to touchup those highlights cause his roots were showing.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                            that is really on our coaching. more proof during the season the slit between brass and coaches were widening.

I agree this kind of thing falls directly on coaching for setting

IMO Fox not only allows his team to be soft in fact he encourages it with coaching decisions on a regular basis.
                            Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post

That was last year with a different coaching staff, I think it's best to go forward with a fresh start, what happened last year is done.

With that being said I think it's also time the Broncos (Kubiak and Company) install a mental toughness into the team, it doesn't matter who you play or where you play them from the opening kickoff you're going to show them that they're the wrong team in the wrong place at the wrong time. And that lasts for 60 minutes, whether it's starters, backups or third stringers, they're going to go out there and physically knock down their opponent over and over again, until the final whistle, at that point, you shake their hands, wish them the best of luck next week and move on to the next game.

You can't undo what happened last year, the only thing you can do is tell them that this is how we're doing things now, you're either a part of it and you buy in 100% or you're not and you'll be traded or released.

Oh and the last message is an easy one, if you don't want to go to Foxboro to play in January, win your games in September thru December so that you don't have to go there, it's simple math.

Comment

Working...
                              X