X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Kubiak wants to employ bell cow running back

By Kevin Patra

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...w-running-back

The NFL is morphing into a running back-by-committee league, with the average number of attempts per season for top-10 rushers falling from 338 in 2006 to 280 last year.

Denver Broncos coach Gary Kubiak, however, insists he prefers to ride one back if he can.

"I can tell you this, I believe in the (bell cow). And I believe it's up to the player to prove he can do that. Do you need two guys in a season? You are darn right, in this league," Kubiak said Tuesday, per the Denver Post. "But I think if a guy goes out there and he shows he can play three downs, can protect the quarterback, and can handle it, then he should stay out there."

Kubiak's history backs up his statement. His zone running system in Houston and Baltimore coaxed big years from Arian Foster, Steve Slaton and Justin Forsett. Foster led the league in carries in 2012 (351). Slaton and Forsett -- not exactly viewed as workhorse backs -- each cracked the top 10 in 2008 and 2014, respectively.

The current leader in the Broncos' stable is C.J. Anderson, who last season displayed all the traits Kubiak desires.

"He has told us if you get the chance and play well, you will stay out there. My goal is to be out there all three downs," Anderson said. "That's my plan."

Of course plans rarely go as scheduled. Just a year ago the Broncos were boasting about Montee Ball, who will get a chance to swipe carries from Anderson. Denver also employs change-of-pace back Ronnie Hillman who should see some totes.
    CJ's fantasy draft value went up

I hope CJ can handle the workload as I do feel he is the most talented back in the roster.

Still with the backs we have I would prefer to give 40% of the touches to someone else so that come playoff time CJ can then be the "Bell Cow"
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    By Kevin Patra

I hope CJ can handle the workload as I do feel he is the most talented back in the roster.

Still with the backs we have I would prefer to give 40% of the touches to someone else so that come playoff time CJ can then be the "Bell Cow"
    CJ certainly has the stature to be an every down back if he shows he can pass protect at a high level. I remember Terrell Davis saying that blocking was the one thing he took most pride in as a player.

My guess is CJ can potentially be the type of guy who gets 325-350 carries, barring injury. If Ball gets about 100-125 carries then we could have a real balanced offense.

I think Elway had his best statistical year in terms of passer rating his final season when TD went for 2000. Manning should be happy to have the chance to be more efficient with defenses gearing up against the run.
    A book I wrote

Comment

By Kevin Patra

That's fantastic.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
        Manning should be happy to have the chance to be more efficient with defenses gearing up against the run.
        I just checked his combined stats in the 3 games where CJ had 25+ carries last season:

Comp: 59
        Att: 89
        %: 66
        TD: 7
        INT: 0

More importantly, the Broncos were 3-0 in those games where CJ received a bigger workload.

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
          I just checked his combined stats in the 3 games where CJ had 25+ carries last season:

More importantly, the Broncos were 3-0 in those games where CJ received a bigger workload.
          There you go. A strong rushing attack compliments the passing attack. Defending a balanced offense is more difficult.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

The headline is a strange one. I'd imagine just about every coach would like an everydown player, at every position. Simply put, a player who can do everything, allows you to do anything. From a scheme standpoint, not having to subout players in certain situations is beneficial.
            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
              The headline is a strange one. I'd imagine just about every coach would like an everydown player, at every position. Simply put, a player who can do everything, allows you to do anything. From a scheme standpoint, not having to subout players in certain situations is beneficial.
              Seems to me most coaches and teams are trying to get 2-3 backs to carry the load.

I understand your point about a every down player but I think RB is a spot where coaches view depth important as the guy gets hit probably more then anyone else.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Seems to me most coaches and teams are trying to get 2-3 backs to carry the load.

I understand your point about a every down player but I think RB is a spot where coaches view depth important as the guy gets hit probably more then anyone else.
                I think that is just the result of offenses becoming more passing oriented. I'm not saying depth isn't important, because even bell cows need breaks, but I still would be surprised to have a coach say he'd rather have 3 guys, then 1.
                What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post

This is exactly why the "Manning has zero chance of winning a SB this year" people need to just shut up and enjoy the season. Having a great running game is going to be glorious for this offense this year!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                    This is exactly why the "Manning has zero chance of winning a SB this year" people need to just shut up and enjoy the season. Having a great running game is going to be glorious for this offense this year!
                    If we run the ball like Kubes wants then PM will have his best shot to win a Super Bowl since he has been in Denver bro.

I watched it happen for Elway. It is about controlling the game and pushing our will onto the opponents....or as Vas put it

"My mentality is by the end of the fourth quarter we want to feel your soul wilt in our hands"

Comment

why not keep your best players on the field as long as you can

Comment

Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
                        I 100% agree!!!!!!!!!
                        sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                        Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                        PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Comment

If we run the ball like Kubes wants then PM will have his best shot to win a Super Bowl since he has been in Denver bro.

I watched it happen for Elway. It is about controlling the game and pushing our will onto the opponents....or as Vas put it

"My mentality is by the end of the fourth quarter we want to feel your soul wilt in our hands"
                          If you have a great defense and can pound the rock well enough to control the time of possession you don't need a HOF QB to win. When you do have a HOF QB it's like icing on the cake. People say the o-line will make or break us...The seasons is in CJ Andersons capable hands.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
                            Keep em healthy and fresh for the end of season and playoffs

Some teams do not have the depth to make this an option. Some teams have back ups who could start on other teams.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of a bell cow rbs.

IMO TD was ran into the ground and ruined his career.

Now at the time we did not have someone that could spell,him like we have today.

I'm also not a Huge fan of RBBC yes I know that is speaking with a forked tongue.

But limiting a RB to so many carries much like a pitch count. What that number is I'm not sure. But there is a certain point where they're most effencient but there is a point where they are fatigued.

Run the bell cow to that point( I'll let the coaches decide. On that point) and then send in the reliever.

IMO the RBs will be fresher later in the year this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X