Von out of the league's drug program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    I hope people judge you as harshly as you are judging him right now if you ever make a mistake in life...People can learn and change. I normally find myself agreeing with you, but in this instance get off your high horse man.

I know plenty of people who have kicked the drug habit, I have no reason to doubt until proven otherwise that Von won't as well. It's absolutely shameful the amount of judgemental people there are whenever one of our players screw up... Von has gotten a second chance and thus far he's doing well with it. Rather than accusing him of figuring out how to not get caught with no evidence that points to this being the case, let's just support him until proven otherwise.
    I'm not judging him. I'm just saying, there's little reason, probably no reason, to believe he will stop smoking pot. He almost undoubtedly knows players who smoke and haven't been caught. That is his likely avenue of choice, unless he believes he's an addict and truly wants to quit. I doubt he believes he's an addict, but if he does, I hope he has decided to kick the habit.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
      I'm not judging him. I'm just saying, there's little reason, probably no reason, to believe he will stop smoking pot. He almost undoubtedly knows players who smoke and haven't been caught. That is his likely avenue of choice, unless he believes he's an addict and truly wants to quit. I doubt he believes he's an addict, but if he does, I hope he has decided to kick the habit.
      So you know him personally? Because that's a lot of assumptions about a guy you've probably never even met.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks to clean record for the last two years and a revamped NFL drug policy, Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller has been discharged from the league's drug program and will no longer be subject to multiple tests a week, an NFL source confirmed.

Miller was suspended six games in 2013 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy and was placed in Stage 3 of its intervention program.

But he tested clean each time for the last two years.

With the old drug policy it wouldn't have mattered. He would have remained in the program for the rest of his career.

But last September the league and union agreed to a revised policy that allowed players in Stage 3 who have had no failed tests in 24 months to be eligible for discharge.
        http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...s-drug-program

Have a great season Miller and get paid.

P.S.
        I glad the nfl improved its terrible drug policy.

Comment

For someone who says you're not judging him, you sure are judging him.

I would hate to see what it looks like when you actually set out to judge someone. Yikes!
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Chances are the stuff we can take to pass a piss test would not pass in the NFL. There are so many banned substances in the NFL that just about everything has something in it that would be frowned upon in the league. Pot is one of the easier substances to quit as it is not physically addictive. In either case it is good for both Von and the Broncos that he is no longer in the program. The Broncos don't want to worry if Von will slip up regardless of his price tag. I fell they would rather pay him good money and not have to worry, than to get him discounted and have to worry.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
              Much more strict? You kidding? They test positive for a banned substance once it gets brushed under the rug and they're just tested more often... I test positive for a banned substance once I'm in the unemployment line...

I miss work because I got arrested for a violent offense, I'm fired, not suspended for four days... I wouldn't say they're more strict at all, I'd say they're frankly rather forgiving employers.
              How many times have you been tested ever? I work with people who get tested maybe once a year and that is because they work on aircraft parts. I have not been tested in 10 years.

When it the last time the media reported on the legal issues of someone you worked with (no work missed just reports!) and they got suspended without pay for 1 week - 4 weeks? I have only seen something like that in the military and not in 20 years of non-military work.

What do we usually see...someone misses a day with work because of "personal issues"...they use paid time off...come back to work the next day and most bosses will not even question too much about it because of fear of getting sued. Well a worker can willing give info if they want but that is on them...most people I have worked with tell their bosses nothing.

I like most of what the commish is doing but be real...the NFL players are under more rules and strict conditions then most people see.

Yea before the current commish I think A LOT got swept under the rug from the time players were in high school all the through the NFL and even after their playing careers were done. That is the past though...maybe there is a little bit left (Big Ben!) of that but it is going away quickly.
              Last edited by Hadez; 08-03-2015, 08:11 AM.
              Let's Ride!

Comment

The NFL's substance abuse policy isn't as strict as they want people to believe. It's really just a "stupid" test. It only exists to placate the masses and Congress. It's not supposed to catch anyone because players are supposed to be smart enough to avoid being caught. There's only a short window of time when they are tested each year. Once a player is tested during that window, he can do whatever drugs he wants to until the next year. He can light up a fat one while driving home from the testing facility.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  How many times have you been tested ever? I work with people who get tested maybe once a year and that is because they work on aircraft parts. I have not been tested in 10 years.

