Denver opens doors to former Broncos greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver opens doors to former Broncos greats

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The dismal 4-12 season in 2010 may just be the low point of Pat Bowlen's ownership of the Denver Broncos. Not only did the season set the stage for John Elway's return to the franchise, it also likely marked low tide in team's ties to its past.

Many former players said then, and recall now, that they didn't feel all that welcome around the team's complex in the two seasons Josh McDaniels coached the team. Former players were not seen at practice in those years and some photos in the team's complex of former players and coaches were removed.

Since being named the team's executive vice president of football operations in 2011, Elway and team president Joe Ellis have re-opened the doors to the former players and coaches. During John Fox's tenure as head coach, Fox often had former players speak to the team, including Terrell Davis, Rod Smith and Tom Jackson.

Wednesday, more than 30 former Broncos, including Ring of Fame members Rick Upchurch and Billy Thompson, attended practice to see a team coached by a former teammate for many in the group -- Gary Kubiak. Broncos' offensive coordinator Rick Dennison was also Broncos' linebacker for 11 years in his playing career.

"First off, a lot of great players and great friends," Kubiak said. "I was the backup quarterback, so I didn't get to play much. I obviously have stayed in touch with a lot of them ... Just to have them out there and be that excited about our football team and to share that few moments with them -- me and John [Elway] were just talking about that -- that was special. But this place has kind of always been that way. It's a tight-knit group. Mr. Bowlen's always kept it a family place. When you've been a part of it, you'll always be a part of it. That's good evidence of that right there."

Smith attended practice Tuesday and the franchise's all-time leading receiver spent time following with the player many expect to break Smith's team records if he remains healthy: Demaryius Thomas.

"I want them to know that we want them out here, we want them to be a part of what we're doing and I know that at some point during the season, we'll get to see that great team that we had back in the day," Kubiak said. "I think that's a great thing about this organization."

For many of the former players, however, this training camp, with the Broncos' airplane-hanger size indoor facility looming behind them and just one full practice a day for the current players, doesn't resemble the summer workouts they remember.

Upchurch said the Broncos' complex is so well appointed now it's "like a country club for football."

"I think anybody who played in the past says, 'oh, back in the day'," Kubiak said with a chuckle. " ... It's totally different."

http://www.chatsports.com/denver-bro...ats-1-11664014
    I support Kaepernick 100%

The McD era was one of the worst coaching eras of all teams I have seen in the NFL.

A no brainer low point since Bowlen has owned the team.

Worst move I have seen the Broncos make was hiring that fool to run this team.

Wish I could find the thread about all the incredibly dumb moves McD did...I realize maybe others made more mistakes but NO ONE made more mistakes per year coaching. Trading draft picks for players that were washed up or wasting picks on players that never contributed....trading our 1st round pick (ended up being a All Pro Safety) for a 2nd round pick....questionable starting moves....cheating...not working well with coaching staff...making former players not feel welcomed...man what a fool
    Last edited by Hadez; 08-13-2015, 08:11 AM.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
      The McD era was one of the worst coaching eras of all teams I have seen in the NFL.

Wish I could find the thread about all the incredibly dumb moves McD did...I realize maybe others made more mistakes but NO ONE made more mistakes per year coaching. Trading draft picks for players that were washed up or wasting picks on players that never contributed....trading our 1st round pick (ended up being a All Pro Safety) for a 2nd round pick....questionable starting moves....cheating...not working well with coaching staff...making former players not feel welcomed...man what a fool
      Yeah it was a mess, but without McD we wouldn't have Thomas, Miller, or Manning. Silver lining.

Comment

After he retired, there was some kind of falling out between John Elway and Mike Shanahan during which Elway said he did not feel welcome at Dove Valley. It may be this personal experience that makes him reach out and do all possible to make former Broncos feel they are still a part of it. It's good to see them back.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          After he retired, there was some kind of falling out between John Elway and Mike Shanahan during which Elway said he did not feel welcome at Dove Valley. It may be this personal experience that makes him reach out and do all possible to make former Broncos feel they are still a part of it. It's good to see them back. :logo:
          Amen to that
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I thought at the time it was a good move. Get a young new coach that had years with Belicheat and hopefully he could turn the club around. I certainly understand why the Broncos did it but as we all know the results were disastrous. I think hindsight tells us this was the worst hire of all-time but at the time it appeared to be a good idea on the surface since we were headed to the cellar.

I hate what McDummy did to our team and I am glad he was shown the door. If I was a Patriots fan and believed in conspiracies I would say that McDummy was sent here to set us back 5 years. By the time we recovered from his mess he was already back in Cheatriot land.
            sigpic
            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

for many years John E was not welcome in the locker room or on the field under Shanahan. that changed for the best

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                I thought at the time it was a good move. Get a young new coach that had years with Belicheat and hopefully he could turn the club around. I certainly understand why the Broncos did it but as we all know the results were disastrous. I think hindsight tells us this was the worst hire of all-time but at the time it appeared to be a good idea on the surface since we were headed to the cellar.

I hate what McDummy did to our team and I am glad he was shown the door. If I was a Patriots fan and believed in conspiracies I would say that McDummy was sent here to set us back 5 years. By the time we recovered from his mess he was already back in Cheatriot land.

so in your opinion BB hired him for PAt?

IF he would have had a LEGIT GM many mistakes would not have been made.

you always hire a GM before you hire a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                  I knew we were in trouble when I saw my 1st regular season game with McD as head coach. He got up in the faces of a couple of our players coming off the field and started swearing at them like a madman...totally out of control with spit flying all over the place. I remember thinking, great...we have a head coach that acts like a 7th grader...this is not good. It got worse
                  "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                  PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                  LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Working...
                  X