Sanders could be used for Punt Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    I always worry about getting wet when I swim. don't you?
    There could be sharks!
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      There could be sharks!
      Cue music....dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, Jaws!
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        Antonio Brown does it and he is one of the top WRs in the game. DeSean Jackson did it with the Eagles. I really don't see the issue. Worrying about a football player getting hurt is like worrying about a swimmer getting wet. We need better plays on special teams and, if Sanders can be a playmaker as a returner, there is no reason to hold him back.
        one of the HCs used to say..

using a starter on STs is something to do, comparing it in this manner, would you use a third string player on O or D.

So if you would not do that why would you NOT play a starter on STs.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
          one of the HCs used to say..

using a starter on STs is something to do, comparing it in this manner, would you use a third string player on O or D.

So if you would not do that why would you NOT play a starter on STs.
          I'm sorry, I'm confused by your comment. It's not computing in my brain for some reason.

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm confused by your comment. It's not computing in my brain for some reason.
            I think it has to do with how important Special Teams are. Winning the game is important and Field Position is part of the equation.

A high school with three teams (i.e., freshman, JV and Varsity) may handle STs differently for each. On a freshman team getting all your guys on the field is important, so STs will be all non-starters. JV is non-starters anyway, so many times putting a team together means everybody will play and STs kind of take care of themselves. But, Varsity must do everything possible to win, so starters often play STs.

If Denver feels Emmanuel Sanders is the best PR, then we will see him do it.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              I think it has to do with how important Special Teams are. Winning the game is important and Field Position is part of the equation.

A high school with three teams (i.e., freshman, JV and Varsity) may handle STs differently for each. On a freshman team getting all your guys on the field is important, so STs will be all non-starters. JV is non-starters anyway, so many times putting a team together means everybody will play and STs kind of take care of themselves. But, Varsity must do everything possible to win, so starters often play STs.

If Denver feels Emmanuel Sanders is the best PR, then we will see him do it.
              I didn't understand his post because of the way the sentence was constructed. But now I get the intent.

Comment

Sorry I was half asleep when I posted that one.
                Sam is correct.

It is all about field position.

The HC said " you would not play a 3rd string guy on offense when you have a starter to play, so why would you play a 3rd-4th string guy on what equates to about 25-33% of the plays in the game that STs are responsible for.

He said you always want to have the best players in the field. Even though there is some risk of injury.

Other than getting hit and getting a concussion the odds are just the same as any other play on the field.

If the players is fatigued that might be another thing.

Comment

Understand the reasoning to have the best player on the field. But still hate the idea of Sanders returning punts unless in big games or critical moments.

Returners get lit up. They take some nasty hits from multiple players and angles. Sanders is 5'11/180. Prefer him being healthy and spry running the offense over getting banged up returning punts.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    Understand the reasoning to have the best player on the field. But still hate the idea of Sanders returning punts unless in big games or critical moments.

Returners get lit up. They take some nasty hits from multiple players and angles. Sanders is 5'11/180. Prefer him being healthy and spry running the offense over getting banged up returning punts.
                    I'm with you. But I listened to Sanders presser and he loves the idea and really wants to do it, so I guess we will have to sit back and pray he doesn't get hurt.

Comment

I tend to agree with you about having your top guys on the file even more than they are.

I suspect that they will be looking for someone to do the job.

Perhaps they can coach someone up to be almost as good to handle the job, during the season and practices.

Comment

Honestly I remember sanders getting lit up more last year than any other punt returner in the NFL. As a returner he has more influence over the hits he takes as opposed to playing receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                          Honestly I remember sanders getting lit up more last year than any other punt returner in the NFL. As a returner he has more influence over the hits he takes as opposed to playing receiver.
                          Yep! I remember saying "Manning is gonna get Sanders killed" multiple times last year. PR can't be any worse.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                            Yep! I remember saying "Manning is gonna get Sanders killed" multiple times last year. PR can't be any worse.
                            Sanders is one of the toughest receivers I have seen in a while. I'm not overly concerned and I do believe he is probably our best option to excel at the position.
                            sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
                              Sanders is one of the toughest receivers I have seen in a while. I'm not overly concerned and I do believe he is probably our best option to excel at the position.
                              He reminded me a bit of Eddie Mac last year. He caught everything and got walloped about 10 times a game
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X