X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos can afford to trade a running back

By Jon Heath@JonHeathNFL on Aug 12, 2015, 11:00a

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/8...man-nfl-trades

There are a few teams that could use more running back depth, and the Broncos have a few RBs to spare. Connect the dots as you will.

Looking over the Broncos' first depth chart, it appears that the Broncos have a crowded backfield. The team is currently carrying six RBs, and only four of them are expected to be retained. That means Denver has two expendable running backs.

It would seem a shame to cut a talented RB just because there's not room on the roster for him, so the Broncos are likely considering trade options. Accepting a conditional sixth or even seventh round pick beats simply cutting a player.

Here's a breakdown of Denver's current RB depth chart:

Starter: C.J. Anderson

Anderson gained 1,173 yards from scrimmage last season, starting the team's final seven games. He's the team's main back entering 2015, and is not a candidate to be trade.

No. 2: Montee Ball

Ball has struggled to stay healthy since joining the team, but coach Gary Kubiak spoke highly of him at training camp. He's been getting some first-team reps, but if the Broncos have confidence in their other young RBs, Ball could be viewed as expendable.

No. 3: Ronnie Hillman

Hillman played well when given opportunities last season, and he's had a good training camp. But if the Broncos feel their offense has no need for a change-of-pace RB, Hillman is a trade candidate.

No. 4: Juwan Thompson

Thompson is an up-and-coming option at RB, and he's unlikely to be traded.

No. 5: Jeremy Stewart

Denver would have a hard time finding a trading partner for Stewart.

No. 6: Kapri Bibbs

Bibbs has one year left of practice squad eligibility, and that's likely where the Broncos hope to stash him again this season. But if he plays well in preseason, there's a risk of another team signing him away. He has value as a fourth RB, but it's hard to imagine a team trying to trade for him.

Review: Ball and Hillman are really the team's only two options to trade at RB, and they may end up keeping both. But if they want to keep some kind of combination between Thompson, Stewat, and Bibbs as their final RBs, they may have to make a trade.
    The website has a poll about who we should trade. When I posted this here is what they had

55% 1091 votes Montee Ball
    34% 668 votes Ronnie Hillman
    3% 64 votes Other
    8% 155 votes No One
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

If we could trade Hillman for a pick or something, I'd do it in a second.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

I agree. I would trade Montee Ball in a hurry, but what is the value of a RB who is a fumbling machine, can't catch and is outperformed by UDFAs? Probably none. Hillman was another wasted pick, there is nothing remarkable about him either. This staff needs to do a better job evaluating RBs for the draft. The UDFAs are the best RBs on the roster.
      sigpic

Comment

I'd trade Hillman. I'm sure he has some value to other teams. This might be peak value time for a trade partner. Sell high. We can replace him in no time flat.

Comment

Ball --no---give him a chance in the new offense, he is young and I believe the injury hurt him the entire year last year

Hillman---I'd take a pic for Hillman, don't think we will need a COP back in the new offense, get whatever we can while we can
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I'd trade montee ball before Thompson or Bibbs.

Both guys can play but the rest of the league doesn't know that yet but they know how high a draft pick ball was. Picked ahead of Eddie Lacy for frying out loud.

I'd trade ball I think we could get the most value for him at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              By Jon Heath@JonHeathNFL on Aug 12, 2015, 11:00a

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/8...man-nfl-trades

The website has a poll about who we should trade. When I posted this here is what they had

55% 1091 votes Montee Ball
              34% 668 votes Ronnie Hillman
              3% 64 votes Other
              8% 155 votes No One
              Those poll numbers are exactly why I'm glad GM's don't listen to fans.
              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
                I'd trade montee ball before Thompson or Bibbs.

Both guys can play but the rest of the league doesn't know that yet but they know how high a draft pick ball was. Picked ahead of Eddie Lacy for frying out loud.

I'd trade ball I think we could get the most value for him at this point.
                You'd trade Ball, who averaged over 6 yards a carry in the last half of his rookie year and keep a UDFA who hasn't even shown he can beat out Hillman?

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                  Ball --no---give him a chance in the new offense, he is young and I believe the injury hurt him the entire year last year

Hillman---I'd take a pic for Hillman, don't think we will need a COP back in the new offense, get whatever we can while we can
                  Quinton Griffin, Steve Slaton, Tatum Bell. And we don't need a COP back in this offense?

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                    You'd trade Ball, who averaged over 6 yards a carry in the last half of his rookie year and keep a UDFA who hasn't even shown he can beat out Hillman?
                    Yea, the Montee Ball hate is kinda funny. He's had non-football related injuries that cost him a lot of time last season. He catches fine out of the backfield and is a decent blocker. If he's healthy, I want him on the team.
                    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                    sigpic

Comment

I'd trade Hillman first, but I doubt we'd get much for him...then again, I guess getting anything is better than just cutting him for nothing. As far as Ball, I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but this season - or maybe just the first half the season is all the time left for him to prove himself.
                      "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                      PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                      LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

The only way Ball or Hillman get traded is if Kubiak and Studesville think Bibbs and/or Stewart are ready to be a starter if the need presents itself. I'll be surprised if that happens, but I get surprised all the time.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I heard we wasn't too satisfied with our kickers, I know it would be a long shot due to teams having limited kickers on their squad but I would trade Hillman for a decent kicker
                          sigpic

Comment

The only way I see Ball traded, is with a great return. I doubt Hillman is moved, but if any of the others have strong pre-season performances, and the return is good I could see a move. That said, they need to put some more strong performances on tape. It would be nice if Denver could get Dallas to part ways with a guy like Ronald Leary. Their RB situation is woeful right now, and they have Collins behind Leary.
                            Last edited by the0rangecrush; 08-13-2015, 04:42 AM.
                            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

If u are going to make a trade the only one tradable is cj. No one would want anyone else. Why would a team give up something with value when they could get a guy off the street that can do what hillman and ball can do. Thompson is the one that is interesting. But I wouldn't trade him for a 6th or 7th which is all we would get.
                              Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X