When it the last time the media reported on the legal issues of someone you worked with (no work missed just reports!) and they got suspended without pay for 1 week - 4 weeks? I have only seen something like that in the military and not in 20 years of non-military work.

What do we usually see...someone misses a day with work because of "personal issues"...they use paid time off...come back to work the next day and most bosses will not even question too much about it because of fear of getting sued. Well a worker can willing give info if they want but that is on them...most people I have worked with tell their bosses nothing.

I like most of what the commish is doing but be real...the NFL players are under more rules and strict conditions then most people see.

Yea before the current commish I think A LOT got swept under the rug from the time players were in high school all the through the NFL and even after their playing careers were done. That is the past though...maybe there is a little bit left (Big Ben!) of that but it is going away quickly.
                  I've worked at my company 6 years. I got tested at hire and never since. I actually have to side with you, while acknowledging that some of his points are valid.
                  sigpic

Comment

The NFL's substance abuse policy isn't as strict as they want people to believe. It's really just a "stupid" test. It only exists to placate the masses and Congress. It's not supposed to catch anyone because players are supposed to be smart enough to avoid being caught. There's only a short window of time when they are tested each year. Once a player is tested during that window, he can do whatever drugs he wants to until the next year. He can light up a fat one while driving home from the testing facility.
                    It could be more strict (anything could be better in theory crafting) but I would guess the NFL testing is more strict then 99% of the working situations most Americans work in and which sports system besides the Olymipics has more strict standards than the NFL?

There will always be holes as it is easier to make the drugs then test for them but I do think the NFL is more aggressive then most employers and personally I do not even feel like that is a close arguement.

When compared to other sports like Baseball the NFL is the Golden Standard even if the Olymipics are the Platinum Standard.
                    Let's Ride!

Comment

It could be more strict (anything could be better in theory crafting) but I would guess the NFL testing is more strict then 99% of the working situations most Americans work in and which sports system besides the Olymipics has more strict standards than the NFL?

There will always be holes as it is easier to make the drugs then test for them but I do think the NFL is more aggressive then most employers and personally I do not even feel like that is a close arguement.

When compared to other sports like Baseball the NFL is the Golden Standard even if the Olymipics are the Platinum Standard.
                      My point is, the NFL doesn't want to catch players using recreational drugs. That's why it's so easy to avoid getting caught. The only way to get caught is to fail the "stupid" test.

I don't have a problem with that. However, people need to realize, there's no real incentive for Miller to quit smoking pot, unless he believes he's an addict and wants to quit.
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I heard on thefan today that not only is Von out of the program now, but should he relapse, he does not automatically jump back up to where he left off in the program ............ he starts BACK at SQUARE ONE.

So, this is nothing but good news for all involved - except Broncos salary cap maybe
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

My point is, the NFL doesn't want to catch players using recreational drugs. That's why it's so easy to avoid getting caught. The only way to get caught is to fail the "stupid" test.

I don't have a problem with that. However, people need to realize, there's no real incentive for Miller to quit smoking pot, unless he believes he's an addict and wants to quit.
                          I agree there is no real incentive for someone who is not serious about football and that is where I feel Von is. I think (could be wrong, would not be first time will not be last time) he is just riding the NFL for a big pay day.

He reminds me a lot more of a Jake Plummer then a Peyton Manning....both good players but one took football a lot more seriously and will enter the HoF.
                          Let's Ride!

Comment

I agree there is no real incentive for someone who is not serious about football and that is where I feel Von is. I think (could be wrong, would not be first time will not be last time) he is just riding the NFL for a big pay day.

He reminds me a lot more of a Jake Plummer then a Peyton Manning....both good players but one took football a lot more seriously and will enter the HoF.
                            Let's just hope he's not another DJ.
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

What an odd comparison.

Comment

Jake was a gamer always was a gunslinger.

until his last year with Kubes he did not take the game all that serious then that last year off season he and lubes sat down and watch every play he made from college on and they (kubes) critiqued them and showed him where he did right or WRONG>

that next year while leading the team to the AFFCG he was at one point a few passes away from breaking a league record for passes between interceptions. that was self control.

SO he just needed the right incentive and coaching something that Shanahan was not known for.

I do not see the parallel connection between Jake and Von.

Jake kidded many times that he did not think anyone would draft him and if they did he thought that he would never make the team after being in the league and moving to Denver he was amazed they would pay him the money they did for playing a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X