Jake Long expected to visit Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    When the hitting begins on Sunday, I expect that Chris Clark will become a backup LT within a week, and that RT will be between Michael Schofield and Ryan Harris. IDK if Ryan Harris can down block. I hope Michael Schofield can.
    Harris was great for us years ago till McDaniels sent him packing. I don't know what he is like now but I would think he could win the right tackle job
    sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
      Harris was great for us years ago till McDaniels sent him packing. I don't know what he is like now but I would think he could win the right tackle job
      It just depends. When the Broncos won SB XXXII & XXXIII, they were a pure 100% zone blocking O-Line that ran Alex Gibbs' Zone Series which is about five plays.

The last time Kubiak was coaching in Denver in 2005 and Dennison was the O-Line coach, I'm pretty sure their rushing attack was still 100% zone steps.

Ryan Harris played under Rick Dennison in Denver 2007-2010. The rushing attack may have still been pure zone in '07-'08, but after Shanahan, in '09-'10, it was mostly angle blocking. He got hurt in 2009 and only started 8 games. He started 10 games in 2010.

Do you remember how well he played in 2009-10? I can't remember clearly. Denver ranked right in the middle of the league in rushing in 2009. In 2010 they were near the bottom.

Kubiak and Dennison have said that, like most NFL teams, they will use both zone steps and angle blocks in their rushing attack. If this is true, the Right Offensive Tackle must be able to consistently deliver an authoritative down block.

I don't know if Ryan Harris can do that. I'm pretty sure Chris Clark can't. If he could, he wouldn't have been benched after six games last year. I hope Michael Schofield can down block. I have no worries about Ryan Harris as a pass blocker or a zone blocker.

We shall see.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
      X